Sign in to follow this  
expat08

Best Restaurants in Cebu

Jack Rat
9 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Pig & Palm has a Michellin rated chef,  I went there once and it was definitely the closest thing to 'fine dining' in Cebu.

Possibly Abaca and Shangi-La resorts. But you're also paying Western prices.

Western prices and usually half the quantity...

Enuff

If anyone is basing restaurants based on the Michelin rating system then you will never find a good restaurant anywhere.

Those restaurants are a joke, fine dining doesn't involve flower infused butter patties, truffle oil infused salt and shit like that.

Fine dining is a quality product, cooked properly and served in a timely manner in an adequate surrounding.

There are many like that depending on your tastes. I have found a few shite restaurants here but not like most. I tend to enjoy my meals and take many things into consideration. If I'm getting a good meal for a great price then obviously service will be suffering or decor outdated.

Many here think Mang Inasal is crap but you try cooking 1000 birds a day and each one to perfection, it's not easy. A chef cooking for 20-30 a day is cake.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
41 minutes ago, max111 said:

show me one (1) michelin awarded restaurant in Cebu, or the Philippines!

It doesn't matter. I have been very disappointed by the Michelin rated restaurants I have eaten at in the past. Saying that Michelin stars guarantees good food and good service is like saying the Nobel Peace Prize means anything anymore after it was awarded to Al Gore and Barack Obama for doing nothing. It is more likely that a star was awarded for impressing the raters with fancy presentation or new preparation methods than for good taste and attentive service. I have been impressed by a few of the restaurants in Cebu metro area, and I am not easily impressed.

• Like 4

GBT62

If you are looking for michelin star cuisine - and the associated prices and micro-sized portions where "plating" is more important than anything - then I'd suggest retiring in a country that supports them - and that clientele (NY, Paris, London, Tokyo etc) is a better plan.  Also be prepared to pay city rents and other living costs in line with the costs of those kinds of meals.

Cebu and the Philippines have plenty of great eating options - local and international cuisine at affordable prices - and often a much broader range than most other (not all) S E Asian countries.

The Spanish heritage has helped infuse a lot more variety here that many close by Asian neighbours.    Most ingredients also seem to be available to have a crack at cooking stuff yourself.

A growing belt line is always a good indicator of how edible the local options are ? 

• Like 4

delancey

Any review is only as good as that visit, typically. Better management increases the odds of consistency but no real miracles.

Since the staff often does not come from a restaurant or sevice culture you can’t expect either one to be proper. Compound that with the poverty most of the staff comes from and you are not going to have a long conversation about what is missing from the Coq au vin.

I shoot for decent. Rarely are the prices that high so no problem.

(Imo)

Edited by delancey
  • Like 2

savarity

Fine dining is a quality product, cooked properly and served in a timely manner in an adequate surrounding.

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

delancey

This is highly highly subjective but usually just north of P1K  “fine dining”, for two, is a far better value then P2000+ dining. The potential for poor value goes up exponentially above a cerain Php. 

Too many issues with sourcing ingredients, staff, consistency. 

(imo)

Enuff

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Correct, they could

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

SkyMan
19 minutes ago, savarity said:

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements. emoji38.png

No.

• Like 1

Headshot
30 minutes ago, savarity said:

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements. emoji38.png

But not Jollibee...  :cool:

badian

In the Philippines business standards slip. Restaurants are no different to any of the other businesses - heavy or light industry, it doesn't matter. It's not up to the same standard. So what if some Michelin starred chef starts up in Cebu. Nine months later, he'll be serving up some right shit that he'd have been thrown out of catering college for. That's the Philippines.  Everything,  including Michelin starred chefs, goes to the dogs.  And it doesn't take long either. 

• Thanks 2

SkyMan
On 6/14/2018 at 7:42 AM, badian said:

the song remains the same. 

all restaurants in Cebu, and also in all the other provincial cities in the Philippines, are shit. Your only chance of getting a decent meal in a restaurant that is about the same standard as you would expect in a medium-sized city in the United States, is in Manila and the NCR. The rest - forget it. 

Considering the source that is high praise for Cebu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GBT62
On 6/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, mikewright said:

Additional info. Across from circa 1900 Casa Uno is a similar establishment, Casa Dos. Popped our heads in on the way out, ‘cause had heard that was the place they sold meat pies.  Looked good. Bakery that would leave Michelle’s for dead. Told the waiter that we had already eaten but were just checking the place out. Told to take a seat, sent over some ice water and the menu in case we wanted to come back another day. Were given the schedule for live music days (ukulele I think!). Again, professional service.

We went to Cicada on the weekend in search of said pie ........ and damn - not disappointed.

So far I have been trying to find a pie here with a decent flaky pastry - so many use a heavy dough like an empanada.....

Cicada's Aussie Meat pie off this menu 

http://circa1900cebu.com/cicada-menu/

is the flakiest and tastiest I have found so far.  Certainly the freshest also - they make them to order (40 minutes from order time). I know because when ordering I asked if they sold them take-out from  the bakery section nearby - so they made me a spare to take home. I found this out when  paying the bill - I wanted more but they said it'd be another 40 minutes....so I will order ahead for later. Others in Cebu that I have tracked down have always been frozen - and they don't thaw and cook well.

The Sangria was nice and cold and refreshing for 300PHP  in a large glass, if I wasn't driving home we'd have stayed for a few more of those by the pool. Next time Grab...

Finally - the "bits  to share" option called "Fresh Baked Tortilla Chips with Queso Con Carne, Pickled Jalapeno, Tomato Salsa & Olives" for P225 - was probably the nicest and fanciest Nachoe-style entre I have ever had ....delicious.

All I need now is to find a local version of a Chiko Roll ? 

• Like 3

mikewright
On 6/18/2018 at 2:06 PM, GBT62 said:

We went to Cicada on the weekend in search of said pie ........ and damn - not disappointed.

So far I have been trying to find a pie here with a decent flaky pastry - so many use a heavy dough like an empanada.....

Cicada's Aussie Meat pie off this menu 

http://circa1900cebu.com/cicada-menu/

is the flakiest and tastiest I have found so far.  Certainly the freshest also - they make them to order (40 minutes from order time).

Couldn't agree more! Chunky meat, a nice onion sauce. Only one small quibble, the chips were warm, not hot. Probably a result of the length of time it takes to make the pie!

The Aussie Shiraz wasn't bad, either.

IMG_20180617_152129460.jpg

IMG_20180617_152153408.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

BossHog

All I see is some onions and meat on a bagel. With a very small side of spuds.

Not really sure how that's a 'pie'

• Like 2
  • Confused 1