New visa extension rules

ancienrocka

We have just been told by BoI that, as of today, no tourist visa extensions will be granted unless the applicant can show an original copy of an onward outbound ticket.

There are many people "crying" at the office.

The actual details are very sketchy at the moment and we are not sure how it all will work. We will update you when we know more.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• samatm

• SkyMan

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just from reading this forum over recent years I have seen many people who stay in the Philippines on a tourist visa. Some married or in a long-term relationship, or who stay for many reasons.   It

Filipino policy makers and law makers always insist on burning down the barn to get rid of the mice..   They forget that this kind of mentality will drive away foreigners who pump MONEY into this Ti

As Dragon said, it does seem that it is "business as usual" for most people renewing their tourist visas.   This new policy does exist but it seems that at the moment it is "targeted" at one particu

Headshot

We have just been told by BoI that, as of today, no tourist visa extensions will be granted unless the applicant can show an original copy of an onward outbound ticket.

There are many people "crying" at the office.

The actual details are very sketchy at the moment and we are not sure how it all will work. We will update you when we know more.

This could really change the "landscape" of the foreign population. It sounds like they are trying to get rid of the sexpat population (who are mostly here on extended tourist visas).

KennyF

One of the first things to find out I would think is what is meant by 'original'.

Most travelers only have an eticket so there is no 'original'.

Mind you, only a year or so ago Thailand was refusing entry to people with multi tourist visas saying 'you're not a tourist'

KonGC

KennyF

This could really change the "landscape" of the foreign population. It sounds like they are trying to get rid of the sexpat population (who are mostly here on extended tourist visas).

I would guess that quite a few long term regular guys are on tourist visas too.

KonGC

Forefall

Whew!! I got in here originally without an onward ticket. Hehehe. I feel lucky now. (13-A holder now)

Edited by Forefall
samatm

ONLY if you are over or at the end of your 24 months from what I understand. You are allowed 24 months (with extensions) but must leave at least once every 2 years. If you are nearing the end of your 24 months, they will ask to see proof of your ticket to leave in order grant you your last extension. I was told this yesterday at BI and am in the process of getting my ticket out.

• Like 2
Forefall

ONLY if you are over or at the end of your 24 months from what I understand. You are allowed 24 months (with extensions) but must leave at least once every 2 years. If you are nearing the end of your 24 months, they will ask to see proof of your ticket to leave in order grant you your last extension. I was told this yesterday at BI and am in the process of getting my ticket out.

That makes sense. Just buy a ticket to HK and be done with it.

Headshot

I would guess that quite a few long term regular guys are on tourist visas too.

KonGC

I didn't mean to imply that ONLY sexpats are on extended tourist visas. Certainly, many others are here on that status as well. It might behoove anybody who CAN get a different kind of visa...to do so. Of course, this rule change won't affect anybody who has a BB stamp or any kind of permanent resident visa, so if you can qualify, it might be time to go one of those routes. Most sexpats, however, really have no other option other than the extended tourist visa.

samatm

Yup fortunately CEB is running a special to HK ..round trip about 6K

Headshot

I think the furthest out you can buy an onward ticket for is 330 days, so unless you pay rescheduling fees to the airline, the onward ticket will run out before your stay does.

samatm

I think the furthest out you can buy an onward ticket for is 330 days, so unless you pay rescheduling fees to the airline, the onward ticket will run out before your stay does.

No You only need to show proof of outward bound tix if you are near the end of 24 mo stay. For example I just completed my 23rd month and to get an extension for 1 month I need to show an outbound tix.

Edited by samatm
ancienrocka

I don't want to cause a panic and I only reported what we were told by a normally very reliable source of information. He/she may have it wrong; I certainly hope so!

aussiekangaroo

I extended my visa yesterday and was not required to present a onward ticket, I was expecting to be charged about 7,000 for the extension as my I-Card expired on the 2nd of May but was only charged for the 1 month extension and not for a new I-Card.

• Like 1
State Trooper

Filipino policy makers and law makers always insist on burning down the barn to get rid of the mice..

They forget that this kind of mentality will drive away foreigners who pump MONEY into this Titanic of an economy.

• Like 6