2 Months in Tablet Experince

USMC-Retired

http://timpottersugarland.blogspot.com/

Well I bought a Samsung 7" tablet a few months back. The reason I bought a 7" and not a 10" was the fact I wanted something I could carry. However I wanted it large enough to see without having to expand the screen size. What I have found is this an excellent complimentary device that is portable light and easy to use. Additionally this has the capability for cell phone and messaging. Along with a blue tooth device it is just awesome. With a keyboard style layout and messaging in conversation mode. It makes for excellent communication. Also because it has 3G and 4G capabilities I can use Google Voice to call the US free of charge. (3g or wifi charges may apply). The size and weight of the device is also a plus we can carry it around to mall or to stores. This has replaced our cell phones and used as much as a laptop or desktop. It also has almost replaced the camera we have. It takes excellent pictures and with various apps it makes it so easy to take great pictures.

The other benefit is Google Play a site dedicated to applications that you can use on the device. Many are free and some charge. There are games, e-readers and just so much it is hard to explain. I was an Apple guy and thought Ipad has this market all sowed up with ease of use. Not the case. We have the 16Gb model and that is so much storage. We have hundreds of songs and thousands of pictures that can so easily be flipped through and listened to or watched.

The other question many have are they all the same. Do all tablets that offer android have the same features and specs. I tried many of them and laid them down side by side. Ipad was the best of the bunch yet it had a price tag that says hey I am a Cadillac. Then I got to the Android tablets. I looked at specs and looked at storage on the device. I have a Tab Plus which minus (specs wise) the screen is better then the Tab 2 (not available when I purchased). The biggest thing I found with the cheaper models was the screen responsiveness. How hard I had to push or hold to make things happen. Clarity of icons and camera was another issue with the cheaper off name brands. The best thing to do is shop around there are so many brands to choose from. The Tab Plus is cheaper because of the release of the Tab2. One thing you should look for is a device that has Ice Cream Sandwich or Honey Comb. They are the latest OS for Android Devices. Stay away for a device that has Froyo as it may not be able to be upgraded as the case with the Original Samsung Tab.

These devices are just awesome for the casual user that wants to surf or just wants to get on the web, check email or facebook. Without the hassle of a laptop. The battery life is reasonably good 9+ hours of surf time. Plus it makes life so easy.

Enjoy.....

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 2

I think the iPad is kind of over-rated myself (I'm a PC guy). No wonder Apple has been suing Samsung almost everywhere...

senseless

Well I bought a Samsung 7" tablet a few months back. The reason I bought a 7" and not a 10" was the fact I wanted something I could carry. However I wanted it large enough to see without having to expand the screen size. What I have found is this an excellent complimentary device that is portable light and easy to use. Additionally this has the capability for cell phone and messaging. Along with a blue tooth device it is just awesome. With a keyboard style layout and messaging in conversation mode. It makes for excellent communication. Also because it has 3G and 4G capabilities I can use Google Voice to call the US free of charge. (3g or wifi charges may apply). The size and weight of the device is also a plus we can carry it around to mall or to stores. This has replaced our cell phones and used as much as a laptop or desktop. It also has almost replaced the camera we have. It takes excellent pictures and with various apps it makes it so easy to take great pictures.

The other benefit is Google Play a site dedicated to applications that you can use on the device. Many are free and some charge. There are games, e-readers and just so much it is hard to explain. I was an Apple guy and thought Ipad has this market all sowed up with ease of use. Not the case. We have the 16Gb model and that is so much storage. We have hundreds of songs and thousands of pictures that can so easily be flipped through and listened to or watched.

The other question many have are they all the same. Do all tablets that offer android have the same features and specs. I tried many of them and laid them down side by side. Ipad was the best of the bunch yet it had a price tag that says hey I am a Cadillac. Then I got to the Android tablets. I looked at specs and looked at storage on the device. I have a Tab Plus which minus (specs wise) the screen is better then the Tab 2 (not available when I purchased). The biggest thing I found with the cheaper models was the screen responsiveness. How hard I had to push or hold to make things happen. Clarity of icons and camera was another issue with the cheaper off name brands. The best thing to do is shop around there are so many brands to choose from. The Tab Plus is cheaper because of the release of the Tab2. One thing you should look for is a device that has Ice Cream Sandwich or Honey Comb. They are the latest OS for Android Devices. Stay away for a device that has Froyo as it may not be able to be upgraded as the case with the Original Samsung Tab.

These devices are just awesome for the casual user that wants to surf or just wants to get on the web, check email or facebook. Without the hassle of a laptop. The battery life is reasonably good 9+ hours of surf time. Plus it makes life so easy.

Enjoy.....

Can you watch hulu & netflix on it w/ the vpn?

Normally the devices don't have enough power for flash. The VPN also adds cpu overhead with the encryption. I was curious if there was enough processor to go around.

Does it heat up like crazy?

Edited by senseless
USMC-Retired

I do not really want a Ipad (apple) debate. Just a user point of view having an Android Device. I have an Iphone also though it sits and collects much dust now. In reality the Ipad and most (not all Android) devices are in different leagues.

I just enjoy the device and I am 100% sure that an Ipad user would say the same.

I have not tried to watch Hulu or Netfilx over the device. Also running a Flash Browser adds to the CPU load. I use Dolphin HD as my browser of choice. I have watch other flash movies and other movies files. Yes it does get a little warm not uncomfortable but warm. It was not my intention when I bought the device. The device I have is 1.2GHz dual-core processor which is plenty enough to do this yet heat could be an issue. As with any of these devices

Why I posted this is because I was not sold on this idea of a tablet. A few users here said I should go for it. (Kenny Senseless Cipro) So I went ahead with this plan instead of a little laptop. What a great thing I did.

Edited by Norseman
musicman666

My wife acctually bought me an iPad ...I would never have got it otherwise... But now I can't stop using it..

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

These tablets are just awesome. They do so much and so easy. They are a great alternative and probally better then a laptop for that GF or wife here and you are there. The prices are very reasonable and comparable in price.

Edited by Norseman
Rocketman

I got a Kindle Fire before I left the states in December. It's been a godsend since I've been on the road for 5 months. My biggest issue is the small keypad. As I type it's easy to make mistakes but a pain to fix them. My big computer along with everything else gets here next week. I cant wait!!! Anyone want to buy a Kindle?

tripsigg

Stay away from an ICS tablet if you want to watch Netflix, Gingerbread is good enough. ICS is not supported by Netflix yet and Netflix videos won't play. A Gingerbread tablet will play netflix with a vpn.

tripsigg

If you go to for a chiPad(meaning Chinese Android Tablet), there are many hidden features. I've recently bought my 2nd and 3rd tablets.

The 2nd is a Cube K8GT running ICS. It was easy as pie to root it. It'll run all the apps that I want to. Either through the Play Store, Amazon App Store or just by adding APKs. The USB slot can be used for hooking up an external drive but also can be used for hooking up an external keyboard, external mouse and even an external USB ethernet adapter. It's got a 7 inch screen. It's as functional as an old style ASUS EE 7 incher, maybe even more so. I paid $70 for it.

My 3rd is a Aigo M80 running ICS. It was a bit more work rooting it but doable. It also has pretty much the same features(ethernet, external keyboard/mouse) as Cube except that it has an 8 inch screen and a glass multi touch screen while the Cube has an older style(read older pda style) screen. It's very functional and with plenty of memory and plenty of storage, it rocks. It cost just $150.

I consider both of them to be extremely functional and usable. I think of them as the perfect traveling companions. I have a Samsung phone running gingerbread(and of the portable hotspot feature) so I can get 3G internet on it and share it with the pads when I travel. If I am sitting down longer, I can pull out a mouse and/or mini usb keyboard and work on it like a regular computer.

Cipro

Can you watch hulu & netflix on it w/ the vpn?

Normally the devices don't have enough power for flash. The VPN also adds cpu overhead with the encryption. I was curious if there was enough processor to go around.

Does it heat up like crazy?

Stay away from an ICS tablet if you want to watch Netflix, Gingerbread is good enough. ICS is not supported by Netflix yet and Netflix videos won't play. A Gingerbread tablet will play netflix with a vpn.

I'm watching Netflix on my ICS based tablet right now. It works and it doesn't seem to burn a lot of battery, most of these devices use the GPU to accelerate and economize on video rendering.

M.Baboy

These tablets are just awesome. They do so much and so easy. They are a great alternative and probally better then a laptop for that GF or wife here and you are there. The prices are very reasonable and comparable in price.

And whAt are the prices?

You are supposed to be able to watch netflicks on the galaxy tab 7 plus. I do not know if you can get it in the Philippines though, but you can in the US.

USMC-Retired

And whAt are the prices?

There is a ZTE that is 11,000 pesos that seems really like a nice unit. It had much of the responsiveness of the Samsung and the camera was ok. The Samsung was 18,000 for a Tab plus. Since this was a gift and not something I personally purchased I spent exactly what was sent for the little better warranty and better overall review. The CDR king versions are junk and the feel was just wrong. Not that I am all touchy feely but I have to hold this device and it just felt cheap.

It is easy to watch Hulu or Netflix with these devices from the Philippines or locations around the world. You just have to set up a Proxy or VPN and you are off. I would use a proxy and for 5 dollars a month I can easily do this. Yet I did not buy the device for this. Dolphin Browser and Privoxy. Then Hidemynet.com you can watch.

I am not a real good knowledge base on these devices this is my first one. I have read alot and trying to learn all the ins and outs. Thus I can maximize my experience. What I am finding is a wealth of information on these devices and how simple they are. Additionally I am finding that they are very functional for most people. They are a serious laptop replacement for the surfer and web person. Additionally the entertainment value can be greater then a laptop.

Edited by Norseman
musingloudly

I've had a galaxy tablet (first gen) and had to send it back twice for issues re: battery. After the second visit, the tablet was much improved. I've heard the second generation tablets which seems to be the one you have is much much better in all aspects (size, speed, cost, dependability... etc). Because of my previous experience with the galaxy tablet, I ended up buying a Lenovo K1 tablet which is similar sized to an IPAD but costs less.

I also now own a galaxy note which is a phone/tablet (5 inch screen) combo which is one of the best phones / tablets I've ever had. Kudos to samsung who seem to be doing a great job in this area. Android is great too !!!

tripsigg

I'm watching Netflix on my ICS based tablet right now. It works and it doesn't seem to burn a lot of battery, most of these devices use the GPU to accelerate and economize on video rendering.

Really? 4.0.3? A quick google search said it wasn't possible. I guess I'll hit the search engines and get it working. :) Netflix isn't really important to me, but the challenge is.