Best Restaurants in Cebu

1 hour ago, BossHog said:

All I see is some onions and meat on a bagel. With a very small side of spuds.

Not really sure how that's a 'pie'

Zoom in a little - these about as far as you can get from a bagel (which are solid, boiled then baked and chewy af).

These have a flakey pie crust - you can see that if zoomed - and all you see in the pic is the onion gravy on top of the pie lid (so much it kinda hides the pie shape). The base of the pie is under the crack/line you can see.

The steak is under the lid and not in view. There is nothing chewy about these little bewdies ?

pie.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• GBT62

• expat08

• mikewright

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good advice and i wish i had followed it last week. true story...me and an English pal were hungry and wanted to grab a quick lunch so we went to a new place that opened below the national book store

Couldn't agree more! Chunky meat, a nice onion sauce. Only one small quibble, the chips were warm, not hot. Probably a result of the length of time it takes to make the pie! The Aussie Shiraz was

"Our Place" in Pelaez St in Colon has a Farmer's Breakfast for about 210 pesos. Two eggs, bacon, fried potato, pork chop, toast, two cups of coffee, a whiff of fried onion and tomato, butter and marma

Posted Images

Jack Rat
3 hours ago, GBT62 said:

Zoom in a little - these about as far as you can get from a bagel (which are solid, boiled then baked and chewy af).

These have a flakey pie crust - you can see that if zoomed - and all you see in the pic is the onion gravy on top of the pie lid (so much it kinda hides the pie shape). The base of the pie is under the crack/line you can see.

The steak is under the lid and not in view. There is nothing chewy about these little bewdies ?

pie.jpg

I'm presuming, scrape all of the crap of the top and if you are lucky,  you might find something that actually resembles a pie.

• Confused 1
Headshot
5 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

I'm presuming, scrape all of the crap of the top and if you are lucky,  you might find something that actually resembles a pie.

446446755_Meme123.jpg.4784fed44e73d9a0824dbd9bb7b2c64d.jpg

If you have a restaurant you want to review, then please do so, but don't put down other people's reviews. Taste is a very individual thing, and just because you don't like the looks of something doesn't mean that others won't like it.

• Confused 1
Jack Rat
9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If you have a restaurant you want to review, then please do so, but don't put down other people's reviews. Taste is a very individual thing, and just because you don't like the looks of something doesn't mean that others won't like it.

9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Maybe if you have tried a true-blue, dinkum Aussie pie you would understand my statement!! Why would one drown a pie in that awful looking crap, just saying!! That is my opinion, for what it is worth, and I am sticking to it...for me, that so called pie doesn't look appetising at all. 

mikewright
11 hours ago, BossHog said:

All I see is some onions and meat on a bagel. With a very small side of spuds.

Not really sure how that's a 'pie'

OK, so it was a bad photo. Blame it on the Shiraz!

• Haha 4
Jack Rat
9 minutes ago, mikewright said:

OK, so it was a bad photo. Blame it on the Shiraz!

Mike that is precisely what I was trying to say and not offend anybody but 'Headache' saw it a different way. Some guys just have thin skins  I guess...I am heading home next month and I will make a point and get a shot of a dinkum meat pie and post it on LIC.

The place is run by an Aussie - does it need a Coles beef-checkout-receipt to make it acceptably Aussie then ?   

Sure is more Aussie than the local Spaghetti is Italian ?

The "crap" on top Mike got was onion gravy - nothing local there. You'll find a recipe on taste.com.au for it - but really it's just sliced onions in gravy.... great on snags too - I made some last week. But if you don't  want gravy - ask for none - simple.

I don't usually post naked pics online - but here's a naked treat from my freezer - sans gravy. Until I go back "home" next month and get pies, pasties and sausage rolls these will do just fine (just my tastebud's opinion of course ?

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
RogerDuMond
6 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

That is my opinion, for what it is worth, and I am sticking to it...for me, that so called pie doesn't look appetising at all. 

Why don't you try it and then give us a review rather than commenting on something you haven't tried?

Interesting to see that this thread has moved from best restaurants in Cebu to restaurants providing fast food crap similar to Pizzas....

These cheapskates think a pizza is the best thing Italian cuisine has to offer. When a really decent Italian trattoria doesn't even sell them. It's the lowest level of Italian cuisine. It makes the place look cheap and grotty if they sell pizza. Good trattorias won't even have it on the menu.

I've talked it over with Italians in the Philippines before. They say they find it kind of regrettable but without serving cheese-and-tomato sandwiches, which is all a pizza is, they can't survive in the Philippines doing an Italian line. Pizza is always a big part of the business, like 30-40% or something, in the Philippines. In Italy if you want pizza you go to their version of caranderias the very lowest level kind of eatery and line up with the guys off the building site that eat it because it's the cheapest easy and simple snack you can get not worthy of the decorum of a proper meal. You don't go to a decent trattoria to buy pizza.

mikewright
8 hours ago, max111 said:

Interesting to see that this thread has moved from best restaurants in Cebu to restaurants providing fast food crap similar to Pizzas....

Beg to disagree, sir. IMO Circa 1900 is one of the best restaurants in Cebu.  That's not only my opinion - Trip Adviser ranks it in the top 10 restaurants in Cebu.

As mentioned in earlier posts it can take them over 30 minuted to make and bake the pie, hardly "fast" food. I can only relate my experience there.  The meals I have had there, including their meat pie, were excellent.

I am assuming from your comment that you have neither dined at Circa 1900 nor tried their food. If this is incorrect, would be interested in reading your review of the place ?.

Edited by mikewright
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Jack Rat
10 hours ago, GBT62 said:

The place is run by an Aussie - does it need a Coles beef-checkout-receipt to make it acceptably Aussie then ?   

Sure is more Aussie than the local Spaghetti is Italian ?

The "crap" on top Mike got was onion gravy - nothing local there. You'll find a recipe on taste.com.au for it - but really it's just sliced onions in gravy.... great on snags too - I made some last week. But if you don't  want gravy - ask for none - simple.

I don't usually post naked pics online - but here's a naked treat from my freezer - sans gravy. Until I go back "home" next month and get pies, pasties and sausage rolls these will do just fine (just my tastebud's opinion of course ?

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

Now that's a pie!!!

• Like 1
Jack Rat
2 hours ago, badian said:

These cheapskates think a pizza is the best thing Italian cuisine has to offer. When a really decent Italian trattoria doesn't even sell them. It's the lowest level of Italian cuisine. It makes the place look cheap and grotty if they sell pizza. Good trattorias won't even have it on the menu.

I've talked it over with Italians in the Philippines before. They say they find it kind of regrettable but without serving cheese-and-tomato sandwiches, which is all a pizza is, they can't survive in the Philippines doing an Italian line. Pizza is always a big part of the business, like 30-40% or something, in the Philippines. In Italy if you want pizza you go to their version of caranderias the very lowest level kind of eatery and line up with the guys off the building site that eat it because it's the cheapest easy and simple snack you can get not worthy of the decorum of a proper meal. You don't go to a decent trattoria to buy pizza.

I would have to totally agree with you..Well said!!!!

Jack Rat
6 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Why don't you try it and then give us a review rather than commenting on something you haven't tried?

And do you think I would eat anything that looked like that, you must be kidding!

RogerDuMond
16 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

And do you think I would eat anything that looked like that, you must be kidding!

So order it with the gravy on the side or without gravy.

Think back about the things you have actually put in your mouth over the years and was pleasantly surprised.......or not..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1