Sign in to follow this  
Daisy

Camote Tops is good for Dengue patient...

digiteye

Is there any Medical people here on the forum that know anything about it??

By the way what is the Normal treatment for this disease, if you go to the doctor or hospital? I am totally ignorant about it other than it is carried by mosquitoes .

Though unlicensed in the Philippines, I am a medical doctor. Normally the treatment is supportive (fever medicine, infusions) and in case of severe platelet count loss blood transfusion.

Btw I have seen many times in this forum posts where members were looking for people with certain blood types to help their relatives. I also would like to encourage members to post their blood type in their profile, which appears in the posts, too. And special thanks to Paul, who had the wisdom of adding this to the profile data.

I will check medical databases about the treatment which the OP posted, however it would help me a lot if the plant's scientific name would be available.

dvo_kano

Well said, Daisy. I hope your son is much better now.

When I posted this information I have nothing in mind but just to share to anybody how to fight the dengue virus...believe me, I've been there when my son's platelet went down to 20, two months after his acute appendicitis operation and not to mention his asthmatic condition...as a Mom that was traumatic and I know and believed that it was a miracle he survived.

Tawatawa, camote tops, Monavie, Gatorade, ice cream and lots of prayers from family and friends. At that time I never realized how critical my son was with that 20 platelet count because like any average Filipina I was ignorant of a dengue virus.

It's beyond the logic of Science what faith brings to an individual for it is in itself bigger than life!!!

lazydays

I was made aware of Camote tops (sweet potato) and Tawa-Tawa treatments a few years ago,and i vaguely remember reading of PH doing some research involving Tawa-Tawa.

However,Thailand,for many years has been researching a vaccine for Dengue Fever.Their recently completed 2nd round of trials were a success,just like the 1st trials.They are now ready to roll out the vaccine within the next 3yrs.As promising as it sounds,i feel cost will be an issue for many poor locals in Asia.

(Sorry,don't have a link to the Thai story,i discovered the article in a Thai Online Newspaper).

cdpino

It would be so great if these stories wont contain miraculous elements - which for me immediately question the validity of the entire story:

" Her platelet count read 80. The same treatment was used. The following day she was back to normal."

Unfortunately there is NO WAY the platelet count gets normal in one day after any treatment. They are complex and contain proteins which have to be synthesized. In any case it would take days. Even cancer cells can't duplicate that fast, or if they could, cancer patients would die within days....

Here we are in a tropical place that kills people everyday with this dreaded fever. If this is such common knowledge why has not the government blasted it all over the papers, TV and in Hospitals..

I hope is is a true cure and will help thousands of Children who are the most affected by this disease.

Is there any Medical people here on the forum that know anything about it??

By the way what is the Normal treatment for this disease, if you go to the doctor or hospital? I am totally ignorant about it other than it is carried by mosquitoes .

From the experience of my family there treatment in the hospital usually consists of transfusions and fluids. Does anyone know of a compendium of traditonal Philippine herbal medicine?

Edited by cdpino

miles-high
Though unlicensed in the Philippines, I am a medical doctor.

Hey Doc, somewhere in this forum, a poster said Dengue is a children's disease and we don't have to worry about getting it in Cebu

retired
Though unlicensed in the Philippines, I am a medical doctor.

Hey Doc, somewhere in this forum, a poster said Dengue is a children's disease and we don't have to worry about getting it in Cebu

miles-high
I would suspect the term "miracle" is a misnomer at best.

Sorry for your misunderstanding re my use/misuse of a religious term

fred42

I was made aware of Camote tops (sweet potato) and Tawa-Tawa treatments a few years ago,and i vaguely remember reading of PH doing some research involving Tawa-Tawa.

However,Thailand,for many years has been researching a vaccine for Dengue Fever.Their recently completed 2nd round of trials were a success,just like the 1st trials.They are now ready to roll out the vaccine within the next 3yrs.As promising as it sounds,i feel cost will be an issue for many poor locals in Asia.

(Sorry,don't have a link to the Thai story,i discovered the article in a Thai Online Newspaper).

Yeah I read a couple of years ago about these trials...So glad they have been a success so far and cant wait till a vaccine is released..

Also been hearing about tawa tawa,comote tops and papaya leaves for a good few years too.. I read about some scientific research somewhere which suggests papaya leaves really do the trick.

Edited by fred42

bsclement

This is a new knowledge to me, I didn't know camote tops are good for dengue patients. I hope experts would further study this and also with the tawa-tawa.

NM1938

I am delighted to see this forum and the sharing. My wife's teen son contracted dengue fever in 2012.  He lives with relatives in Leyte, of his own choosing because he wanted to spend more time in computer cafes, than attend school.  So one weekend he visited relatives in Cebu City and that was the last I've seen of him. 

We immediately notified relatives to get the doctor to okay his drinking camote tea.  The doctor had one reservation; "Do not use the leaves with the red tint, it interferes with lab test.  Kim drank the tea and in 3/days he was ready for discharge.  The hospital kept him an additional 2/days until we wired the full payment for the bill.

The fact that camote, tawa tawa, papaya, and neem have the ability to raise blood platelets is well know to all of us who know of these remedies.  This fact is published over and over even now by doctors like Doctor Sanath Hettige whose findings have be published even in the British Medical Journal.  The information I've just posted is in other forums but I had to give my endorsement for camote tea base on our personal experience.

Each morning I drink a cup of camote or papaya leaf tea.  A researcher from the University Of Florida does the same thing once he did the research.  Reading for the first time in the Inquirer in early 2011 was enough for me to give it a try.  We all make the best decision on what we know, or who we trust.  Natural alternatives is nothing to new to me.  I smile when I think of first discovering tea tree oil products many years ago.  Now it is the things mentioned here.  At 75 years of age I am not a pill pushing addict who became life-addicted to medications because a doctor once told me I should take high blood pressure medicines.  He even gave me a prescription.  Instead, I bought a blood pressure monitor and discovered it was true-- I have what is call 'white coat syndrome'. My pressure goes up when in and around medical treatment institutions.  Any wonder why?  Oh, before I forget-- that doctor who advised me about taking the meds, that was my first visit to his clinic. I guess I would be sick with many other things by now, that was over 20/years ago.

• Like 1

Half Baked

So, by one having a high platelet count that makes them less susceptible to contracting Dengue Fever? I sure hope so. The blood center back in Houston used to roll out the red carpet for me (and my platelets) All the nurses oohed and ahhhed over my platelet count. Who's yo' platelet daddy, baby?! :)

NM1938

Camote is not a miracle, it is a plant.

Baywak

It would be so great if these stories wont contain miraculous elements - which for me immediately question the validity of the entire story:

" Her platelet count read 80. The same treatment was used. The following day she was back to normal."

Unfortunately there is NO WAY the platelet count gets normal in one day after any treatment. They are complex and contain proteins which have to be synthesized. In any case it would take days. Even cancer cells can't duplicate that fast, or if they could, cancer patients would die within days....

If you think modern medicine type thinking only-you lose everytime.

• Like 1