Sign in to follow this  
Daisy

Camote Tops is good for Dengue patient...

Daisy

The tender tops of camote or sweet potato or yam could be make as a delicious salad. Simply blanched or very lightly boiled, sweetened vinegar dressing is simply added, and it's ready to go. With sliced tomatoes and onions...it could serve as an appetizer too.

Here are some stories from filipinos I have read from a Filipino Forum:

Computer technician Wenceslao Salesale Jr., 27, was downed by dengue.

His platelet count plunged from 180 to 80. He was rushed by ambulance from

Novaliches to Manila. Inside the ambulance, a relative, acting upon the

advice of a missionary priest, made him drink soup made from camote

tops.

The following day, his platelet count was normal.

Dengue attacked the 7-year-old daughter of engineers Mar and Lita

Budlongan of Kaloocan City. Her platelet count read 80. The same treatment was

used.

The following day she was back to normal.

The 15-year-old daughter of businessman Nepomuceno Salaga of Sampaloc,

Manila had a dangerous platelet count of 80 due to dengue. The same

treatment was followed. The following day she was back in school.

If you will ask a Doctor of medicine about herbal cures al they have to say is that many,

if not most, medicines come from plants.

Research

We need not do research deep i n the rainforests of the Amazon or venture

into the ocean depths in search of the elusive cure for dengue. It is

right there in the backyard.

The following information is from Wikipedia:

"In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the

nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering

fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and

calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According

to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the

next on the list, the common potato (NCSPC)."

"...Sweet potato tops are excellent sources of antioxidative compounds,

mainly polyphenolics, which may protect the human body from oxidative

stress that is associated with many diseases including cancer and

cardiovascular diseases. Sweet potato greens have the highest content of

total polyphenolics among other commercial vegetables studied.

"Sweet potatoes contain protein, dietary fiber, lipid, and essential

minerals and nutrients such as calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium,

potassium, sulfur, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, aluminum and boron.

Sweet potatoes are also important sources of vitamin A, thiamin, riboflavin,

niacin and ascorbic acid."

Camote

In the case of Salaga, he bought five sheaves (bugkos/ bigkis) of camote

cuttings. Each sheaf consists of about 12 cuttings. Each cutting

measures about one foot. A sheaf costs about P5.

Camote tops are boiled in water to extract the juice. The boiling lasts

for about five minutes. A little salt is used to give flavor to it. The

patient is made to drink slowly and gradually. The body's immunity system is

thus revived, making dengue helpless against the body's natural defenses.

Camote enables the body to heal itself.

This is so important information because in this forum the most cases that we can read about emergencies is Dengue and sadly people are needlessly dying all around us from dengue, while their very cure is also all around us.

Long time ago, Filipinos were fond of using the derogatory statement, "Go home

and plant camote." is a joke given if one failed or encountered some misfortune in life.

So, now to ave your family against dengue, "Go home and plant camote!" (sweet potato/yam)

Mike S

Thanks for that information Daisy ..... it sounds like it would at least be worth a try ..... I wonder if you could perhaps brew some up and put it in the frig ...... but I guess it doesn't take long to make ....... anyone know how long you have and how you tell when you have the fever ...... are there particular symptoms ......

• Like 1

tom_shor

Good info. thanks

tideclipper

Great information!! Another thanks!

Daisy

I talked with Marites in the church this morning and she told me that the camote tops is helping Peter a lot. O negative is so hard to find anyway. Camote tops is everywhere... So it's not for dengue only!

joed

what about potato snacks? lol. joke only

thanks daisy, I have learn something new today. wink.png

trentz

good to know this. i'd probably go home and plant camote or maybe go to camotes island :scratch_head:

digiteye

It would be so great if these stories wont contain miraculous elements - which for me immediately question the validity of the entire story:

" Her platelet count read 80. The same treatment was used. The following day she was back to normal."

Unfortunately there is NO WAY the platelet count gets normal in one day after any treatment. They are complex and contain proteins which have to be synthesized. In any case it would take days. Even cancer cells can't duplicate that fast, or if they could, cancer patients would die within days....

Edited by digiteye

MOG

It would be so great if these stories wont contain miraculous elements - which for me immediately question the validity of the entire story:

" Her platelet count read 80. The same treatment was used. The following day she was back to normal."

Unfortunately there is NO WAY the platelet count gets normal in one day after any treatment. They are complex and contain proteins which have to be synthesized. In any case it would take days. Even cancer cells can't duplicate that fast, or if they could, cancer patients would die within days....

Here we are in a tropical place that kills people everyday with this dreaded fever. If this is such common knowledge why has not the government blasted it all over the papers, TV and in Hospitals..

I hope is is a true cure and will help thousands of Children who are the most affected by this disease.

Is there any Medical people here on the forum that know anything about it??

By the way what is the Normal treatment for this disease, if you go to the doctor or hospital? I am totally ignorant about it other than it is carried by mosquitoes .

For Real

Dengue kills at least 300 people every year in Cebu - the majority get better so maybe 1000+ people get Dengue fever a year and the lucky & fitter ones survive after a horrible ordeal....the trick is to get treatment sooner rather than later - I have not had dengue nor camote tops (the leaves - not the potato for the English) so i cannot comment on their usefeullness - i do think its all good information though.

Rest assured some local service clubs are very interested in vector control interventions - trouble is-its hard to get buy in for a wide spread project.

Countries like Singapore fumigate their condominiums drains etc with a mixture of burned kerosene on a weekly basis, and there are hefty fines for leaving any water standing for periods of time - the community is aware & alert.

IN the philippines, what individuals can do is to ensure there is no standing (unchlorinated) water (empty it into the soil) and when Mozzies are about - kill the buggers by means of spray and repel them with mosquito coils...be vigilant against Mosquitos

retired

Here we are in a tropical place that kills people everyday with this dreaded fever. If this is such common knowledge why has not the government blasted it all over the papers, TV and in Hospitals..

I hope is is a true cure and will help thousands of Children who are the most affected by this disease.

Is there any Medical people here on the forum that know anything about it??

By the way what is the Normal treatment for this disease, if you go to the doctor or hospital? I am totally ignorant about it other than it is carried by mosquitoes .

What my wife did not mention in her post about Camote is that 2 of our sons came down with Dengue within a few months of each other . My wife actually took Camote juice to the hospital and made them drink it . As for the doctors you will get various responses . Some accept it , some think it has little value and most just think it can't hurt so why not.

Being from a western culture i to had reservations but the fact is there is simply to much anecdotal evidence to say that it has no effect . My first thought was if it works why is it not being prescribed ? Maybe for the same reason that Ibogain is not sold by any drug manufacture despite the fact that it has the highest "cure" rate of any drug known to man for cocaine and heroine addiction . Because the drug companies can't patent it . It's routinely used by shamans of various cultures and because it is classified as a hallucination by he US is not legal in the US ( though used in gov. studies ) . It is legal in many cultures but maybe that's because it works .. :-)

I can't testify to the instances she mentioned but stranger things happen .

dvo_kano

Here in the Davao area, many people (some doctors too) swear by Tawa-Tawa, which is a form of ragweed. Boil it for about two minutes, discard the weed and allow the water to cool. Then, drink it up. Do this 3 or 4 times for 3 days. Supposedly works miracles.

MOG

Here in the Davao area, many people (some doctors too) swear by Tawa-Tawa, which is a form of ragweed. Boil it for about two minutes, discard the weed and allow the water to cool. Then, drink it up. Do this 3 or 4 times for 3 days. Supposedly works miracles.

Very interesting.. I looked it up here is the sight:

http://www.foodrecap.net/health/tawa-tawa-dengue-treatment/

Looks like you need to drink quite a bit.. thanks

Daisy

When I posted this information I have nothing in mind but just to share to anybody how to fight the dengue virus...believe me, I've been there when my son's platelet went down to 20, two months after his acute appendicitis operation and not to mention his asthmatic condition...as a Mom that was traumatic and I know and believed that it was a miracle he survived.

Tawatawa, camote tops, Monavie, Gatorade, ice cream and lots of prayers from family and friends. At that time I never realized how critical my son was with that 20 platelet count because like any average Filipina I was ignorant of a dengue virus.

It's beyond the logic of Science what faith brings to an individual for it is in itself bigger than life!!!

• Like 1