Am I Pissing in the Wind?

BossHog

So, I haven't been back stateside for nearly twenty years and have been married for almost that long to my Surigaonon wife.

I HAVE to go back this coming fall (September/October) for a few weeks to take care of some legal stuff.

I'm taking along one of our girls (no worries as she holds a US passport) but we really want her mom to come along with us.

We have NO intention of immigrating (hell, I don't even want to go) and don't know what visa to apply for.

I understand the tourist visa is quite difficult to attain and don't want to waste my time and money on something that's pointless.

We don't have bank accounts anywhere and all employment/income is way off the grid so documenting stuff is impossible.

experiences and informed suggestions appreciated.

Edited by BossHog
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• BossHog

• shamgod41

• expat08

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PM Larry in dumeguete(Shadow)-He's great about helping out people,

I would add in the "In your favor" catagory you mentioned she is well traveled right? That will help a lot, particularly first world countries. So it's about $130 plus her trip to Manila. No reason

Cost of applying for a tourist visa;   $160+ a trip to manila for her.   Accumulated costs of applying DCF;   $873+ a slightly longer trip to Manila.   Without assets/verifiable income it is u

cebubird

PM Larry in dumeguete(Shadow)-He's great about helping out people,

• Like 1
BossHog

The wife and I have been to lots of other countries together but we can't seem to figure out how to enter mine.

Is it really this hard?

thebob

Good luck! Can you get into Mexico and sneak over the border?

Headshot

There is no harm in trying. PM Skyman. He is one of the only guys I know who was able to get his wife a tourist visa on the first try. Basically, you need to write a letter and tell them why you are going and what your plans are. Then...SHE will have to give them the letter when she hands them the application (they won't ask for it, but it seems to be a critical piece if you want any chance of success). You will NOT be able to go into the Embassy with her, so you have to make sure she has everything she might need going into the embassy. If you own a home, have evidence of that. The fact that you have been married for a long time will count in her favor. You need to read every topic in this forum dealing with tourist visas to the US.

However, I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass. The odds of her getting a tourist visa are still overwhelmingly stacked against her. If everything goes to Hell (and it can very easily), then you will have spent $160 plus the money for a trip to Manila for nothing, but then nothing ventured...nothing gained. If everything goes right for her in the interview, she might get the visa. I'm sure it would make the trip much more pleasant for all of you if she goes.

expat08

...It's not that difficult.

1. Have all your papers and documents always completed on time for the process and especially the trips to the US Embassy. Have all originals of birth, marriage, IDs, passports etc, voters ID and tax ids or whatever else you got.

2. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS they give you. Don't try stupid shortcuts on VisaJourney.

3. Obviously have a legit reason you can prove that is for TOURIST PURPOSES. Planning a trip, vacationing...wanting to go see a college football rivarly, attend a concert, go tour yellowstone park...and show you are looking at these and have contacted places,.....and have the funds.

4. They want to see you WILL BE GOING BACK to the Philippines....that you have relatives, job, home, family, kids etc etc etc.......

and be straight with them. don't change topics or stories or flip flop. that will get more probing and probably denial on suspicion.

It is not that hard but people easily screw it up.

expat08

So, I haven't been back stateside for nearly twenty years and have been married for almost that long to my Surigaonon wife.

I HAVE to go back this coming fall (September/October) for a few weeks to take care of some legal stuff.

I'm taking along one of our girls (no worries as she holds a US passport) but we really want her mom to come along with us.

We have NO intention of immigrating (hell, I don't even want to go) and don't know what visa to apply for.

I understand the tourist visa is quite difficult to attain and don't want to waste my time and money on something that's pointless.

We don't have bank accounts anywhere and all employment/income is way off the grid so documenting stuff is impossible.

experiences and informed suggestions appreciated.

Have documentation of income or funds to provide for the trip. Or an affidavit from someone else who is funding the costs and legally responsible.

They don't want some accident in the USA and then the US Government has to flip the welfare bill for the tourist.

shadow

There is no harm in trying. PM Skyman. He is one of the only guys I know who was able to get his wife a tourist visa on the first try. Basically, you need to write a letter and tell them why you are going and what your plans are. Then...SHE will have to give them the letter when she hands them the application (they won't ask for it, but it seems to be a critical piece if you want any chance of success). You will NOT be able to go into the Embassy with her, so you have to make sure she has everything she might need going into the embassy. If you own a home, have evidence of that. The fact that you have been married for a long time will count in her favor. You need to read every topic in this forum dealing with tourist visas to the US.

However, I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass. The odds of her getting a tourist visa are still overwhelmingly stacked against her. If everything goes to Hell (and it can very easily), then you will have spent $160 plus the money for a trip to Manila for nothing, but then nothing ventured...nothing gained. If everything goes right for her in the interview, she might get the visa. I'm sure it would make the trip much more pleasant for all of you if she goes.

Not much to add to that.

In your favor;

Length of marriage and time here.

Against you;

Assets/income, or rather the lack thereof.

As Headshot implied, it will come down to presentation. Properly presented, you may have a 50/50 chance.

Larry in Dumaguete

shamgod41

I got a Tourist Visa for my wife under those same circumstances -- I hadn't been married 2o years though. And I know others that have done the same.

expat08

Yeah they want to have a good basis to know you're going back to the Philippines...your home and PLAN TO STAY THERE.

And can pay for it or someone will legally cover it. Not the US Government

And your trip is legit and plan to go see America's Great Attractions...and spend lots of money.

SkyMan

Not much to add to that.

In your favor;

Length of marriage and time here.

Against you;

Assets/income, or rather the lack thereof.

As Headshot implied, it will come down to presentation. Properly presented, you may have a 50/50 chance.

Larry in Dumaguete

I would add in the "In your favor" catagory you mentioned she is well traveled right? That will help a lot, particularly first world countries. So it's about $130 plus her trip to Manila. No reason to go along unless you want to cause they won't let you in. Do the letter HS mentioned and have her hand it to the interviewer on top of the app. And any support docs underneath.

If you don't want to try to bother trying that then you need to do a DCF spousal visa which is about 9 times the cost and technically is an immigration visa. For that you'll need a US address (friend or relative) and be able to show something over $20K income.

• Like 1
SkyMan

My opinion:

88642d1264209118-will-steeda-18-cam-work-stock-e7te-heads-peeing-20wind-20decal-20sticker-20calco.jpg

Or is that a spitting trouser snake?
shadow

I would add in the "In your favor" catagory you mentioned she is well traveled right? That will help a lot, particularly first world countries. So it's about $130 plus her trip to Manila. No reason to go along unless you want to cause they won't let you in. Do the letter HS mentioned and have her hand it to the interviewer on top of the app. And any support docs underneath.

If you don't want to try to bother trying that then you need to do a DCF spousal visa which is about 9 times the cost and technically is an immigration visa. For that you'll need a US address (friend or relative) and be able to show something over $20K income.

Cost of applying for a tourist visa;

$160+ a trip to manila for her.

Accumulated costs of applying DCF;

$873+ a slightly longer trip to Manila.

Without assets/verifiable income it is unlikely a tourist visa will be granted.

Without assets/verifiable income, a DCF will NOT be granted.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
Paul

Cost of applying for a tourist visa;

$160+ a trip to manila for her.

Accumulated costs of applying DCF;

$873+ a slightly longer trip to Manila.

Without assets/verifiable income it is unlikely a tourist visa will be granted.

Without assets/verifiable income, a DCF will NOT be granted.

Larry in Dumaguete

Just like I said - pissin' in the wind.