Motor Cycle Repair

USMC-Retired

I got an email from a Friend and asked if I could post this. May want to give these guys a try for your Motorcycle troubles.

I recently had a problem with my motor cycle as it wobbled when riding down the road. I took it to a place in Tabunok/Talisay called Izumi at the base of the flyover on the opposite side of the road from the old wet market. They were very helpful and honest to a tee!

The did an alignment on the rear wheel and changed my oil. It was quite a process as they had to remove the rear tire and break it down completely. Then he replaced some broken or missing spokes before performing the alignment on the wheel. It took about an hour and the bill was very reasonable. P268 for oil, P60 for the alignment, and P48 for the spokes. No labor charge for the oil change. Nice, friendly and honest people! Go there and be confident that you will get competent and honest service at a good price!

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 3
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_LivinginTalisay

• Paul

• USMC-Retired

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it was a good post. I would appreciate more constructive posts concerning motorcycle repair and less tearing down of another's.

I got an email from a Friend and asked if I could post this. May want to give these guys a try for your Motorcycle troubles.    

You have a friend?   Good report. Please give your friend a thanks for wanting it posted here.

Paul

You have a friend? :D

Good report. Please give your friend a thanks for wanting it posted here.

• Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

I use 'Tony' next door neighbour to me (if you don't count the non-finished lot in between us).

Tony is a Yamaha Japan trained mechanic, who was sent there by Norkis so he could be certified to Service Yamaha 750-4 Police Bikes. He received full set of Yamaha Factory tools, so I am told.

Regardless he knows Yamaha bikes, and not limited to Yamaha as many take their Harley D's etc to receive his attention. Apparently the Norkis Pension he receives is not a lot so he likes to keep his hand in and earn some pocket money for Beers and a better lifestyle.

Tony is a nice guy and an excellent mechanic. Actually I heard about him through 'Terp' who took his Virago to Tony.

When I bought a Kickstarter Kit for my Yamaha XT225 'Serrow', I considered doing it myself.

Reading an illustrated Thread on what this process entailed, and NOT having tools to hold the clutch etc, I entrusted the job to Tony.

I had even printed out the procedure, with illustrations. But there was one Idler Gear with some discussion on the Forum, suggesting the photo of its fitting, was the 'wrong way around'!

Tony said he knew that Photo of the Idler Gear was wrong - he fitted it the correct way around in my XT225 'Serrow'.

How much did Tony want for this - Grande Bottle of Red Horse! (But thinks Sha-Sha gave him Php500)

Not bloody worth me trying to do such work, without the right tools, when a Yamaha Japan, trained, retired, mechanic is virtually next door to you!

Can't say he will Quote such a good price, to those who are not his Neighbours, but 'Terp' seemed happy with his work and his 'normal' 'pocket money'.

I would not bother Tony,. with Vulcanising, nor Wheel Rebuilding, even if he was willing and capable.

Waste of his Skills and Experience.

Andy (musicmann666) will say those who confess to be skilled in wheel-building, are not so good when they lace it to the hub, in the opposite direction (to the 'arrow' marked on the rim).

Andy never did post how much having his 17" Motard Rims / Tires changed to21" front and 18" Rear Alloy rims cost, and he went with Enduro Tires or something (that proved to be useless in soft mud - too much Road use bias)!

Nice to hear recommendation for more simpler tasks, and at very reasonable rates (if not a neighbor factory trained in Yamaha Japan Factory), so thanks for this Post on that.

USMC-Retired
Nice to hear recommendation for more simpler tasks, and at very reasonable rates (if not a neighbor factory trained in Yamaha Japan Factory), so thanks for this Post on that.

What the Hell David. You have no clue to this guys skill level or how he is trained. You do not even know him yet you proceed to insult the guy in a choice for your own. You can post what you think your guys skill level is without a back handed insult to promote someone you know.

• Like 2
Woolf

Must be about where the netcafe is

I need a few spokes changed on the rear wheel my motor bike, I hope I can remember this when I am back in october

Bill H

For those of us in the Provinces where good mechanics are all but non-existent, would you please give better directions? Things like "old wet market" don't have much meaning for us small town folk!

Much Thanks,

Bill

shadow

My motorcycle wobbles occasionally, usually on the way home after a long night out. Next day it is fine again.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

What the Hell David. You have no clue to this guys skill level or how he is trained. You do not even know him yet you proceed to insult the guy in a choice for your own. You can post what you think your guys skill level is without a back handed insult to promote someone you know.

You should have posted it as a Classified Advert if you don't want any Discussion on this Thread Topic

Motor Cycle Repair

What I posted was On-Topic, it was relevant to Motorcycle Repair.

Seems Tim, you dont have any personal experience of the Mechanics @ place in Tabunok/Talisay called Izumi at the base of the flyover on the opposite side of the road from the old wet market

So would you trust Izumi to stripping apart a Yamaha engine and fitting a Kick Starter kit, or working on a Harley Davidson?

I do have experience of Tony fitting a Kick Starter kit to my XT225, and I do see, and hear, many Big Bikes being brought to tony to work on. I am giving a personal recommendation based on my own experience of the work Tony does on Big Bikes.

You posted about a 3rd party having used Izumi for alignment on the rear wheel, oil change and replacement of some broken or missing spokes.

Don't really see why my suggesting that these 'simpler tasks', should be read as 'derogatory' to the capabilities of Izumi? I did not read any recommendations, based on someone having more complicated motorcycle repairs done @ Izumi, that is all.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
Headshot

For those of us in the Provinces where good mechanics are all but non-existent, would you please give better directions? Things like "old wet market" don't have much meaning for us small town folk!

Much Thanks,

Bill

There is only one flyover in Tabunok. Coming from the south, go to the right at the flyover (bypass street) and it should be on your right. There are some bicycle shops in that area too. If you get to the cross street, you have gone too far.

Panzertotem

I thought it was a good post. I would appreciate more constructive posts concerning motorcycle repair and less tearing down of another's.

Edited by Panzertotem
  • Like 4
Headshot

I have a question. How in the hell does a bikes spokes come loose or missing with just under 3 kilometers of use?

It kind of sounds like they weren't tightened properly to start with.

Edited by Headshot
Panzertotem

Well I still don't understand how a new bike with under 3000km can have the spokes come off.

I recently had to change the rear tire off my bike this last Friday. It is a Yamaha YBR 125 and these tires had less than 8km. Not to mention the knobby tread was almost completely worn off the rear tire. The front tire is still ok but is a knobby tread as well. I have noticed that the YBR is an expat bike of choice to a certain extent. Thats great if you off road alot and live in a province where you are always going down dirt muddy roads? I live in Cebu City and the knobbys have been a pain in the ass as I have almost wrecked several times do to the fact that KNOBBY tires are slippery as hell and not worth a shit on wet paved roads, especially when you are trying to do a u-turn or pull into an establishment with paved entrances.

New rear tire was 3600 pesos. I opted for the 130 wide hybrid road tire when what I really wanted was the Dunlop. The Dunlop was 5800 pesos. The bike handles much better now especially when I am riding one of my heavy expat friends. God damn tire used to feel like it was going to peel off the wheel while cornering. This tire solved that issue.

If anyone has 2000 pesos lying around I would like to get the front replaced as well. Thats the one always slipping when its wet outside. You can send your donation to www.deeznutzdanglingonyourchin.com, customer service reps are standing by. Joke lang. hehe

Edited by Panzertotem
thebob

Much Thanks,

Bill

My good man! About 2km before Badian, on the left coming from Moalboal is Dom's shop.

Dom is an absolute master of any 2 wheeled repair. He is diligent, honest, imaginative, knows what he is doing and so cheap that it doesn't bare thinking about.

The Honda and Rusi "dealers" in Moalboal call him when they are stuck!

He is the man who made my Honda TMX 6 speed conversion possible. No job is too big or small, and he will often lend you one of his bikes to use if yours is off the road for a few days.

He can do anything to any bike local or imported. Tell him I sent you, but he treats everyone the same anyway!

For wheel building the parts/repair shop in the back left corner of the market is the go to place. Re-lacing a wheel cost me P80. No fuss no drama.

USMC-Retired

David it is called Hijacking a thread. You are hijacking it for your personal gain. If you have personal experience with guy post it. If you recommend another guy post it. Yet you say think this guy is some how only qualified for simpler tasks because your guy is better. How do you know? Do you know this guy? Really David like your recommendations are some how good. Legacy ya a good thing there or how about a V8 Motorcycle another winner.

Edited by Norseman