Checklist of Documentary Requirements

For Applications for Conversion to Non-Quota Immigrant by Marriage

(Section 13, para. A)

1. Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse;

2. General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (
BI
Form No. MCL -07-01);

3. NSO authenticated copy of Birth certificate of Filipino spouse;

4. NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of alien and Filipino spouse or authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized;

5. Bureau of Immigration (
BI
) Clearance Certificate; and

6. Plain photocopy of passport of alien spouse showing dates of arrival and authorized stay.

Checklist of Documentary Requirements

For Applicants for Amendment of Probationary Non-Quota Immigrant Visa to Permanent Resident Visa

(Section 13, para. A)

1. Duly notarized letter request from the petitioner-Filipino spouse;

2. General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (
BI
) Form No. MCL-07-01;

3. Valid ACR I-Card;

4. Valid passport of applicant; and

5. Bureau of Immigration (
BI
) Clearance Certificate.

HI...HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO ACQUIRE THAT KIND OF VISA IF U HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED? THANKS...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• misty

• JLG

• mjboone

• Mik

Top Posters In This Topic

For those members living outside the Philippines it's still probably easier to apply through your local Phil consulate. And one thing is for sure (as was mentioned above) you won't have a probationary period. Seems like doing anything here is a big hassle. I got my 13(a) visa through the San Francisco, CA consulate and it was pretty easy. I combined my trip to the consulate for the 13(a) with my wife's swearing-in ceremony for her reacquiring Philippine citizenship.

Mike in Cebu

• 4 weeks later...
mjboone
Where did you find this information, Misty?

From the Bureau of Immigration, Intramurous, Manila. When we amended my husband's 13A probationary to 13A permanent. The new requirements was just implemented last 14th January 2008. There's an officer with his assistants checking on your requirements prior to submission and they'll give you a checklist with the new 13A requirements. The only thing that needs to be accomplished there is the BI Clearance Certificate. Once you have that BI Clearance Certificate and paid all the necessary fees, you'll submit all the documents to window 5. Don't forget to bring a duplicate copy of all documents submitted, the person in charge at Window 5 will stamp your duplicate copy "received". She informed us to bring that duplicate copy once we received the Notice of Apperance from them. Waiting for the Notice of Apperance now.....

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

kabooming
Does anyone know what the;5. Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate. Consist of? Thanks

The certificate will certify if YOU, the applicant have a record with the Bureau of Immigration. Such as BI's HDO(hold departure order), Blacklist, Watchlist and/or Intelligence Derogatory Records. So basically, they check if you're a desirable or undesirable alien. Do note that your name, citizenship and date of birth is checked and verified, too.

Anyone know the procedure as to how they check to see if your an undesireable? Do they check with a Microscope, or do they just meerly have you fill the forms out and process them? I live in one state in the U.S. I have a Felony warrent in another State that is Not exacutable so would that show up? Deeply concerned and would appreciate any information about this, It may pop up in the U.S. NCIC here in the States, and just wonder if Imagration in Manila works hand in hand with the U.S? Thanks a bunch guys!

Penguin

No they don't, but I wouldn't volunteer the information. Not even on a public forum.

When I applied for a 13(a) in the US, I only submitted a police clearance from my home state. I had to submit my fingerprints to the state police. I got a letter back from them stating in part "This letter acknowledges receipt of your fingerprint card and request for criminal history record. A technical search of our master fingerprint file was conducted on the above date and did not reveal any criminal record on file with this office." I don't have any criminal record in any state so I am uncertain how extensive their search was.

Just give it a try, what can you lose.

Mike in Cebu

Does anyone know what the;5. Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate. Consist of? Thanks

The certificate will certify if YOU, the applicant have a record with the Bureau of Immigration. Such as BI's HDO(hold departure order), Blacklist, Watchlist and/or Intelligence Derogatory Records. So basically, they check if you're a desirable or undesirable alien. Do note that your name, citizenship and date of birth is checked and verified, too.

Anyone know the procedure as to how they check to see if your an undesireable? Do they check with a Microscope, or do they just meerly have you fill the forms out and process them? I live in one state in the U.S. I have a Felony warrent in another State that is Not exacutable so would that show up? Deeply concerned and would appreciate any information about this, It may pop up in the U.S. NCIC here in the States, and just wonder if Imagration in Manila works hand in hand with the U.S? Thanks a bunch guys!

Edited by M.Morey
  • 4 weeks later...
True to their words, 3 weeks since we filed my husband's 13A application in BI Manila, I received the Notice of Hearing RE: Application for Amendment of status to Permanent Immigrant by Marriage.

Now, trying to sort out a non appearance for the hearing....

Update....

We received the Notice of Approval last April 22, 2008 via registered mail and my petition for my husband's 13A (permanent) was approved last March 10, 2008. On the notice, we're just given 2 months to sort out the Implementation upon the receipt of the Notice of Approval.

It was a month after the receipt of the notice that we sorted out the Visa Implementation. We arrived at the Bureau of Immigration past 10 a.m., submitted the Notice of Approval at the second floor of the main BI building, waited whilst they pulled out their files and for the OPS (Order of Payment Slip). Once I got the OPS, off to the 3rd floor to pay for the "fees" (explanation to follow). Back to the 2nd floor to submit the receipts and wait for the Implementation, got it at exactly 12 noon! ;)

*lunch break*

Went to BDO building just besides the BI Main Building to the Fingerprinting Section, got the form and queued up for another OPS. Just our luck that their system went offline. :angry: It took over an hour or so before they were able to resume issuing OPS. Once we got the receipts, back to the 3rd floor at the Fingerprinting Section for signatures and encoding. Then off to Banco Filipino Bldg for the issuance of I-Card. Waited for an hour before the new card to be released, we got the I-Card past 4:30 p.m. Glad that everything was sorted out in one day!

The "fees"....

Implementation Fee 500.00

Form 50.00

ICR 1,400.00

Passport Visa Fee 200.00

Amendment Fee 500.00

Legal Research Fee 40.00

Total 2,690.00

*Express Lane Fee 1,000.00

*note There's 2 "express lane fee" there's single express which is 500 pesos and there's double express which is 1,000 pesos. Difference!? lol Single Express will take 2 hours before the Implementation will be released whereas Double Express only takes 30 minutes! :o

ACR I-Card (Change Visa) 2,178.50

Express Lane Fee 500.00

Fees we paid last January when we submitted the application:

Application Fee 1,000.00

Legal Research Fee 10.00

Express Lane Fee 500.00

Certificate Fee 500.00

Legal Research Fee 10.00

Express Lane Fee 500.00

Grand Total P 8,978.50

Just the annual fee to sort out now 'til the 5 years is up.... :bump:

• 1 month later...

newby here. hi everyone. Thanks Misty, for the valuable info in this thread. I needed it since I'm applying for one (first time - not changeover from probationary to permanent as it was in your case, that'll be next time for me). Thought I'd provide the following info for those who might need to do the same thing.

I got word from two different immigration agents in Manila that the whole s13(a) visa plus ACR process could be obtained through them for P 30,000. (All-inclusive they said; but you never know if they'll come up later with requests for extras that they might say they need. But it might sound like a good deal if you live far from Manila.) As Manila is not too far away from where I live (sorry, I don't live in Cebu), I thought I'd do it myself and spend the extra thousands for my own family.

I prepared:

- letter of application by the Filipino spouse;

- NSO authenticated copy of Birth certificate of Filipino spouse (obtained through www.ecensus.com.ph);

- authenticated marriage contract

- photocopy of passport of alien spouse showing dates of arrival and authorized stay

Took a short taxi ride from Central LRT Station to the main Bureau of Immigration (BI) building. After entering the BI, we went to the first desk and told them what we wanted to do. They gave us the Checklist requirements (as in Misty's first post) and the "General Application Form". Since we still needed to get two things notarized (the "letter of application by the Filipino spouse" as well as the completed "General Application Form") we asked about getting them notarized. As you might expect, there are a number of Public Notaries around that area. The BI guy said that sometimes Public Notaries might ask P 500 from some foreigners for the job but he said we should be paying just P 100 or P 200.

(If you want, you can download the "General Application Form" from the following link [ Application Form ] NOTE: Even though the Filipino spouse is the "petitioner", the "applicant" is the foreign spouse.)

The BI will also want you to provide:

- a 2" X 2" color photo of alien spouse (for the General Application Form)

- cardboard folder (manila folder of course!) with a two prong binder which they will place on the top of the folder after they punch two holes there.

They said we could get the folder at a nearby mini-mart (next to Jollibee where we had lunch, on Soriano Ave. that eventually leads to Plaza Roma in front of Manila Cathedral), which is where we went. Up some stairs and above the mini-mart are some Public Notaries. We used "N&G" Nones, Generoso & Assoc. Law Firm in Room 101 (Dante Ang Assoc. Building, beside Jollibee). The room is rather difficult to find (I think we had to go to Level 2 then walk down to what seemed to be a mezannine level which was in fact Level 1). They just charged us P 150 grand total for notarizing the two documents. (I think, properly speaking, we should have signed the "letter of application by the Filipino spouse" and the "General Application Form" in front of the notary.) They suggested we take and keep copies of those documents - just an extra P 2 per copy (more than back at the barangay, but it won't break the bank). Quite friendly and relaxed.

Back to that first desk in the BI main building. They check that all your documents are in order then they send you up four flights of stairs to Room 408. (Is that to obtain the Bureau of Immigration Clearance Certificate?) Someone there will check your documents again, then send you back to ground Level 1 to pay at the cashier. I paid P 2,520. This is what the receipts say (there are two of them):

Application fee 1000

Legal Research fee 20

Certificate Fee 500

TOTAL 1,520

Express Lane fee (Filing) 500

Express Lane fee (Filing) 500

TOTAL 1,000

(NOTE: Sign on window says that cashier closes at 4:30pm)

Never asked for nor know what the Express Lane fees are for. I just paid whatever receipts they churned out and got out of there. (Didn't see long queues anywhere. Well, just goes to show you the efficiency that can be achieved if everyone pays Express Lane fees -hehe!)

By the way, they want to keep originals of the NSO birth certificate and authenticated marriage contract inside the application folder. The Room 408 lady said you get back the originals later.

At the bottom of the first receipt is a Notice of Hearing. The hearing was scheduled for 10am three working days after my application.

I asked about non-appearance for the hearing and they said I should appear. I asked if it's possible to obtain a waiver. Response was that it would cost about P 3000, and there would be "no receipt" - get the drift?! I guess maybe it's different to Misty's situation as she was just doing the transition from probationary to permanent, whereas mine was an initial application. Or Misty, did you arrange a non-appearance initially in January (2007?) as well?

I found that the BI didn't seem to be too crowded. As I said above, there weren't any long queues and no long waits when I was there in the middle of the day (the BI building does not close for lunch), and many of the clients were just sitting around waiting and quite relaxed. Not a stressful scene. Many of the staff were very relaxed too with non-work activities/inactivity - as may have been observed by others before.

If everything goes through without any hitches, I'll provide the full wording of my "letter of application by the Filipino spouse" - there was a question about that further up in the thread.

Thanks to my honey wife for speaking and dealing with all the people involved in the process described above.

Hearing coming up.

Speck, please keep us posted about your application. My husband and I are going to apply for a 13g visa probably in August and would very much like to hear about your experience with BI.