Sign in to follow this  
expat08

Best Restaurants in Cebu

Mikala

German Haus at the Overpass near Ayala

Can you give some better directions? I've walked thru that area dozens of times, but never noticed it. I miss German food from my days in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Being 1/2 German meant that I never had German food at home. Kind of strange, that...

nomad4ever

It's a bit tricky to find... When you walk out from Ayala near the Bread talk, turn left and face that Insular Insurance, you can see left side a big intersection with an overpass (I think it's Archbishop Reyes Ave). I just walked across the intersection (even though that's almost suicidal) and then up the exit lane of that overpass on its left side. When you reach the hill, it's on your left side in the second floor... The name is in green neon letters...Right next to a Japanese karaoke bar, if I'm not wrong....

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

Edited by nomad4ever

Alfred E. Neuman

I'm becoming a regular at Feria's of Radisson Blue Hotel on Tuesdays or Thursdays(600 half price). Real fresh Chinese noodles, osso bucco, roast duck, ice cream, and coffee all unlimited. My wife likes the Japanese section and lechon as usual. While my kid only cares for the Italian section and delis. Really worth it.

• Like 4

miles-high

We went to La Maison Rose again and I would like to retract my recommendation thereof (see my post above)…

Selecting your appetizers, main courses and side dishes through iPads is OK but they served the main course while we were still eating the appetizers is not OK! Maybe they are using some old Apple OS to cook and the timers may not have been set correctly or something… The food was either overcooked or not cooked – awful! Only good thing about the place was their selection of wine but we left there most food uneaten… and went back to the hotel, ordered a room service of another bottle of wine and food…

We then tried Anzani – someone told me it’s got a nice view – he must have been drunk – all we could see was the houses on the next hill… wine selection is OK, food was OK but nothing to write home about – I guess some would call it a tourist trap… I guess we are the uninformed tourists here…

:sorry:  :cry:  :(

• Like 1

delancey

Went to an expensive restaurant and the waitress did not understand "check please" and only understood " bill please" and was almost fearful of interacting with the table.

Went to another restaurant where main courses come out at the same time as appetizers.

Another where they ran out of chairs. (Available tables just no chairs to sit.)

Another partially named "waffle house" that had no waffles in stock.

You really can't teach a pig how to sing here in Cebu.

Inadequacy, inconsistency and reactive only service... 

Michelangelo's Pizza represents price/consistency/value, so far.

MaKe

I found a reasonably priced, yet tasty Indian restaurant from the website 032.  It's called Firozian Indian Tea House  and it is located on Don Jose Avila St in Cebu City.  It is  at the back of Cebu Doctors University Hospital, adjacent to Tagalas Chicken and beside Julie’s Bakeshop.  Their phone number is 032) 412 0161.

They have an extensive menu and very reasonably priced.  I have had the chicken masala, kabobs, spinach paneer  and their roti...all very good! 

I encourage you to give it a try..

Be prepared though, no formal seating (chairs) everyone sits on the floor with pillows...a bit uncomfortable for me, but definitely worth it as the food is awesome.

I did find that the baklava (the Greek desert) is contrary to the rest of the food there!  It was dry and it appears that hard pie crust was substituted for the flaky filo that normally graces this delicacy. 

post-13499-0-47050300-1402731723_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaKe
  • Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

I must have a bad Firozian day when I went there. The waitresses didn't seem willing to serve. Their hummus is blah. Their biryani is ganador, not basmati. I only enjoyed my can of Royal soda.

• Like 1

Monsoon

We went to La Maison Rose again and I would like to retract my recommendation thereof (see my post above)…

Selecting your appetizers, main courses and side dishes through iPads is OK but they served the main course while we were still eating the appetizers is not OK! Maybe they are using some old Apple OS to cook and the timers may not have been set correctly or something… The food was either overcooked or not cooked – awful!

:sorry::cry::(

That has historically been the problem with fine dining in the Philippines: consistency.

Our last visit to Maison Rose was disappointing as well. Well I take that back, it was the time before. On our last visit we just had pizza and the chef came over to help us order because the staff was almost worse than useless. He was helpful and told us he would make whatever kind of pizza we wanted. It was OK but I didnt go to a French place for pizza.

The ipad thing is a real pain in the ass. especially when they dont bring enough for everyone at the table.

Bringing things out of order or bad timing is inherently Filipino.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Monsoon

I found a reasonably priced, yet tasty Indian restaurant from the website 032. It's called Firozian Indian Tea House and it is located on Don Jose Avila St in Cebu City. It is at the back of Cebu Doctors University Hospital, adjacent to Tagalas Chicken and beside Julie’s Bakeshop. Their phone number is 032) 412 0161.

]

Ive been there. I hope they have gotten better since my last visit, oh 5 months ago maybe. They were in over their heads. We ordered a bunch of stuff, there was like 6 of us. An hour later after getting only about 20% of what we ordered we told them to cancel whatever wasnt currently being cooked. Well we got nothing else.

Totally inept staff and management. The samosas were decent, but FFS if you can't make a decent samosa why bother opening an Indian place.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tamed

The samosas were decent, but FFS if you can't make a decent samosa why bother opening an Indian place.

Was Indians there or was it run by Filipino's?

That is like going for Pasta at a Chinese run Italian food place.

Rocketman

Went to Circa1900 this week and was impressed with both the food and the service.  The house was built in 1900 and has been completely redone - looks new.  Prices were very reasonable for what you get.  We had 1 appetizer, 1 soup, 2 entrees and 2 drinks.  Total came to P2000.   I'll go back.

delancey

It's not in the "DNA" of the people to meet standards that would define a consistent restaurant. Are cooks and servers trained from birth to eat as cheaply as possible really going to understand what decent food and service is? Reactive service only, essentially unable to interpret in advance needs as simple as filling water, difficulty with supply chains, poor organization and efficiency. Poor staffing. Myopic bottom line thinking over relationship building... You are unlikely to eat at a restaurant with a long family lineage of elevated food service. Keep it simple with expectations and don't risk it at the higher price point joints (whatever you interprit as a high price point). imo

• Like 2

nomad4ever

I went a few times to Firozian and had also mixed results. When there's more than a handful of people, the service will take forever. The place is actually run by an Indian guy who married a Filipina. But he's rarely on site. When he's there, things work smoother...

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

Half Baked
this is the best German food I tried in SE Asia

Ate here today. Really good food,  was a little sad that I had the place to myself around lunch time.

Owner came in about the time I was finishing. I told him that his food was good and staff was nice and helpful. He said that most of his business comes at night when I said it was a shame that the place was empty.  Mentioned the CEbu Expats Group to him and he seemed pretty interested, so maybe he will come on board with that.

I forget the name of the entree I had but it was a roast beef with a sauce over it, purple saurkraut ( a little too sweet alone, but actually went well with the sauce over the beef)and potatoes. Small slices of bread with butter came out beforehand. I kept smelling something kinda funky, and thought it might be the butter. Turned out it was the bread! AND it was delicious! I mean, as much as small slices of bread can be delicious. I ended up sopping up the sauce of the roast beef with this bread and definately enjoyed it. It was a huge portion, I almost quit after half the meal.. but managed to finish it. When ordering, I did ask them to please take it easy on the salt as a lot of places really go overboard.

Owner was really nice and took pride in his restaurant and employees which was kinda nice. Stop by if you like German food, its not bad! (I'm not affiliated in any way with this restaurant or its owner)  

Edit: German Haus Restaurant

near Ayala Mall before the flyover on right (coming from Talamban) after the flyover on left coming from Aylala Mall.

Yet another edit: This flyover is on MJ Cuenco Ave.

Edited by Half Baked
  • Like 1

Tamed

We ate at italianni's in Ayala next to Cyma (which is also very good) and found it to be excellent. The service was outstanding and maybe the best I have experienced in Cebu. The only disappointment was that the dish i ordered said "button mushrooms" in the meal but they were other type of large cut mushrooms. But the pasta meal was delicious and the free bread they serve was also top notch. I was also impressed how the waiter served my very cold beer and poured it for me into a chilled tall glass. The waitresses were all really well trained, friendly and professional. Oh, unfortunately these restaurants charge a service charge of 10% I think so consider that, they are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

• Like 4