Sign in to follow this  
expat08

How do you learn Cebuano?

expat08

Conversational (Casual) Cebuano

Deep Old Cebuano

Social Media Kind of Cebuano

I'm gonna start with 2 year old learning materials made here. (books, videos, audio). You all think I'm crazy don't ya?

Paul
You all think I'm crazy don't ya?

Not at all. When I first began learning Cebuano. my former wife used poster boards, tape, and markers to write the English and Cebauno meanings of most of the objects in each room. This is how I built my initial vocabulary. Later, she worked with me on sentences.

• Like 1

expat08

Not at all. When I first began learning Cebuano. my former wife used poster boards, tape, and markers to write the English and Cebauno meanings of most of the objects in each room. This is how I built my initial vocabulary. Later, she worked with me on sentences.

DLI Presidio Monterey California....Top honors grad top me that. Yet to test it though...I'll give it a shot this month and stick with it. There are other tricks too he mentioned.

Edited by expat08

Paul

It worked for me. Later, I had a tutor, Sem Villar, who taught me a lot. He lives in the area of Metro Cebu now. I can text some in Cebuano and read, although not fluent. So, there are a lot of words I do not know. But, I can understand most of what a newspaper has in it. Speaking, about the same, but not fluent by a long shot. When my g/f and I are together again, she will continue to speak to me in Cebuano, always forcing me to know it.

Headshot

You all think I'm crazy don't ya?

Well...yeah...but that has nothing to do with you learning Cebuano (Bisayan). :stick_poke:

Learning Bisayan is one of the smartest things you can do if you're going to spend much time here. It isn't an easy language to learn though. Half of the language is in the gestures and facial movements, so texting or talking on the phone can cause misunderstandings even between native speakers.

Edited by Headshot

expat08

It worked for me. Later, I had a tutor, Sem Villar, who taught me a lot. He lives in the area of Metro Cebu now. I can text some in Cebuano and read, although not fluent. So, there are a lot of words I do not know. But, I can understand most of what a newspaper has in it. Speaking, about the same, but not fluent by a long shot. When my g/f and I are together again, she will continue to speak to me in Cebuano, always forcing me to know it.

Sem Villar? Is he a private tutor or college professor here?

expat08

Well...yeah...but that has nothing to do with you learning Cebuano (Bisayan). :stick_poke:

Learning Bisayan is one of the smartest things you can do if you're going to spend much time here. It isn't an easy language to learn though. Half of the language is in the gestures and facial movements, so texting or talking on the phone can cause misunderstandings even between native speakers.

Met Koreans that can speak Cebuano even with the mannerisms

Paul

He's an old friend, and a tutor to many foreigners. He taught the US Consular Agent (Cebu), a number of years ago. I believe he lives in Minglanilla now.

expat08

He's an old friend, and a tutor to many foreigners. He taught the US Consular Agent (Cebu), a number of years ago. I believe he lives in Minglanilla now.

I'll try to get in touch and see if he's willing to teach me in some consistent lessons (once a week?)

expat08

Not get off topic but what is the background of the Consular Agent in Cebu? Or his story how he ended up here and how long he's been here? Or what he does in Cebu? I've heard alot of people complain about him. I've had some serious problems come up with him. Did the tutor have issues?

Edited by expat08

Kim_

Very nice! That's the way to do it..... myself, am still trying to learn Spanish...
  • Like 1

Paul

I"m sure he would work with you on whatever schedule you wanted. It's been a long time since he taught me - 2007. But, I had him come for 1.50 to 2 hours, five days per week. Send me a PM and I will send you his contact information when I get back. I will send him a text to see if I can get his email address too.

K. gtg eat. laterz.

Paul

Not get off topic but what is the background of the Consular Agent in Cebu? Or his story how he ended up here and how long he's been here? Or what he does in Cebu? I've heard alot of people complain about him. I've had some serious problems come up with him. Did the tutor have issues?

No time to go into that now, but it is a different topic for another thread. Okay. laterz.

Ungaro

I sure need help with that. I speak 11 languages (spoke 4 before the age of 8) but Cebuano gives me the creeps. The vowels are not discrete (ukay-ukay is pronounced okay-okay, the consonants are slurred, often interchangeable (and not just the Fs and Ps) and the grammar is not discernable. I asked my wife the difference between nimo and ikaw, why do you say "para nimo" and not "para ikaw"? She said, "It sounds better". She has not heard of the objective case of nouns. Asking her about verb declention gets a shrug. I obviously need professional help.

• Like 1

Paul

Headshot can give you some background on John. He's not a bad person, really.