New visa extension rules

Filipino policy makers and law makers always insist on burning down the barn to get rid of the mice.. They forget that this kind of mentality will drive away foreigners who pump MONEY into this Titanic of an economy. Mark L, the.lone.gunman, For Real and 2 others like this Like This It's always darkest

YES,you are correct. No matter what the reason someone who enters the country has got to spend money to stay.Crapping in their own rice bowl is the phrase I would use to describe any action BoI takes to get anyone to leave.

Most foreigners who do stay in the country have the money to do so.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• samatm

• SkyMan

• ancienrocka

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just from reading this forum over recent years I have seen many people who stay in the Philippines on a tourist visa. Some married or in a long-term relationship, or who stay for many reasons.   It

Filipino policy makers and law makers always insist on burning down the barn to get rid of the mice..   They forget that this kind of mentality will drive away foreigners who pump MONEY into this Ti

As Dragon said, it does seem that it is "business as usual" for most people renewing their tourist visas.   This new policy does exist but it seems that at the moment it is "targeted" at one particu

I'm sure things will become clearer over the next few days. It could be false information and/or there could be many exceptions.

Yes, I was unsure how you could stay here longer than 16 months without many "motions for reconsideration" which are usually granted only in exceptional cases.

My last two visa extensions at the BOI office in Mandaue took my authorized stay out beyond 16 months. Both were handled in the same manner as all of the previous ones. Never was I asked any questions or bribes made. It was business as usual.

Things may have changed or BOI might just enforce the rules they want to enforce when they feel like.

It would be nice to hear the experiences from others in places like Davao, Manila, Dumaguete, and other areas outside of Cebu City.

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct. What I said is that most others CAN almost always take another visa route if they wish. Those who are married can get a 13A visa or come in on a BB stamp. Anybody over a certain age (isn't like 40?) can get a SRRV if they wish to stay long-term. Koreans (and other Asians) coming here for English classes can get a student visa. That doesn't leave many people out. Truthfully, even most expats could go the SRRV route if they wanted to stay badly enough. My thought is that, if this change is real, Immigration just wants people to get the appropriate visa rather than just coming here (and staying) on a tourist visa.

Do you have proof or BOI data to back up your generalized claims of the ages of "most" expats or their intentions while here in Philippines? Edited by Mark L
  • Like 1
Reynaldo

Most foreigners who do stay in the country have the money to do so.

Not true, there are many foreigners that cant afford to live here. There are several topics and threads regarding foreigners needing jobs here, as well as, many foreign beggars.

For Real

I, when residing there found it cheaper more often than not to be a tourist - 13A costs and the associated departure tax was about as costly as the extensions. I was never on a set routine. Its more likely its people like (ad hoc visiting husbands) they want to align, sex tourists have a set arrival/departure date and sex pats gravitating to the Philippines are usually well over 40 years of age and have lesser means than a working man

Reynaldo

since the op posted this all that is being said is bullshit and speculation about the ph visa extension.All that is happening is alot of folks are now stressed out and untill i arrive in a week where i will walk into the BOI myself and get my own answers i wiil take anything said about this topic as ass wipe unless one smart individual with his ass planted in the ph with a good online reputation for past facts gets online and posts in sentances we can all understand on what he and he only was told on his visit on this day about the visa extension process.

Are you implying that there are members here that don't have good online reputations?

I would guess that quite a few long term regular guys are on tourist visas too.

YES,you are correct.It is easier in some cities here to just re-up the tourist visa than to get a different one.$$$$$$$$$$

the whole visa experience here is kinda funny/ridiculous as they make it soooo complicated AS IF people are trying to sneak in the country RATHER than what is really happening,Filipino's trying to get the feck out.

I must learn to speak Cambodia's language.

SkyMan

Ya yesterday MONDAY I was directed to the directors office and he filled me in directly. I was at month 23 needing an extension. He told me to get a tix, show proof, get an extention, leave the country, comeback and start over for another 24 months or just get a BB or 13a. He was very clear.

But that doesn't mean you do not now require an exit ticket if you are only hear say 6 months.
This kind of thing makes the Cambodian immigration guys look real smart because the money stays in the country and isn't paid out to foreign airlines and hotels.
But they are generating some money for the local airlines and the gov't fees for flying.
unless one smart individual with his ass planted in the ph with a good online reputation for past facts gets online and posts in sentances we can all understand on what he and he only was told on his visit on this day about the visa extension process.
You mean like the OP?
Things may have changed or BOI might just enforce the rules they want to enforce when they feel like
He did say effective today.

Not true, there are many foreigners that cant afford to live here. There are several topics and threads regarding foreigners needing jobs here, as well as, many foreign beggars.

Those aren't fpreigners, they are "unfinanced aliens."
I, when residing there found it cheaper more often than not to be a tourist - 13A costs and the associated departure tax was about as costly as the extensions.
Depends on how long you plan to stay but you don't have to plan for too long before the 13A saves money. I seem to recall my probationary 13A costing around 4 extensions and the permanent 3. The ECC is a pain but is good for 1 year so if you travel a lot it's not bad.
You're already fluent.
$$$$$$$$$$
samatm

Well thats the way I understood it from the Headman on Monday. I go back today with my proof of tix out and will seek clarification.

Skyman What is an ECC?

Edited by samatm
greatplace

samatm ECC is Emigration Clearance Certificate which will include your Re-entry Certificate

Davaoeno

snapback.pngJ n J, on 23 May 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

You're already fluent.

snapback.pngJ n J, on 23 May 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

$$$$$$$$$$

Thats not fluent- that affluent !!

Edited by DAVAOENO
  • Like 1
Dragon

samatm ECC is Emigration Clearance Certificate which will include your Re-entry Certificate

It is an exit clearance and the two I have gotten in the past had no re-entry.

Edited by Dragon
streak03

So, I guess all those evil "sexpats" can't afford a round trip ticket to HongKong or Singapore like the "normal people"? You guys fecking kill me.

• Like 1
For Real

So, I guess all those evil "sexpats" can't afford a round trip ticket to HongKong or Singapore like the "normal people"?

That's just more heresay unless we conduct a sexpat outgoings survey - I hope the OP has some confirmation soon of the policy so we can narrow down the debate.

mpt1947

As usual I didn't bother reading all the replies, so if someone has already offered my perspective, sorry for taking up your time.

It has been about two years since I bought my last ticket from the US to the Philippines - but I recall the airline - whether it was PAL or Delta wouldn't let me on the plane unless I could show I had either a Round Trip or onward ticket. So what is all the shock about - Unless most of you are in my age group, and can't remember you are required to leave at some point in time.

An E-Ticket is considered an Original, that is what the airline checkin desk uses to verify that you have paid and they will issue a Boarding Pass based on that E-Ticket. So you can go to BoI with your E-Ticket showing that you have a means of leaving the country.

The ticket departure doesn't have to be the same date as when you visa expires - it has to be at least that date, or Later. So you don't need to buy a new ticket for every time you extend your Visa.

My last trip from the US to the Philippines I bought a R/T ticket on PAL - I knew I was going to stay here past the 6 months the Return Ticket was good for - so when the six months was nearly up, I turned my ticket into PAL and had a throwaway ticket from Tiger Airways. After all the hidden and out in the open fees, I got about 25% of the value of the ticket refunded to me.

In retrospect what I should have done in April/May of 2010 was to buy a oneway ticket on PAL to Cebu and then bought an onward ticket on Tiger Airways to Singapore. I think those tickets are good for 6 months and can be extended - but even if they can't, it cost about $25.

Now I just got my 13a Probationary and will have my Permanent next year, so like many of you, I no longer have to worry about bi-monthly reporting - don't know what the exit fees are, but still can't be that much and I am not likely to leave the Philippines more than once or twice a year.

The complaining that is going on here reminds me of the enforcement of the dress code - when I extended my Visa the first time I was aware of a dress code and when I got to BoI there were signs posted informing the users (us) what the dress code was - I noted that many people had flip flops on, shorts, sleeveless shirts etc. On particularly warm days I wished I was in violation of the rules.

Then one day the BoI said we are enforcing the rules and everyone (just about) was up in arms about how BoI can change these rules blah blah blah....

Just my Two Cents

• Like 2