Sign in to follow this  
lakan

Trip from hell

udonthani

ferries can also take a quite different amount of time depending on which direction it's going in. The Danao-Consuelo ferry takes half an hour less on average going out, than coming in. The tides also make a difference.

I'm not absolutely sure of this but I think the Cebu-Iligan ferry I was on went round the west side of Bohol i.e. almost due south, whereas the Cebu-CDO goes round the east side of Bohol.

USMC-Retired

I traveled from Cebu to Ozamis last year. A good friend recommended I travel with Cokaliong. The owner of the Ships was on the docks and inspecting the ships as they left. I can say that it was an excellent ride there. We spent extra on the ride over and upgraded from tourist class to Clarin Tourist. It was a nice room with very nice bunks. However for the Larger Fellows (6'2" or 260" plus) you may have a little trouble no matter what ever you travel. Unless you get a Suite.

This is exactly how it looks and how clean it was for

clarin_tourist.jpg

We could not get a return ticket from them and had to travel Negros Navigation. Negros Navigation was a filthy ship and just overall dirty.

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 1

Experienced

We've taken Cokaliang, Kinswell, Roble, and Ocean Jet from Cebu to Leyte. Ocean Jet's hydrofoil service was fast and comfy but not as much faster as I expected. Highly professional though. LIke someone says it all depends on the boat you get. We tend to like Roble best and have never had a bad experience with them. If you can catch the Theresan Stars that is one heckuva nice boat. Never noticed any safety issues with these guys. I've gotta agree with those who say the night boats are the best way to travel if you're not flying. I've seen those Negros Navigation boats and you couldn't pay me enough to get on one!

udonthani

only once have I ever really not felt safe on a ferry, and that was the Super Shuttle doing the short Santa Fe-Hagnaya run.

it was just shortly after New Year, there'd been bad weather the previous day, and all the boats had been cancelled. Therefore this one was rammed full and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was overloaded with cargo as well. The weather was also iffy, quite a swell up, not much better than the previous day.

if i had been on my own there's no way I would have taken that ship. But I had to because my girl had to be back at work at Mizumi in Danao as you know you can't take days off work there for silly reasons like you thought you might die if you took an overloaded ferry in bad weather. I was worried and tense the whole time. I made sure we sat up on deck, not below.

• Like 1

Bigboned

Great posts guys and some really good info for guys like me who are yet to experiance the ferrys their.And as for MR Udonthanis bad weather experiance i dont no if i could handle that without crying like a girl, as i start feeling sea sick if the water in the bath tub gets a bit choppy after a trump.

udonthani

hardly any of them can swim, so if they do get pitched in the water in extremis, even with a lifejacket on, there's no guarantee even that would be enough to keep them alive.

in the Philippines there's also a very high proportion of children compared to most countries, children can grab adult ones, adults child ones and so on. I've been on many Filipino ferries, never had a lifeboat drill, never had any kind of safety talk of any kind, from any of the staff.

I went on the Cunard line's QE2, New York-Southampton once as a kid aged 8. In those days, it wasn't much more expensive than flying. One of the highlights of the trip for me, was the lifeboat drill. It was just fantastic.

but don't panic too much. The sinking of the Princess of the Stars was such a national humiliation for the Philippines that they realised they were going to need to upgrade their safety and coastguard, and they are showing signs that they are at least trying to improve. Ships will continue to go down though, to some extent whatever happens.

lakan

Thanks for the report.

Do you happen to recall what number Superferry this was?

Not sure, the "Good" ferry was the one those idiot Abu Sayef loons blew up.

Lakan

lakan

I reckon the rice was a bit aenemic lookin too mate (I eat brown/red rice only)

In retrospect that "Chicken" may have been a large bird or a pigeon.

Lakan

Davaoeno
loons

and yet another possibility for the " bird du jour "

lakan

and yet another possibility for the " bird du jour "

Actually a "loon" ...a big canadian Duck that they put on one of their coins...is quite large...I'm reminded of the quail I used to shoot.

Lakan

Jim Sibbick

That just reinforces my opinions of the Philippine's Ferry Industy. There is no way in hell I would take an over night trip here. The only trips I take here are short Island Hops of an hour or less and never out of site of land! They have the worst safety record in the world as well as the most deaths ever recorded from a ferry accident............and as you experienced they care very little about the passengers or there boats. Not a good combination!

I agree with the most deaths from a single accident. However, on a per trip basis, with hundreds of ferry trips undertaken each day, I was thinking that the number of accidents is quite low.

Do you have statistics to show that the Philippines is the most unsafe in the world?

I am very happy to travel on ferries in the Philippines. I have been doing so since 1994. Since 1994, I have seen continuous safety improvemnts. Some of the most obvious are.

Previously anyone could walk onto a pier. Now thay are fenced off with guards and you go through metal detectors to get on to the pier.

Previously no checking of luggage. Now they have bomb sniffing dogs and some companies also search luggage.

Previously a boat would have a mess of ropes and rubish. And passage ways would be blocked. On all my recent trips, everything has been spic and span

Previously there were no life jackets. Now every boat seems over run with life jackets.

Until a couple of years ago, I had never seen any safety training what so ever. Now I have seen sailors training several times.

My favourite trip is in a Presidential suite on Trans Asia. With in room massages, private balcony, mini bar and free movies.

Regards: JIm

• Like 1

shadow

I agree with the most deaths from a single accident. However, on a per trip basis, with hundreds of ferry trips undertaken each day, I was thinking that the number of accidents is quite low.

Do you have statistics to show that the Philippines is the most unsafe in the world?

I am very happy to travel on ferries in the Philippines. I have been doing so since 1994. Since 1994, I have seen continuous safety improvemnts. Some of the most obvious are.

Previously anyone could walk onto a pier. Now thay are fenced off with guards and you go through metal detectors to get on to the pier.

Previously no checking of luggage. Now they have bomb sniffing dogs and some companies also search luggage.

Previously a boat would have a mess of ropes and rubish. And passage ways would be blocked. On all my recent trips, everything has been spic and span

Previously there were no life jackets. Now every boat seems over run with life jackets.

Until a couple of years ago, I had never seen any safety training what so ever. Now I have seen sailors training several times.

My favourite trip is in a Presidential suite on Trans Asia. With in room massages, private balcony, mini bar and free movies.

Regards: JIm

Yes, the Trans Asia boats are top notch!

Larry in Dumaguete

udonthani

what i would like to see is a website about the individual passenger ferries in service in the Philippines, as opposed to just the websites of the companies that own them at a particular time, like Trans Asia, Super Ferry etc.

• Like 2