A tourist visa to the US...

Headshot

I see you guys are more interested in attacking me and namecalling than discussing the issue.

Here's the thing Skyman, you don't get to speak for the Federal Government. You say you're "Sure the government is

happy is immigrant visa holders leave'. Really? Where's your evidence? This is classic bad internet advice. The text is perfectly clear, immigration visas are for immigrants and tourist visas are for tourists. Your game of armchair lawyer/linguistic coach could get someone in lot of trouble. You're telling people to lie by trying to parse clear language in to something that fits your needs. A safer bet is FOLLOW THE RULES and not play semantic games. What is a person supposed to say if an immigration officer asks a spouse "Do you plan to live in the USA?' You can't say they don't ask that, they can ask you anything they want.

And how do you know legal action has never been taken? You have access to all legal records? Basing your case on conjecture is reckless. Telling people to lie is irresponsible.

I still don't see how I'm misquoting you, you're a permanent resident, and you Fil spouse got a tourist visa -- which is my point and you corroborated it. You said " Yes, my wife applied for a tourist visa and I have a 13A and she got it first try. "

Anyway both you and Larry of Dumagette have both admitted that my method works, so I don't know why you keep arguing and insulting when all you have to do is read your own words. You're both on the record validating my suggestion that a viable means to a tourist visa for a Filipino spouse is through Permanent Residency for a USC.

I don't see where Larry or Skyman admitted that your method works at all. And...just in case you think I am validating what you said...I AM NOT! It is true that having a 13a slightly increases your odds for getting a tourist visa for your wife. Owning a house and a vehicle also increase your odds...as does a fat bank account. There are a few other things that can improve the odds too. However, they increase your odds from a 0% chance of approval to a 1% chance of approval. Many here have tried (with a 13A visa in hand) and failed. What Skyman did differently was to have his wife hand the consular officer a carefully crafted letter (which I have read) along with the application. That changed the mood and the outcome. However, even with the letter, the odds were still stacked against his wife getting the visa. Skyman knows that. They just don't give tourist visas away like candy. Believe me...I wish they did. Then my wife would have met my mother before my mother died.

Edited by Headshot
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• shamgod41

• smokey

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does this have anything to do with a tourist visa? Ya know, the subject?I'm the guy you misquoted. Looks like you pieced together parts of 3 or more posts with mine in the middle to get the outcome

You don't get to tell me who I speak for and don't speak for. And immigrating means you can never leave? Tell that to the former CEO of FB. I myself spent a lifetime in Alabama one year. How so?Yes

Easier n cheaper just go to Disney in Hong Kong.

SkyMan
you don't get to speak for the Federal Government.
You don't get to tell me who I speak for and don't speak for.
immigration visas are for immigrants and tourist visas are for tourists
And immigrating means you can never leave? Tell that to the former CEO of FB. I myself spent a lifetime in Alabama one year.
Your game of armchair lawyer/linguistic coach could get someone in lot of trouble.
How so?
What is a person supposed to say if an immigration officer asks a spouse "Do you plan to live in the USA?'
Yes, I'm certainly not going there to die. Find any USCIS reference to the fact that a spousal visa is not to be used to visit the US temporarily and I will only then agree with you. I'm sure most any DMV website in the US says that you need a D/L to drive a car but many people get them just to have a widely recognized ID and may not even own a car or ever drive except just enough to pass the test. The DMV site does not say the D/L can be used as an ID but people do. Even more so, the SS Admin specifically states the SSAN is not to be used as an ID or for any purpose other than SS and yet you pretty much can't pick your nose without someone requiring you to give them your SSAN. Are you saying these acts are also illegal and dangerous?
And how do you know legal action has never been taken?
You missed the part where I said...
You will not find
As in, knock yourself out and try to find such a case. I will not bother to search for the non-existent. If you do manage to find such a case and correctly quote it here with a link to the actual source then I will bow to you.
I still don't see how I'm misquoting you
As Larry said, read my post and then read what you posted from it.
You said " Yes, my wife applied for a tourist visa and I have a 13A and she got it first try. "
And I am the only expat I know of who can say that. I know there are probably a few others but not many.

I have never said your method works whatever your method is. I doubt Larry has either. Please bugger off.

They were then willing to look at her supporting documentation.
The only supporting documentation they asked to see was a copy of my 13A.
Most applicants don't have that advantage, and just follow the consular officer's instructions.
Anyone can write a letter.
The tourist visa is a huge gamble that offers little chance of success the first go-around.
It's not a huge gamble, I think $130 plus a r/t to Manila. It's huge probability of failure maybe. If you're in a hurry and can afford, the spousal is the way to go. If we have plenty of time and think it's worth the risk, no problem taking a shot at the tourist visa but follow my philosophy of expecting the worst and perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, you can always tell a troll, you just can't tell 'em much. Skyman out.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
shamgod41

I agree that going the route you did (with the letter) increased your wife's odd of getting a tourist visa. However, I think time of day and the mood of the consular officers had a lot to do with the final outcome. Your letter (that your wife handed the consular officer along with the application) made them laugh (the consular officer even took it to show his supervisor). They were then willing to look at her supporting documentation. Most applicants don't have that advantage, and just follow the consular officer's instructions. Doing so is a sure recipe for denial. The tourist visa is a huge gamble that offers little chance of success the first go-around. The spousal visa is almost a sure thing. Yes...it costs more, but not as much as having to apply twice (once for a tourist visa and once for a spousal visa after the tourist visa is denied) in order to obtain a visa.

You are absolutely correct. Like I said, I have talked with people both at the consulate and the embassy (both before and after we went to the US on a spousal visa), and have been told EVERY time that going this route will cause NO problems for future visas. In fact, we were told that getting the visa, taking the trip, returning to the Philippines and surrendering the green card voluntarily substantially strengthens our case for a tourist visa the next time we apply. We are not planning to go to the US with a spousal visa again for another 14 years when we take my daughter to the US for high school. My wife will get her US citizenship at that time, and then we will come back to the Philippines to live again.

That is exactly how I read it too. He is a troll and a shit-stirrer. He just wants to throw out some misinformation to confuse those who want to understand the truth before laying down their money,

what misinformation are you talking about? the info I posted has been corroborated by the same guys attacking me personally.

shamgod41

I have never said your method works whatever your method is. I doubt Larry has either.

Your experience was exactly the same as mine. Repeat, same experience. I've explained my experience twice and quoted you twice, if you can't comprehend something so simple by now, there's no point in repeating it. Sorry I cannot help you.

And btw, CA DMV absolutely indicates Driver's License is a valid and legal ID.

And I just looked on the .gov website and it doesn't say that my US Passport cannot be used as a Commercial Pilot License, so I guess that means it's legal for me to fly a 747.

shadow

You don't get to tell me who I speak for and don't speak for. And immigrating means you can never leave? Tell that to the former CEO of FB. I myself spent a lifetime in Alabama one year. How so?Yes, I'm certainly not going there to die. Find any USCIS reference to the fact that a spousal visa is not to be used to visit the US temporarily and I will only then agree with you. I'm sure most any DMV website in the US says that you need a D/L to drive a car but many people get them just to have a widely recognized ID and may not even own a car or ever drive except just enough to pass the test. The DMV site does not say the D/L can be used as an ID but people do. Even more so, the SS Admin specifically states the SSAN is not to be used as an ID or for any purpose other than SS and yet you pretty much can't pick your nose without someone requiring you to give them your SSAN. Are you saying these acts are also illegal and dangerous?You missed the part where I said...

As in, knock yourself out and try to find such a case. I will not bother to search for the non-existent. If you do manage to find such a case and correctly quote it here with a link to the actual source then I will bow to you.As Larry said, read my post and then read what you posted from it.And I am the only expat I know of who can say that. I know there are probably a few others but not many.

I have never said your method works whatever your method is. I doubt Larry has either. Please bugger off.

The only supporting documentation they asked to see was a copy of my 13A.Anyone can write a letter.It's not a huge gamble, I think $130 plus a r/t to Manila. It's huge probability of failure maybe. If you're in a hurry and can afford, the spousal is the way to go. If we have plenty of time and think it's worth the risk, no problem taking a shot at the tourist visa but follow my philosophy of expecting the worst and perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, you can always tell a troll, you just can't tell 'em much. Skyman out.

For the record, the tourist visa application is now $160. The spousal visa fees went down, they are now;

Petition fee $420

Visa fee $230

Medical exam 223

Total $873

Larry in Dumaguete

smokey

there is more drama here then at a basketball game with frenzys tin lizzie group

miles-high

My work requires me to get medical every 6 months and my appointment this time was today, Sunday afternoon. I know she travels to the US and UK often and is a very busy practitioner, often working on the weekends and holidays…

Out of curiosity, I asked her the kind of US visa she holds and she told me she has a 10-year multi-entry US visa… also a similar visa to the EU countries…

When we were done, we came out of the clinic and a chauffeur with a black MB S-class V12 was waiting for her and I asked if it was hers and she said yes…

Hmmm, maybe the car one rides in may make a different impression to the consular officer… :ROFLMAO: