Aussie's be careful with Hookers in Bali Indonesia

Siuk

Do you have a source for this information? or are you just pulling it out of wherever?

The source came from this very forum.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• For Real

• Siuk

• ellenbrook2001

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What she did before she met me, would not be an issue. What matters most to me, is what she does after we are together. We both can be tested before having sex.   Incidentally, a woman doesn't have

If you just stick with one woman (who wasn't a slut when you met her) you really don't have to worry about HIV or any other STD.

Anyone who has casual sex with out a condom has to be retarded and he/she should not be surprised if/when some little nasty is contracted,further more the guys who insist woman(who in a lot of cases c

Headshot

The source came from this very forum.

Well, there is a reliable source if I ever heard one... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This is a discussion (opinion) forum...not a source.

Edited by Headshot
Siuk

If I remember right it was a report about the HIV rate, not written by someone on this forum.

Am I the only one who remembers? Not even an old thread. Last year I think.

Headshot

I didn't find what you were referring to, but I found this. It makes no mention of call center workers, and was written in Thailand (one of the Philippines' main competitors) so it may be suspect for accuracy. However, it is worth reading...

Philippines HIV infections 'doubling every year' - UN

By Thin Lei Win

BANGKOK (AlertNet) - New HIV infections in the Philippines are doubling every year due to inadequate prevention efforts and poor knowledge of risky behaviour among vulnerable groups, a top U.N. official said in an interview.

This year, six new infections a day are occurring, compared with two a couple of years ago, Teresita Marie Bagasao, Philippines country director for UNAIDS, the U.N. agency for HIV/AIDS, told AlertNet.

HIV prevalence among the general population remains low at less than one percent. But after more than two decades of a low-level epidemic, “new cases are doubling every year and prevalence among key populations most at risk in certain cities has gone beyond 1 percent,” Bagasao said.

In Cebu, for example, prevalence among injecting drug-users - one of the three highest-risk groups, alongside people who sell sex and men who have sex with men - soared from 0.6 percent in 2009 to 53 percent in 2011, according to UNAIDS.

The rate of infection among men who have sex with men in Manila and Cebu is now estimated at 5 percent.

Jonas Bagas, a member of the Philippines National AIDS Council, said the Department of Health recorded more new cases of HIV infection in 2010 than the cumulative number of fresh cases reported from 2001 to 2005, according to Filipino news outlet Newsbreak.

Thirty years into the AIDS epidemic, Asia Pacific is at a crossroads, said a report launched on Friday in Busan, South Korea, at the 10 th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific.

“While the region has seen impressive gains - including a 20 percent drop in new HIV infections since 2001 and a three-fold increase in access to antiretroviral therapy since 2006 - progress is threatened by an inadequate focus on key populations at higher risk of HIV infection and insufficient funding from both domestic and international sources,” it said.

LOW CONDOM USE

In the Philippines, infections are rising partly because of the low coverage and quality of HIV prevention programmes targeted at high-risk groups. They reach less than 40 percent of the most vulnerable populations, and of those groups, only 14 percent have accessed HIV testing and know the results.

Many cities have no HIV/AIDS prevention programmes, Bagasao said. And even in places that do, attitudes and behaviours towards prevention methods, including condom use, remain negative.

Poor knowledge of the risks is pushing infections higher. For example, less than a third of men who have sex with men use condoms, while stigma and discrimination hamper efforts to reach out to them, Bagasao said.

There are also concerns over funding to strengthen prevention programmes at a time when contributions from donors for HIV/AIDS responses are declining across the world.

In the Philippines, only a fifth of annual spending on HIV/AIDS comes from the government. The rest is from external sources, including the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, the United Nations and the U.S. government development agency USAID.

In response to rising HIV infections, the government is seeking to amend the Philippine AIDS Prevention and Control Act, which critics say is outdated and conflicts with recent legislation. The Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act, for example, stipulates that a condom can be used as evidence of prostitution, which is against the law.

http://www.trust.org...g-every-year-un

Edited by Headshot
streak03

Well gee, lets see, unprotected male on male anal sex, and the hiv rate is rising..imagine that. And some of them work in call centers..hmmm...call centers must cause hiv!!!

MANILA, Philippines - Though more gay and bisexual call center workers are getting infected with HIV due to unprotected sex, according to a study by the Philippine General Hospital (PGH), health experts say there is inconclusive data to prove that call centers are "breeding grounds" of HIV.

In a study, the PGH gave free rapid HIV tests to 406 male respondents from November 2009 to January 2010.

Researchers looked for respondents at gimmick hotspots in Metro Manila. The respondents' ages or locations were not provided.

Only 385 respondents disclosed their occupation. The sample comprised of men who have sex with men (MSM), particularly gays, bisexual males and "call boys" or sex workers.

Of the sample, 130 were MSM call center agents.

"You're seeing more and more gay men, bisexuals getting infected with HIV. But only few walk in to clinics to have themselves tested. So we were the ones who went out to administer HIV tests to them," explained Dr. Louie Mar Gangcuangco, an internal medicine intern at the PGH.

The study found that 48 or 12% of respondents were carriers of human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV), a virus that destroys a person's immune system.

Over half (26 people or 54%) of those found to be HIV positive were call center agents. However, this number only comprises only a small percentage (6.4%) of the total sample size.

Though HIV-positive call center agents comprise a small group in the study, PGH doctors like Gangcuangco find the numbers "alarming."

"The data we are seeing now, the one that alarms us, is just focused on this small subset of call center agents. So these are vulnerable call center agents [comprising of] men having sex with men, gays or bisexuals engaging in high-risk behavior," Gangcuangco said.

Risk factors

Health official Dr. Eric Tayag, chief of the Department of Health's National Epidemiology Center, however, said the study's results are inconclusive.

He said studies about the spread of HIV should not

stigmatize call center agents or other groups, but should rather focus on alerting vulnerable groups and finding solutions.

"Kailangan maproteksyonan natin ang mga kabataan. At ang paraan ng DOH para maproteksyunan, malaman kung ano 'yong risk na kinsasangkutan nila. Kasi kung hindi natin alam kung ano nangyayari, ang hirap maglagay ng programa," Tayag said.

(We need to protect the youth. The DOH's way of protecting them is knowing what risks they are under. Because if we don't know what's happening, it's hard to make a program.)

According to the PGH, there are 3 main risk factors that contribute to the spread of HIV among MSMs, particularly those who work in call centers.

These include financial empowerment or having money to go out to parties or gimmicks, little or no condom use and the habit of switching from one sexual partner to another.

The study found that HIV carriers had an average of 16 casual sex partners each.

Call center agents a priority?

The government is reportedly

prioritizing initiatives to curb the spread of HIV among sexually active call center agents, since they work in an industry that brings in billions of dollars yearly.

The business process outsourcing (BPO) industry is tagged as the country's "sunshine industry."

It has over half a million Filipino workers and has earned $7.5 billion in 2009 alone.

However, a former call center agent who identified himself as "Humphrey" said there is no connection between call center work and the spread of HIV.

Humphrey, who is gay and HIV positive, said Filipinos should simply change their attitude towards sex.

According to 2009 data by the National Epidemiology Center and the United Nations Development Programme, HIV has spread in the Philippines at the rate of

3 people per day.

"Vulnerable groups" are OFWs, out-of-school youth, street children who are sometimes forced into prostitution, and MSM communities (which cross-cultural studies said comprise 10% of the Philippine population).

All HIV cases were transmitted through sexual contact, with 36% of cases transmitted through homosexual contact and 89% of cases caused by unprotected sex.

But there are other modes of transferring the virus through needles used for drug use and passing on the virus from mother to child.

A 2007 Integrated HIV Psychological study cited by the Philippine AIDS Council found that the rise in Internet-usage, which makes it easier to find sexual partners online; the prevalence of drugs and alcohol among MSMs from 2004 to 2007; and the popularity of anal sex without condoms has contributed to the spread of HIV.

• Like 1
Faluango

All HIV cases were transmitted through sexual contact, with 36% of cases transmitted through homosexual contact and 89% of cases caused by unprotected sex.

Whats the difference?

Mr. Mike

Before I ever get sexually involved with another lady, I don't care where she is from, I would suggest we both get tested. I would explain it to her in a sensitive way, and if she refused,,,,,,,,,,,,,end of relationship for me! If she is not mature enough to understand that testing is to protect the both of us,,,,,,,,,,end of relationship for me! It is not a matter of trust at that point, it is a matter of caution and responsible behavior. After the test, (with negative results), and we are in a monogamous relationship, that is when "trust" enters the picture.

Too many nasty STDs out there for me to take any chances,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by Mr. Mike
For Real

Too many nasty STDs out there for me to take any chances,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Life is an uncurable sexually transmitted disease...and always results in death...you are already taking chances and you didn't start your chance taking.

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

Life is an uncurable sexually transmitted disease...and always results in death...you are already taking chances and you didn't start your chance taking.

...................well, I do have this funny little rash :dance:
Mr. Mike

Well, I guess that's the end of this subject!,,,,,,,,,,Protect yourself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or not,,,,,,,,,your choice!

• Like 1
Siuk

2/3/10 - BEHAVIORAL choices, not occupations, are what make a person vulnerable or not to the threat of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), a health official said yesterday.

“It’s not who you are, but it’s what you do. The DOH (Department of Health) is not saying that call center agents are a high-risk group for HIV, but that they have high-risk behaviors that should be looked into,” said Dr. Eric Tayag, chief of the National Epidemiology Center.

At least 126 new cases of HIV were reported in the country last year, the “highest in the past 25 years,” Tayag said.

From 1984 to 2009, a total of 4,424 cases have been reported in the Philippines.

The HIV incidence in Cebu, like the rest of the country, is also rising, the City Health Department said.

Dr. Ilya Tac-an, the city’s HIV/Aids coordinator, said their monitoring showed more cases were reported in their office recently, compared to the past years.

Last year, the department recorded 11 new HIV cases in Cebu City, which was the highest compared to the previous years when the average was just four cases a year.

Most of the new patients were drug users, with seven of the 11 reported cases of HIV in 2009 caused by the sharing of needles and syringes.

Dr. Tac-an encouraged people to undergo regular HIV tests for early detection.

The Population Commission (Popcom) also clarified that a recent study did not mean to single out call center agents’ lifestyles.

Dr. Tayag and local health officials led by Dr. Susana Madarieta, DOH 7 director, met with Cebu City Acting Mayor Michael Rama yesterday morning and discussed the situation in Cebu.

Health Secretary Cabral instructed Dr. Tayag to meet with Cebu officials, the media and other concerned groups to emphasize the need to educate the public on HIV and Aids.

Not engaging in unsafe sex practices, keeping a monogamous relationship, abstaining from sex at an early age and “using condoms correctly, persistently and consistently” are still the best defenses against HIV/Aids, said Dr. Tayag.

What makes call center agents vulnerable are certain behaviors, like excessive alcohol consumption that could lead to “risky behavior like casual sex, which is easy gratification…What we are saying at this point is that call center agents are at higher risk,” he said.

In the past three years, transmission has “shifted” so that heterosexual men are no longer the most vulnerable group, but men who have sex with men, said Dr. Tayag.

Meanwhile, in reaction to a statement by Acting Mayor Rama, Popcom 7 Director Leo Rama said the study by the University of the Philippines Population Institute (UPPI) was fair in comparing the lifestyles of call center agents and their peers in other industries.

The study “Lifestyle and Reproductive Health Issues of Young Professionals in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu” involved 434 call center agents in Manila, 241 call center agents in Cebu and 254 non-call center agents in Metro Manila area, for a total of 929 workers.

Most of the respondents were aged 18-34 and had at least two years of college education.

The UPPI study revealed that though call center agents in Cebu and Manila earn more than non-call center agents, they face more risks from abnormal sleeping habits, habitual drinking, illegal drug use and risky sexual activities.

But Rama of Popcom also clarified that the study is still in its initial stage, and that a clearer picture will be revealed in less than two months.

“By then, we intend to deliver our report and we will be able to present the complete study to the local government units (LGUs) concerned,” said Rama.

Presenting the studies to the LGUs is meant to help create policies to help concerned agencies and establishments, said Rama

(Sun Star)

http://cebuinfo.blogspot.com/2010/02/hiv-aids-cases-in-cebu-rising-says.html

Not the original report posted, can't find that. Yes, gays are still and always will be the most vulnerable to infection, but no where does it state only gay call center workers are being infected. If you think gays are the only ones who get drunk and sleep around, you would be very wrong. Educated or not, drink makes people retarded and make decisions they might not normally make.

I remember in the original topic there was a post about young women in their early 20's being diagnosed and one mention of a death of a young woman.

• Like 1
lazydays

Siuk, i remember that too.

AlooGobi
gays are still and always will be the most vulnerable to infection

Are you suggesting they are more vulnerable to infection simply because they are gay?

I would have thought they would be no more or less vulnerable than any one else who didnt practice safe sex

Siuk

Are you suggesting they are more vulnerable to infection simply because they are gay?

I would have thought they would be no more or less vulnerable than any one else who didnt practice safe sex

Yes. The internal skin/lining within the anus is far more likely to bleed during intercourse, and since HIV is a blood infection...

Edited by Siuk
AlooGobi
Yes. The internal skin/lining within the anus is far more likely to bleed during intercourse, and since HIV is a blood infection.

Still comes down to the practice of safe sex,

Is a hetrosexual couple who engages in this activity(and there are plenty) less vulnerable than a homosexual couple?