Sign in to follow this  
expat08

How do you learn Cebuano?

SkyMan

I heard the dialect changes from town to town in Cebu. So you can't learn perfect.

I don't think there is much change between towns. Maybe between Bogo, Cebu City, and Santander but it's probably only differences a local would hear. Santander may have some influence from Negros but even Negros isn't much different Saying ulan instead of uwan. We have enough trouble just making out words let alone hearing variations. The biggest variations you're likely to hear without leaving the island are by going back sa bukid where the language used is older. I'm even told back sa bukid somewhere in the center of the island is a small Spanish speaking community. Edited by SkyMan

expat08

My filipina has told me there are several little nuances around Cebu with the language.

KeithAngel

Your absolutely right Paul. In the rural area I live few speak English well and usually speak to me in Bisaya.

At the moment my 18 month old daughter is starting to speak. Already she speaks more Bisaya than me and can on a simple level communicate her thoughts to the locals. She is my teacher now and listening to my inlaws teach her to speak has really aided my progress in learning the language. So every now and then I can actually understand what people are really saying.

I downloaded the Morman language guide from this site and use it as a guide to reinforce my vocab but I find it hard going since formal and spoken Bisaya is different.

In a recent revelation I realized that it is a simple speaking process. If you remove all prepositions, adverbs etc and simple state the subject, then what happened and the add an exclamation word you have a basic stentence form that is easily understood for example.

where are you going--------------ASA KA

to the market-----------------------MERKADO

to buy water since the water is not flowing now---------TUBIG SUSS!! AGAS WALA KAYO.

you have the perfect version to learn the language tobster just as you learnt english (i presume) from your Mum stick with her learning and take no notice of anyone who says you need deductive learning as well

expat08

Problem is my friends and girlfriend have ZERO INTEREST in teaching me........

Headshot

Problem is my friends and girlfriend have ZERO INTEREST in teaching me........

Really? I wonder why... :huh_01:

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

expat08

Really? I wonder why... :huh_01:

I talk too fast/fluent in English and I'm not white. It's already a nosebleed as they say. What more if they teach me another language?

Edited by expat08

tobster

Yes, or if living in the province is not appealing, I suggest anyone you hire have little or no English ability and try to speak to them and any other Cebuanos as much as possible. If you have a maid or yaya or yayo, have your wife explain to them you are trying to learn Cebuano and to correct you if you say things wrong. If you make mistakes, and you will, who cares? It's good for a laugh.

Yes, a child learning the language will teach you much of the street language but learning the queen's Cebuano is far from the street version which has many shortcuts. I always advise learning the formal and from there the street lingo is easy but the other way around is much harder.

Yes, nouns and verbs is enough for the street but you won't be able to read a paper or understand a politician or whatever. Asa ka? for example, means litterally Where you? or Where are you? not Where are you going? Which would be Asa ka moadto? However, if the person you are asking is there in front of you going out the door or whatever and you know where they are, Asa ka? is enough for Where are you going? To the market would be "Sa merkado" but formally Moadto na ko sa merkado. I will now go to the store. You might want to rethink your use of Sus (not suss), Particularly around kids as it is short for Jesus. And there are 2 As that are both pronounced in Kaayo.

The qUote I WAS A OUOTING MY 18 MONTH OLD CHILD HAD WITH CONVERSATION WITH A 5 YEAR OLD CHILD SQUATER 2 WEEKS AGO SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ..........MY BABY WHO IS 18 MONTHS OLD OR A SCATTER WHOSE PARENTS WILL NEVER HAVE THE MONEY TO SEND THEIR KIDS TO SCHOOL.............WTF ARE ATTACKING KIDS NOW EVEN EVAN WOULD NOT DO THIS.............ARE YOU MAKING YOURSELF LOOKING BIG AT THE SAKE OF CHILDREN WTF.......YOU ARE A LOW BAG NO BETTER THAN EVAN...............YOU ARE WORSE THAN EVAN......................IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME TAKE IT DOWNSTAIRS

tobster

you have the perfect version to learn the language tobster just as you learnt english (i presume) from your Mum stick with her learning and take no notice of anyone who says you need deductive learning as well

WTF

Mattnlenny

Has anyone learnt from Buds course "Essential Cebuano"? I am getting into that now I'm in Cebu.

tobster

ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT IN 5 YEARS OF MARRIAGE AND AN EBOOK MY BABY HAS DONE WHAT THESE OTHER MEASURES COULD NOT.....I AM BEGINING TO UNDERSTAND THE LINGO COS OF MY 18 MONTH BABY

• Like 2

Headshot

ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT IN 5 YEARS OF MARRIAGE AND AN EBOOK MY BABY HAS DONE WHAT THESE OTHER MEASURES COULD NOT.....I AM BEGINING TO UNDERSTAND THE LINGO COS OF MY 18 MONTH BABY

My MIL told me to just be patient learning Cebuano. She said our baby will teach me. Thanks for confirming that.

• Like 1

Cipro

Yes! definately. The name of the school is NALA (North American Language Institute) in Mabolo, Cebu City

It's run by an American and his German wife.

Just curious, it's not NALI for North American Language Institute, but NALA?

Faluango

Just curious, it's not NALI for North American Language Institute, but NALA?

Oh sorry, it's NALA for North American Language Academy

thebob

Has anyone learnt from Buds course "Essential Cebuano"? I am getting into that now I'm in Cebu.

I'm also interested in hearing any comments about the course. It is very difficult to come to an opinion based on the meagre snippets on the website.

budbrown

Hi Everybody,

Since my name was mentioned I thought I'd give my two cents. The Essential Cebuano course is a 177 page ebook with audio and video files. It's core is ten dialogues centered around common situations you'll have here in the Philippines, ie. In the market, at someone's house, in a restaurant, etc. There are lots of lists of vocabulary words and phrases. The Gold package, which includes all the audio and video files is $97 and the Silver Package is $47. It comes with a 30 day %100 money back guarantee, no questions asked...meaning if you don't like it, just request a refund..pretty simple. I don't know any car dealer where you can try out the car for 30 days then return it and get all your money back, do you? I have sold, to date, about 200 courses and only 1 person asked for a refund, after a couple of hours. He said "Rosetta Stone is better." (I didn't know Rosetta Stone had a Cebuano course) Actually he didn't have to give any explanation. I just replied "no problem" and gave him his money back. On the other hand, I've had TONS of compliments. The website has the Table on Contents, samples of the audio and video files and other info. Some people suffer from "analysis paralysis" and never take action. If you want to learn Cebuano, get the course. If you don't like the course, you'll get your money back, no problem! Sounds like a no-brainer to me :=)