New visa extension rules

For Real

There was talk of the automatic 21 day visa going to 30 days...has this happened yet?

Also does the BB visa have the same conditions as before?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• samatm

• SkyMan

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just from reading this forum over recent years I have seen many people who stay in the Philippines on a tourist visa. Some married or in a long-term relationship, or who stay for many reasons.   It

Filipino policy makers and law makers always insist on burning down the barn to get rid of the mice..   They forget that this kind of mentality will drive away foreigners who pump MONEY into this Ti

As Dragon said, it does seem that it is "business as usual" for most people renewing their tourist visas.   This new policy does exist but it seems that at the moment it is "targeted" at one particu

Headshot

No You only need to show proof of outward bound tix if you are near the end of 24 mo stay. For example I just completed my 23rd month and to get an extension for 1 month I need to show an outbound tix.

Sam, are you SURE? According to Ancienrocka, this change in policy just went into effect TODAY. Were you at Immigration TODAY that you know this to be untrue? Ancienrocka clearly said that Immigration won't grant ANY extensions without an onward ticket. That doesn't sound like it only involves people who have already been here too long anyway (since somebody on a tourist visa has to get special Immigration permission to stay beyond 16 months).

Headshot

They forget that this kind of mentality will drive away foreigners who pump MONEY into this Titanic of an economy.

I doubt that they forgot anything. They know how much money the sexpats bring into the country. As for those who are here for reasons other than just sex, most can find another visa route that will protect them from this change.

ancienrocka

I'm sure things will become clearer over the next few days. It could be false information and/or there could be many exceptions.

Yes, I was unsure how you could stay here longer than 16 months without many "motions for reconsideration" which are usually granted only in exceptional cases.

ancienrocka

I think this measure is not targeted at westerners although we may become caught up in its implications.

Cipro

Maybe I'm flying to Cambo sooner than later.

Alan S

Just from reading this forum over recent years I have seen many people who stay in the Philippines on a tourist visa.

Some married or in a long-term relationship, or who stay for many reasons.

It isnt ONLY those who travel for sex that use a tourist visa, and any assumption that it is, is clearly erroneous.

• Like 7
Headshot

Just from reading this forum over recent years I have seen many people who stay in the Philippines on a tourist visa.

Some married or in a long-term relationship, or who stay for many reasons.

It isnt ONLY those who travel for sex that use a tourist visa, and any assumption that it is, is clearly erroneous.

You are absolutely correct. What I said is that most others CAN almost always take another visa route if they wish. Those who are married can get a 13A visa or come in on a BB stamp. Anybody over a certain age (isn't like 40?) can get a SRRV if they wish to stay long-term. Koreans (and other Asians) coming here for English classes can get a student visa. That doesn't leave many people out. Truthfully, even most expats could go the SRRV route if they wanted to stay badly enough. My thought is that, if this change is real, Immigration just wants people to get the appropriate visa rather than just coming here (and staying) on a tourist visa.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan
There are many people "crying" at the office.
Did you personally witness this or just assume so? If this did occur then my bet it is for every extension and not just at 22 months as those are very few if any.

This is bad for the tourists though and expensive, especially if followed logically. In other words, you would have to arrive with an outbound ticket for departure within the first 21 days, then get another within 38 days for the first extension and a new one for each 59 day extension. You couldn't use one exit ticket say 330 days out because that would be beyond your extension.

Edited by SkyMan
samatm

Sam, are you SURE? According to Ancienrocka, this change in policy just went into effect TODAY. Were you at Immigration TODAY that you know this to be untrue? Ancienrocka clearly said that Immigration won't grant ANY extensions without an onward ticket. That doesn't sound like it only involves people who have already been here too long anyway (since somebody on a tourist visa has to get special Immigration permission to stay beyond 16 months).

Ya yesterday MONDAY I was directed to the directors office and he filled me in directly. I was at month 23 needing an extension. He told me to get a tix, show proof, get an extention, leave the country, comeback and start over for another 24 months or just get a BB or 13a. He was very clear.

• Like 1
KennyF

Why do these counties make these stupid rules?

It's the same in Thailand.

They want to force you to make a farcical visa run so you spend your money outside RP.

As an alternative consider this.

When you enter Cambodia you pay $20 for a tourist visa which can be extended ONCE only, and then you MUST leave.

Or, you opt for a business visa for $25 which can be extended for 3, 6 or 12 months.

There is no 'proof' for this visa, you just ask for it.

The 12 month extension is about $280 which works out to $23.30 (just over 1,000 pesos) month.

At the end of 12 months you go to immigration, pay another $280 and that's that.

No leaving the country.

This kind of thing makes the Cambodian immigration guys look real smart because the money stays in the country and isn't paid out to foreign airlines and hotels.

KonGC

throttleplate

since the op posted this all that is being said is bullshit and speculation about the ph visa extension.All that is happening is alot of folks are now stressed out and untill i arrive in a week where i will walk into the BOI myself and get my own answers i wiil take anything said about this topic as ass wipe unless one smart individual with his ass planted in the ph with a good online reputation for past facts gets online and posts in sentances we can all understand on what he and he only was told on his visit on this day about the visa extension process.

• Like 2
throttleplate

One more thing,i am not in any way sold on the ph even as i have lived there for a year and am on my way back.I being ex military and used to extensive travel i am gettin more interested in what kenny has goin on in cambodia.I have checked out kennys site but not much deep info there.Kenny,are you in cambodia now?If so and a person wants to come visit are you open for a get together to give a person some advice on do's and donts.

KennyF
I have checked out kennys site but not much deep info there.Kenny,are you in cambodia now?If so and a person wants to come visit are you open for a get together to give a person some advice on do's and donts.

We're still setting up and don't expect to get underway properly for about a month.

I'll be there (in PP) in August and I can't wait because the Aussie Gold Cost is feking cold and boring in winter.

Even though Living in Cambodia is not fully go, there are quite a few local guys have already signed up so my suggestion is to join, and ask specifics.

(use the same nick as LinC or let me know who you are)

KonGC

• Like 1