Dog Breeding in the Phills

Doromaner

When I look on Sulit it seems that some registered pure breed dogs are selling consistently for P10,000 to P15,000 each. Breeds such as Shih Tzus and Rottweilers seem in demand. Does anyone have any knowledge of the viability of this as a small side business in the Phills? Maybe have 2 or 3 high quality females and hire a stud periodically.

When I look on Sulit it seems that some registered pure breed dogs are selling consistently for P10,000 to P15,000 each. Breeds such as Shih Tzus and Rottweilers seem in demand. Does anyone have any knowledge of the viability of this as a small side business in the Phills? Maybe have 2 or 3 high quality females and hire a stud periodically.

Small dogs will sell much easier.

Get a breeding pair ,you want consistent product plus you can breed daughters with desired features later on.

Brucewayne

I had checked Sulit for Jack Russels and saw that some were in small cages like in a puppy mill.

I also visited a "breeder" in Tayud and his dogs were not only in small cages, but all of the females were blind (Shi Tzu).

Could have been from being in the full sun much of the day or, more likely, poor diet.

Anyway, I am still looking for a decent pair of male Jack Russels which are home bred, not caged like lab rats along with all the problems that can cause.

easy44

I had checked Sulit for Jack Russels and saw that some were in small cages like in a puppy mill.

I also visited a "breeder" in Tayud and his dogs were not only in small cages, but all of the females were blind (Shi Tzu).

Could have been from being in the full sun much of the day or, more likely, poor diet.

Anyway, I am still looking for a decent pair of male Jack Russels which are home bred, not caged like lab rats along with all the problems that can cause.

James, the owner of The Ranch restaurant used to breed Jack Russells before he opened the restaurant, and I think still might, on a smaller scale. I got a Jack from him a few years ago and she's a great dog. James loves his dogs and treats them like family. You might try going by there for lunch or dinner and talking to James. If he doesn't have any, he might know who does.

Brucewayne

Where is that place?

Never heard of it, but perfectly willing to check it out.

Even if he doesn't have the dogs anymore, it might be a good outing for a day.

James, the owner of The Ranch restaurant used to breed Jack Russells before he opened the restaurant, and I think still might, on a smaller scale. I got a Jack from him a few years ago and she's a great dog. James loves his dogs and treats them like family. You might try going by there for lunch or dinner and talking to James. If he doesn't have any, he might know who does.

Edited by Brucewayne
easy44

The Ranch is on the Banilad-Talamban road on the right hand side just a little ways past the AS Fortuna intersection going towards Talamban.

• 2 months later...

breeding dogs in the phils are increasing every year. Most breeders started from hobbies to small scale business. Just make sure to get from a quality breeder and bloodline if you want to start breeding dogs. Invest once, invest right as they say. I have english bulldogs and dobermann pinscher as well both wonderful studs from very good line. Let me know if you need some dogfood supplier, i know one who can deliver to your house at a cheaper price than most pet stores. Hopefully your just in cebu city for them to deliver. They carry good brands and based in labangon.

Brucewayne

Where is that place?

Never heard of it, but perfectly willing to check it out.

Even if he doesn't have the dogs anymore, it might be a good outing for a day.

Well, we didn't make that trip, but we got lucky and someone gave us a free JRT for free.

The mother died and the litter had to be hand fed, so the breeder gave the litter to the mother in law of a friend of mine.

I got the last one, a great little female.

My thanks to Jim and his Mother in law, as this saved me a lot of time and money.

YES, always get a look at the parents,or do not buy.Do not worry about 'papers' here as they can be....

Get the puppies as soon after birth as possible,6-8 weeks MAXIMUM.Dogs here are treated as a business and not much is put into their care.The longer they go unsold the less they get taken care of as the profit disappears for the seller.It is tragic what I have seen happen to some puppies I have seen here.I rescued one that was near death,another week and she would have been gone.All she needed was anti-diarrheal medicine too.I wanted to strangle the guy who was sellin her.SHE became a beautiful German Shepherd but was so improperly cared for her insides did not develop correctly.She later ate a puffer fish (discarded on the beach by a thoughtful fisherman)and died from the little bit she digested.

Interbreeding maybe?

YES, always get a look at the parents,or do not buy.Do not worry about 'papers' here as they can be....

Get the puppies as soon after birth as possible,6-8 weeks MAXIMUM.Dogs here are treated as a business and not much is put into their care.The longer they go unsold the less they get taken care of as the profit disappears for the seller.It is tragic what I have seen happen to some puppies I have seen here.I rescued one that was near death,another week and she would have been gone.All she needed was anti-diarrheal medicine too.I wanted to strangle the guy who was sellin her.SHE became a beautiful German Shepherd but was so improperly cared for her insides did not develop correctly.She later ate a puffer fish (discarded on the beach by a thoughtful fisherman)and died from the little bit she digested.

6 weeks is totally not recommended.

8 weeks up to 12 weeks is the best, they need time to be with their brothers and sisters and mother before leaving for their new family

Edited by Mr.T
  • Like 1

I was thinking about doing the same, maybe even bringing in dogs from Europe but i'm not sure if they would survive the long trip. Anyone has experience with this?

American Staffordshire Terries (Pitbulls), Belgian Malinois and German Shephards seem to be in demand

Brucewayne

Interbreeding maybe?

Maybe, but the cages were in full sun and no cover to shelter them from rain or sun.

Brucewayne

6 weeks is totally not recommended.

8 weeks up to 12 weeks is the best, they need time to be with their brothers and sisters and mother before leaving for their new family

When I was raising poms with my late wife, we kept them with the bitch until at least 8 weeks, longer if they were miniatures (runts).

Mostly, it was for the immune system and antibodies the mother's milk gave them.

At 6 weeks, I shot them up with an anti parvo/distemper vaccination, then at 8 weeks, I gave the usual 5 way combo.

After that and a good worming, we put them up for sale.

• Like 2
musicman666

make sure you cage them all round..... when they start to bark all day and night neighbours will start to lob over meat laced with rat poison.