Sign in to follow this  
expat08

Best Restaurants in Cebu

Enuff
well hard for a recommendation we all have different taste  and what we used to eat back home, if I do love a RESTAURANT and invited some of my friends they maybe do not like the food, food his a very tricky experienced speciality here, seem to be  a lottery  anywhere some are good but many are bad but PINOY love it 
Agree but if bad to you and Pinoy love it then your example is spot on.

We all have different tastes

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

badian

the song remains the same. 

all restaurants in Cebu, and also in all the other provincial cities in the Philippines, are shit. Your only chance of getting a decent meal in a restaurant that is about the same standard as you would expect in a medium-sized city in the United States, is in Manila and the NCR. The rest - forget it. 

• Like 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, badian said:

all restaurants in Cebu, and also in all the other provincial cities in the Philippines, are shit. Your only chance of getting a decent meal in a restaurant that is about the same standard as you would expect in a medium-sized city in the United States, is in Manila and the NCR. The rest - forget it. 

How is the ice cream business going? Are the Muslims still your best customers as you tool around the neighborhoods selling gourmet ice cream from your van?

Edited by Headshot
  • Haha 2

Edwin
2 hours ago, badian said:

I disagree. Antonio's in Yagaytay and the White House in Davao are excellent fine dining restaurants. There are others in both of those cities but I don't remember their names. They aren't for the low budget traveler and based on your travelogs I wouldn't think you are much of a gastronome.

• Like 1

Busted Dick
On 4/16/2018 at 4:32 PM, aussiekangaroo said:

Anyone know if there is any place to buy good quality frozen meat pies like four N twenty in Cebu?

I buy pies from a guy called Simon Walton.  Not sure that he's on LinC but he is on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/simon.walton.98 does a range of products including bacon at decent prices.

• Like 4

jtmwatchbiz
11 minutes ago, Busted Dick said:

I buy pies from a guy called Simon Walton.  Not sure that he's on LinC but he is on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/simon.walton.98 does a range of products including bacon at decent prices.

very good tip and thanks.  my wife has been curious to try some so we will get in touch with this fellow. 

4 hours ago, badian said:

with all due respect you are wayyyyy out of your league on this topic and obviously don't have a clue about the restaurant scene in cebu city.   best you stick to posting about topics that fall within your profoundly limited budget like yodeling into a microphone at some dive videoke joint.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TheMatrix
4 hours ago, badian said:

That may have been true 10 years ago, but Cebu now have world class restaurants that compete with the best of them.  

• Like 1

GBT62
46 minutes ago, Busted Dick said:

Thanks - in my never ending quest to find a good local meat pie, sausage roll and/or pastie I'll try this guy too ?

Looking at his FB page I kinda guess they won't be halal ? 

• Haha 1

liquido
1 hour ago, TheMatrix said:

but Cebu now have world class restaurants that compete with the best of them. 

I would not go that far..... but from what I read and not have experienced nor do i have my own food critic TV show The Pig & Palm sounds like they have there act together....

Busted Dick
1 hour ago, GBT62 said:

Thanks - in my never ending quest to find a good local meat pie, sausage roll and/or pastie I'll try this guy too ?

Looking at his FB page I kinda guess they won't be halal ? 

I guess not but I take care to avoid politics, unless I am drunk!

newtocebu
4 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

Simon is a very nice guy and I can vouch for his food

(he also used to manage Jokers Arms back in the day)

• Like 1

savarity

None of the European restaurants around have really knocked my socks off yet, but there are some good ones. Tavolata for Italian (Fortuna), No.9 or Ipsar's for Spanish, Anzani Prime for steaks and Asian style deserts.

I still want to try Pig and Palm, Abaca's original place, and Circa 1900 mentioned here.

Ribpublic (near capitol) and batchoyhouse328 are surprisingly good, cheap, specialty Filipino restaurants, ribs and batchoy respectively.

However, when it comes to Japanese restaurants, I think a few of them are really great, for the area. Nonki's original location (Fortuna) is a good example. Azabu's (Gorordo ave) new style sashimi is almost equal to how it is in Nobu's restaurants, at least the one in Manila. And Ramen Yushoken (Oakridge mall) is just... superb. It's at competition level with ramen houses in Japan.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

badian
On 6/14/2018 at 5:17 AM, TheMatrix said:

That may have been true 10 years ago, but Cebu now have world class restaurants that compete with the best of them.  

the trouble with this is is that these guys were trying to talk up Cebu's totally appalling gastronomical scene here even then, ten years ago, when yes it was even worse than it is now. 

there's definitely more restaurants, and more scope, and choices even, than before. But I don't think it has actually improved that much.

because there's a lot more restaurants now than there used to be and with it being something of a numbers game, that increases the probability of a decent meal somehow slipping in there now and again. But all it has amounted to in essence, is that now there is even more totally mediocre, lame restaurants in Cebu than there was before. 

Edited by badian

max111
On 6/14/2018 at 6:17 AM, TheMatrix said:

show me one (1) michelin awarded restaurant in Cebu, or the Philippines!

Doesn't mean there aren't any good restaurants, but none that can compete with the best in Europe or elsewhere.

The best one I went to was Gustavian, Banilad and Ayala, but they are long gone. Now it seems there are many other good ones (which I have not visited) as mentioned in this thread.

Just to say something else that might upset some of you is that.... many of you have been there so long you accept how the food tastes there and somewhat loosing how it tastes in your home countries.

• Like 1

max111
1 minute ago, RangerUp said:

Pig & Palm has a Michellin rated chef,  I went there once and it was definitely the closest thing to 'fine dining' in Cebu.

Possibly Abaca and Shangi-La resorts. But you're also paying Western prices.

Yes, but he was Michelin awarded in one of his restaurants in UK. Not in Cebu.

Jack Rat
9 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Pig & Palm has a Michellin rated chef,  I went there once and it was definitely the closest thing to 'fine dining' in Cebu.

Possibly Abaca and Shangi-La resorts. But you're also paying Western prices.

Western prices and usually half the quantity...

Enuff

If anyone is basing restaurants based on the Michelin rating system then you will never find a good restaurant anywhere.

Those restaurants are a joke, fine dining doesn't involve flower infused butter patties, truffle oil infused salt and shit like that.

Fine dining is a quality product, cooked properly and served in a timely manner in an adequate surrounding.

There are many like that depending on your tastes. I have found a few shite restaurants here but not like most. I tend to enjoy my meals and take many things into consideration. If I'm getting a good meal for a great price then obviously service will be suffering or decor outdated.

Many here think Mang Inasal is crap but you try cooking 1000 birds a day and each one to perfection, it's not easy. A chef cooking for 20-30 a day is cake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
41 minutes ago, max111 said:

show me one (1) michelin awarded restaurant in Cebu, or the Philippines!

It doesn't matter. I have been very disappointed by the Michelin rated restaurants I have eaten at in the past. Saying that Michelin stars guarantees good food and good service is like saying the Nobel Peace Prize means anything anymore after it was awarded to Al Gore and Barack Obama for doing nothing. It is more likely that a star was awarded for impressing the raters with fancy presentation or new preparation methods than for good taste and attentive service. I have been impressed by a few of the restaurants in Cebu metro area, and I am not easily impressed.

• Like 4

GBT62

If you are looking for michelin star cuisine - and the associated prices and micro-sized portions where "plating" is more important than anything - then I'd suggest retiring in a country that supports them - and that clientele (NY, Paris, London, Tokyo etc) is a better plan.  Also be prepared to pay city rents and other living costs in line with the costs of those kinds of meals.

Cebu and the Philippines have plenty of great eating options - local and international cuisine at affordable prices - and often a much broader range than most other (not all) S E Asian countries.

The Spanish heritage has helped infuse a lot more variety here that many close by Asian neighbours.    Most ingredients also seem to be available to have a crack at cooking stuff yourself.

A growing belt line is always a good indicator of how edible the local options are ? 

• Like 4

delancey

Any review is only as good as that visit, typically. Better management increases the odds of consistency but no real miracles.

Since the staff often does not come from a restaurant or sevice culture you can’t expect either one to be proper. Compound that with the poverty most of the staff comes from and you are not going to have a long conversation about what is missing from the Coq au vin.

I shoot for decent. Rarely are the prices that high so no problem.

(Imo)

Edited by delancey
  • Like 2

savarity

Fine dining is a quality product, cooked properly and served in a timely manner in an adequate surrounding.

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

delancey

This is highly highly subjective but usually just north of P1K  “fine dining”, for two, is a far better value then P2000+ dining. The potential for poor value goes up exponentially above a cerain Php. 

Too many issues with sourcing ingredients, staff, consistency. 

(imo)

Enuff

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements.

Correct, they could

SkyMan
19 minutes ago, savarity said:

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements. emoji38.png

No.

• Like 1

Headshot
30 minutes ago, savarity said:

I think McDonald's could pass based on those requirements. emoji38.png

But not Jollibee...  :cool: