Motor Cycle Repair

Paul

I will say, David, I doubt you know the guy he recommended in his first post. You didn't have to knock that guy's work down, since you apparently have never used his services anyway. Simply post what you know to be fact, that your neighbor is a good mechanic, and leave it at that.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_LivinginTalisay

• Paul

• Panzertotem

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it was a good post. I would appreciate more constructive posts concerning motorcycle repair and less tearing down of another's.

I got an email from a Friend and asked if I could post this. May want to give these guys a try for your Motorcycle troubles.    

You have a friend?   Good report. Please give your friend a thanks for wanting it posted here.

Bill H

My good man! About 2km before Badian, on the left coming from Moalboal is Dom's shop.

Dom is an absolute master of any 2 wheeled repair. He is diligent, honest, imaginative, knows what he is doing and so cheap that it doesn't bare thinking about.

The Honda and Rusi "dealers" in Moalboal call him when they are stuck!

He is the man who made my Honda TMX 6 speed conversion possible. No job is too big or small, and he will often lend you one of his bikes to use if yours is off the road for a few days.

He can do anything to any bike local or imported. Tell him I sent you, but he treats everyone the same anyway!

For wheel building the parts/repair shop in the back left corner of the market is the go to place. Re-lacing a wheel cost me P80. No fuss no drama.

Actually Bob, he's the one I've been using, but lately the quality of his work has guttered. I've had to take the bike back to him multiple times only to have the same problem crop up again (speedo cable). I get charged each time, but the problem remains unfixed (is that a word?) So, I think it's time to go elsewhere. I've heard simular stories from others as well. The in town dealers just suck. The DEK dealer's mechanic tried to tell me if I used 20W40 oil instead of 10W30 it would void the warranty! I even showed him in the owner's manual where viscosity is a function of ambient tempreture and 10w30 is not the best choice here, but he still would not budge!

David_LivinginTalisay

I will say, David, I doubt you know the guy he recommended in his first post. You didn't have to knock that guy's work down, since you apparently have never used his services anyway. Simply post what you know to be fact, that your neighbor is a good mechanic, and leave it at that.

Paul what was posted, was recommendation based on someone elses use of a Company called izumi to change engine oil, align the wheels and change/tighten some spokes.

Sorry, but in my books, those are some of the 'simpler' Motorcycle repair/maintenance tasks.

What I posted in reply was this:-

"Nice to hear recommendation for more simpler tasks, and at very reasonable rates"

Please spell out to my how that becomes "knock that guy's work down"!

Recommendation and reasonable rates are both positive comments, are they not?

So it must be the use of my using the adjective 'simpler' then?

simplercomparative of sim·ple (Adjective)

Adjective:

• Easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty.
  • Plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation.

What is difficult about changing engine oil, or aligning the wheels (most motorcyles have either snail cam adjusteres with numbered graduation marks or elengated slot with graduation marks. You 'simply' make sure the back wheel axle is set to the same graduation point on both sides.

Changing spokes, calls for a bit more skill, as you need to remove the wheel, and take the tire off at least one side of the rim, and remove the inner tube.

Any Vulcanising shop can do that task!

Even those capable of rebuilding wheels (which means lacing ALL the Spokes into a RIM from the HUB) and making sure the RIM run out is true to less than 1mm (40 thou) usually.

I did not read that Izumu can undertake wheel rebuilds - perhaps they can, but no personal recommendation for such.

I mentioned Andy (musicman666) had his 17" 'Motord' wheels converted to 21" Front and 18" Rear by some Wheel Builder (that presumably someone had recommended). Ask Andy if he would recommend them after one wheel had to be taken apart and re-done, with the rim the correct way around.

I was not promoting anyone, as no Contact details or location given.

I was given a personal recomondation after terp had recommended 'Tony' to me. (and I have seen others post to this forum confirming his work also).

This guy did fit my Kickstart Kit on my XT225 'Serow' and he knew which way around the Idler Gear had to be.

I do rate that to be rather more skilled Motorcycle Repair type task.

I thought this was a Thread about 'Motor Cycle Repair', not a Norsman back slapping Thread!

Big deal over him receiving an e-mail, from someone else, who had Izumi do a good oil change, line up some marks up on the rear wheel, and replace a broken spoke (that most Vulcanising shops might handle if you already bough a new spoke and Nipple).

If anyone is/was, doing promotion, it was Tim!

David_LivinginTalisay

David it is called Hijacking a thread. You are hijacking it for your personal gain. If you have personal experience with guy post it. If you recommend another guy post it. Yet you say think this guy is some how only qualified for simpler tasks because your guy is better. How do you know? Do you know this guy? Really David like your recommendations are some how good. Legacy ya a good thing there or how about a V8 Motorcycle another winner.

What personal gain - be more specific, as I would like to see/learn about what I am gaining here!

I never said that whatever guy did that Oil Change, align the rear wheel against graduation marks and fix/tighten a spoke was not qualified for or skilled at more demanding motorcycle repair jobs, now did I?

Nice to hear recommendation for more simpler tasks, and at very reasonable rates.

In the absence of any personal recommendation of Izumu, having doing jobs like complete wheel rebuilds, top end overhauls on OHC engines and someone happy with these more difficult tasks, I will stick to using someone I do have experience with and others entrusting their 'Big Bikes' to such mechanics, with good reputation for such jobs, also.

Nothing I read, from what Tim here posted here, gives me confidence that Izumi have done engine work on Big Bikes with OHC etc (>200cc). If they have then someone please also post about such work also.

Some have posted giving such recommendations, and so did I.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
Paul

Just please stop being so critical of a mechanic that you do not even know.

Paul

David,

Since you took it upon yourself to report the post, and then took it upon yourself to reply to that same post, I can not resolve the issue, other than to let it go completely.

Had you left well enough alone, I would have removed the post from the thread.

Edited by Paul
Bill H

WOW waaaayyyyy too much drama over "simpler."

Anyway, "simpler" aside, does anyone have any other general mechanics to recommend? I'm needing some work on my speedo cable and some nagging electrical problems.

Thanks,

Bill

thebob

I think that by saying.. Mechanic 1 is good at any procedure, and that mechanic 2 is only good for simpler procedures, would need more information about mechanic 2.

We know that Mechanic 2 has completed some "simpler tasks" satisfactorily, but the assumption that he is incapable of more complex tasks isn't implicit.

David, I understand that you come from an engineering background, but your reasoning does not always appear to follow the rules of logic.

In this case, I feel you have, inadvertently jumped to a false conclusion, because of an assumption based on lack of evidence.

It did appear to be a brash statement, but defensive indignation may not have been the right response from either side.

• Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

I think that by saying.. Mechanic 1 is good at any procedure, and that mechanic 2 is only good for simpler procedures, would need more information about mechanic 2.

We know that Mechanic 2 has completed some "simpler tasks" satisfactorily, but the assumption that he is incapable of more complex tasks isn't implicit.

David, I understand that you come from an engineering background, but your reasoning does not always appear to follow the rules of logic.

In this case, I feel you have, inadvertently jumped to a false conclusion, because of an assumption based on lack of evidence.

It did appear to be a brash statement, but defensive indignation may not have been the right response from either side.

But I did not assume the mechanic @ Izumi was NOT capable of other Motorcycle Repair tasks, (where did those get this idea/notion from?)

" false conclusion, because of an assumption based on lack of evidence." What kind of false 'logic' is this?

I base my conclusion on facts and evidence.

The Facts and evidence, as portrayed in what Tim posted, being this said mechanic can do Oil Changes, Wheel Alignment and mend/tighten broken/loose spokes.

Tim gave no information, no evidence, of said mechanic having done engine rebuilds on Big Bikes with OHC engines (like my Yamaha XT225), or anything more complicated than these simpler maintenance type jobs - that is a fact. No statement that this Mechanic had passed any Tests and got a Certificate or anything. No mention this Motorcylce Repair Shop stocked Special Tools needed for engine strip downs and rebuilds.

Do you dispute this?

Without any reassurances of such Mechanic having had training, displayed skills, experience, and testimonials/recommendations from satisfied customers on such similar motorcycle repair work on big bikes with OHC (such as top end overhaul, fitting of kick starter Kits etc), would you trust a Harley Davidson, Yamaha V-Max, Virago, XT225 etc to this mechanic @ Izumi.

I would not, based only on that 1 recommendation for good work, at reasonable prices, doing an Oil Change, aligning rear axle with graduation marks after adjusting chain tension, and fixing a broken/loose spokes.

Yes I consider these 'simpler' Motorcycle Maintenance tasks, and ones I can do myself. I sometimes use the services of 'Tony' next door, because he does have the training, skills and experience! More importantly, he also has the special tools like Clutch Holding Tool, that I don't have. I am extremely pleased with the work he has done for me and at very reasonable prices.

I know others use Tony also and well pleased with the work he has done. The only complaint is Tony can't take the bike for a Test Ride (had an accident and hurt his legs, so uses multicab) to check the Carb Tuning for example.

smokey

someone needs a group hug and a ticker tape parade to feel good :stooges:

shadow

But I did not assume the mechanic @ Izumi was NOT capable of other Motorcycle Repair tasks, (where did those get this idea/notion from?)

Without any reassurances of such Mechanic having had training, displayed skills, experience, and testimonials/recommendations from satisfied customers on such similar motorcycle repair work on big bikes with OHC (such as top end overhaul, fitting of kick starter Kits etc), would you trust a Harley Davidson, Yamaha V-Max, Virago, XT225 etc to this mechanic @ Izumi.

I would not, based only on that 1 recommendation for good work, at reasonable prices, doing an Oil Change, aligning rear axle with graduation marks after adjusting chain tension, and fixing a broken/loose spokes.

Yes I consider these 'simpler' Motorcycle Maintenance tasks, and ones I can do myself. I sometimes use the services of 'Tony' next door, because he does have the training, skills and experience! More importantly, he also has the special tools like Clutch Holding Tool, that I don't have. I am extremely pleased with the work he has done for me and at very reasonable prices.

I know others use Tony also and well pleased with the work he has done. The only complaint is Tony can't take the bike for a Test Ride (had an accident and hurt his legs, so uses multicab) to check the Carb Tuning for example.

I must say that I did not read David's post as a "put down" to the other mechanic, in fact I think he stated it was good to see someone posting positives about someone for simpler tasks at reasonable prices. (a positive the way I read it) There is not enough evidence to support that the mech in question is qualified for more involved repairs.

After that there was an abundance over overreactions, which is very common here.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1
thebob

Here

Nice to hear recommendation for more simpler tasks, and at very reasonable rates (if not a neighbor factory trained in Yamaha Japan Factory), so thanks for this Post on that.

shadow

I think we all nee to keep in mind that we are all from different cultures here, and we speak as well as write (communicate) slightly differently.

Larry in Dumaguete

David_LivinginTalisay

" false conclusion, because of an assumption based on lack of evidence." What kind of false 'logic' is this?

I base my conclusion on facts and evidence.

The Facts and evidence, as portrayed in what Tim posted, being this said mechanic can do Oil Changes, Wheel Alignment and mend/tighten broken/loose spokes.

Tim gave no information, no evidence, of said mechanic having done engine rebuilds on Big Bikes with OHC engines (like my Yamaha XT225), or anything more complicated than these simpler maintenance type jobs - that is a fact. No statement that this Mechanic had passed any Tests and got a Certificate or anything. No mention this Motorcylce Repair Shop stocked Special Tools needed for engine strip downs and rebuilds.

Do you dispute this?

In comparison, my neighbor Tony was a mechanic working for Norkis until he retired, Was factory trained by Yamaha in Japan, and has the factory Tools needed to correctly strip down and reassemble big bikes, like Yamaha with OHC etc. He probably has a Certificate from that Training, and a lifetime of working on Yamaha big bikes.

Based on the information Tim supplied on said Izumi Mechanic and the information I gave about my neighbor Tony, who would you entrust to a Motorcycle engine overhaul to (which the Izumi mechanic might be capable of , but no evidence supplied to confirm this).

Yes, I consider the recommendation given, that Tim posted about, to be 'simpler' Motorcycle Maintenance tasks, and ones I can do myself.

I sometimes use the services of 'Tony' next door, because he does have the training, skills and experience! More importantly, he also has the special tools like Clutch Holding Tool, that I don't have. I am extremely pleased with the work he has done for me and at very reasonable prices.

Panzertotem

A friend asked me to post this

"I had a friend down in the area tell me that this place carries a good assortment of parts and accessories as well. It's not just a repair shop. Actually the other way around. Parts store that does installations and maintenance as well. Honest people too!"