Stretching My Funds

wayneseymour01

wayneseymour01

The fact that you are having to ask for advice on this means that you are not ready or sure yourself if you can do it

How long have you spent in the PI?

What will happen if you have an accident and need to pay 300 - 400k up front for treatment? Have you any health insurance in the US that will cover you?

Are you preapred to live like the natives? It's one thing to say you are not a big spender but can you drop your standards of quality?

I'm not the rest of you guys that need all the comforts of the US thats why I dont live there. and I guess for some unknow reason you left too but still want the same standard of living Its not that I'm not sure but as any smart person would do I'm looking to see what I'm going to face alot of people have negative comments for me and about me I dont mind that insight helps ..did you buy a car when you were in the big so called woderful US without first readig the consumer reports or talking to the dealer first? life is a crap shoot but you search your options and weigh your alternatives first. sounds like many of you took a leap before doing what I'm doing and didnt prepare yourself or had to recoil from the culture shock ..so much for american intunuity. I am putting my ducks in a row ..thats why I'm on this forum..thanks to all those who have sincere comments anas for those who poke fun and are negative ..wel you know what I say to you...go....yourselves... you made mistakes I'm sure I just want serious non-subjective feedback so I dont make the mistakes that many of you ..like it sounds have done..Thanks
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• wayneseymour01

• Brucewayne

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in that case i seriously suggest that you do not invest in anything .

well as to me when and if you find your self burdened with to many big screen TV or to many cars ,, or bikes dont suffer alone just drop them off at my house and i will take them without charging you

your heart is in the right place but your body might not like it... riding a jeep is low cost but riding a jeep in traffic for hours is to me like smoking a carton a day...

Posted Images

wayneseymour01

Rainymike you are probably the only one that after reading your comments I feel is guinea some of the others are not getting my point I have poured over many sites and heard good and bad but still not satisfied ...the cost of living numbers from other sites don't pan out when I punch in the numbers even after giving way to adding percentages to cover the unexpected..many of the others think I'm coming from the US that's all they keep saying.I'm not from the US..I am a citizen born and raised but don't live there nor care to. I just need the numbers correctly I can work the rest .Like I had asked before but no one has answered because they are still caught up in the US way of thinking..I asked if anyone knows what the % the Banks wont pay on a 30 day term deposit and which would be the best bank for that HSBC or what? I can live like a native have done so before in other countries..just looking to live. not like a king just live.

wayneseymour01

p2.2M for a house? There are some little boxes well away from Cebu City for maybe p1.3M leaving you with p900K to invest, less than $10K. Buy some used furniture and appliances with that but don't worry about a TV because you can't afford it. Get the cheapest possible wedding but never let your savings go below $1500. .And then you've got an income of maybe p21K assuming the exchange rate doesn't go down. Hope you like buwad a lot! You'll need to spend about p2500 per month on tourist visa extensions. A month or so after you marry you can apply for a 13A visa which is cheaper over the long haul but you can't afford the upfront cost. Make certain you don't have any medical problems here. I give you maybe 6 months before you realized you made a major disaster and then you'll realize why that $1500 is so important. Fly back to the US and get a job and save up to bring your wife over.

I dont think you get my drift I dont live in the US and I don't want to... born and bred and sick of it..I explained this to her and she doesnt want to go either

wayneseymour01

you mean bunking down with the ol skipper?

ha ha very funny gfy I can get my hands on more cash just not willing to bring it all to PI

hookedtothenet
Hot Water Heater for showers..

LOL! You can cut out that if your tough! Just use the bucket and scoop that cold water! LOL!

hookedtothenet

Waynesemour01,

In my opinion from personal experience and from what info I have gathered on this forum over, you could live as a couple with your wife on a average minimum budget of P45K , preferably more of course, that would be dependent on where you lived and obviously size of apartment,spending habits etc..

There are so many expenses that you will of course have to pay out when you first move here and then continue with all the usual plus the possibility of paying for some of her families emergency expenses on occasion ;)

Come here and get a feel for the place before investing out here, many wouldn't dare to invest out here in any business, but some have given it a go and done ok.

Sorry if I can't give much info, as I think much as already been said by other forum members.

Anyway, I wish you luck and all the best for your new life out here.

Justin Kredible
.I can survive better than most of you blokes that cant do without your big screen TV and must have AC or your whining like a little girl.. I also have lived in one of the highest cost of living areas in the Caribbean. come on guys you guys really don't know what living a hard life is all about with out your little comforts ...boo hoo hoo

I was going to attack the post and not the poster, but I need pick up the dog poop from the back yard.

fredanna

There's a lot of good advice on this thread and I hope the OP will read and consider the thoughts. Meet your fiance and marry her and give the place a one year trial.

Your future wife may be who you have been searching for all of your life. Living in the Phils has many pluses and many minuses. If you want to copy Western living than it will be just as expensive as the USA. I read that you have been in other poor countries and can adapt......And who knows, the Phils might be a perfect place for you to live out your life.

A lot of beautiful places to visit there and beaches and happy people there, despite the third world status.

And I agree about investing in anything in the Phils......don't.

Edited by fredanna
  • Like 1
smokey

Hey I appreciate all your comments but for one I don't live in the US and haven't since 1991. I have lived in Honduras and in the raw countryside in Jamaica. I have also lived in Cuba where the norm of your guys so called comforts are piratically non-existent no internet no big supermarket to get your so called favorite foods..I can survive better than most of you blokes that cant do without your big screen TV and must have AC or your whining like a little girl.. I also have lived in one of the highest cost of living areas in the Caribbean. come on guys you guys really don't know what living a hard life is all about with out your little comforts ...boo hoo hoo:( I'm just doing my research just like you did before you moved or did you?) sounds like some of you guys got a culture shock when you first got there.<:>

;

well as to me when and if you find your self burdened with to many big screen TV or to many cars ,, or bikes dont suffer alone just drop them off at my house and i will take them without charging you a cent as my way to help you ... this also goes for all the members come on money is the root of all evil so unburden yourself of this evil western thing and just send it to me and i will face the evil alone..

• Like 5
wayneseymour01

well as to me when and if you find your self burdened with to many big screen TV or to many cars ,, or bikes dont suffer alone just drop them off at my house and i will take them without charging you a cent as my way to help you ... this also goes for all the members come on money is the root of all evil so unburden yourself of this evil western thing and just send it to me and i will face the evil alone..

Smokey you sound like You're only here for your desires because its not socially accepted in most areas of the united states, living here & has a "YOUNG" girlfriend or wife well you can kiss my ass, you got a cultural shock youre probable one of those

decrepit old bastards with little girls,

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Smokey you sound like You're only here for your desires because its not socially accepted in most areas of the united states, living here & has a "YOUNG" girlfriend or wife well you can kiss my ass, you got a cultural shock youre probable one of those

no need to be so hostile

aside from that your assumptions about smokey are way off base

• Like 2
smokey

welcome to the forum how does that foot in your mouth feel..... my wife is 53 and i am 61 so there goes your first look before you leap stupid statement ,,, i guess i get tired of hearing about all the guys who claim they move to the Philippines so they can live in the jungle with the lion cloth shorts... you want to live off the grid do it ,,, but just because you want to do something dont make your way of living better then everyone elses.. ,, personally i really dont care how or where you chose to live i would move to a tree house but for now i cant as there is no place to park my car and the tree blocks my cable TV /// sorry had to go back and see if i read you right you have not lived in the us for what 12 ri 15 years ? So what is your point on socially accepted things us... you left so move on

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
fredanna

Well the OP figured out that there can be bad surprises moving to a third world country. And you are correct. There have been many that have come and gone back to their country....There can be a lot of frustrations living in the Phils. A few that have spent a number of years there and pulled the plug, all of a sudden.

Many built their dream houses and sank a fortune in it and decided to call it quits..............Me and my wife and kid are only thinking of building a vacation house and visit every coupla years. We sweated through the purchase of a nice hill side piece of property (550 SqM) overlooking the Philippine Sea.

If the bana (husband) has health issues, it is best to stay in your country. The Phils docs can help with high blood and diabetes, but Cancer, they strike out almost every time. Or you have millions of pesos to go to China for expert treatment of the tough ones.

And why do some of these threads almost always get into the old man, young girl tripe?? I'm 66 and my wife is 38, we have a son who is 6.

There is advantages and disadvantages from the age difference. MY wife enjoys here Filipina world and TV and our many Fil-Am friends and raising our children. And I can still be retired and drive a school bus and play around with my hobbies. Conversations with her can be wonderful and fulfilling and then there are the misunderstandings from her culture and ours here in the USA. Nothing that is going to head for divorce.

She wants more action than I can give.........but at 66 and a young one, maybe I'll get to a high age number like 90. Most times I do not feel my age......a little more aches and pains though...When we visited there two years ago, the stares from many of the girls on the streets or nearby the in-law's house or inside Gaisano was scary....but my wife knew that I was being scanned and walked around with a smile....I liked it toooooo :surrender: ..........WOW. Good eye contact with the girls over there, compared to the USA "princesses" here.

Edited by fredanna
  • Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

the thing is

no one needs to feel superior because of the way they choose to live

why look for the approval or jealousy of others

how many times does someone have to post the 4 yorkshiremen

• Like 1