Sign in to follow this  
lakan

Trip from hell

lakan

Just wanted to give you all a few thoughts on my latest trip from hell via Super ferry lines to and from CDO.

Me and the wIfe took one of our periodic jaunts down to Midanao's CDo City to see the in laws.

We made the mistake of taking advantage of the cheap "day trip" fares on Monday last monday May 2nd. Big mistake. We got their early for the 10 Am departure. Sat in the sweltering heat at

8:30 until around 11:30, (only and hour and a half late...not bad by Phil standards) when they finally got the ship repaired to a degree it would make it to CDO.

There offered a free lunch to compensate for the delay...rice and fish or chicken of course. Docked late, fought the crush of rip off taxi's who wanted P200 for a P75 fare and got in a private car. Not too bad, rather prototypical in fact of just another fery trip in the Philippines.

Decided to Come back...so we thought...Monday evening on a "special promotional fare" departing CDo at 11Pm arriving 7 AM tuesday morning in Cebu. Went to the pier that evening about 8 PM, we got told the departure was delayed until the next morning. Maybe 10 Am, maybe later...depends. The Wife went ballistic. "Why didn't you annouce on the news, or call us since you took the phone numbers", hell hath no fury like a Filipina who just spent P75 on a taxi for nothing.

Next morning here we are at the pier, 8:30 Am. Sat in the place until well after noon time when they loaded us up. Boat didn;t move until 4 PM. AC was shut down along with the ships engine. Finally got moving and got another free meal of anemic chicken and rice.

The problem is (after talking to various filipinos and an expat foreigner or two is that Super Ferry's ship need a major engine overhaul but they don;t want to take the ship off line and repair it proper so they do just enought o make the trips back and forth. Thats why the delays, thats why the cheap fares.

So a word to the wise, avoid the cheap fares and go with a different line...or fly.

Lakan

• Like 4

Davaoeno
So a word to the wise, avoid the cheap fares and go with a different line...or fly

what- and miss all the fun ? I think that you forgot your mantra . All you have to do is to say chant like over and over " life is more fun in the Philippines" and everything will be wonderful !

m60man

That just reinforces my opinions of the Philippine's Ferry Industy. There is no way in hell I would take an over night trip here. The only trips I take here are short Island Hops of an hour or less and never out of site of land! They have the worst safety record in the world as well as the most deaths ever recorded from a ferry accident............and as you experienced they care very little about the passengers or there boats. Not a good combination!

BossHog

Thanks for the report.

Do you happen to recall what number Superferry this was?

udonthani

I've taken this soute to and from Cebu and CDO by ferry maybe 10 or 12 times with no issues whatsoever, the ferry has never been delayed once in fact one time the thing was quite a new ship and whizzed along, and got in far too early at like 4.30am when it was supposed to get in at 6am.

forget that. There was no friggin' way I was getting out of bed at hour when I'd been up on deck drinking only three hours before.

so i just stayed in my bunk until about 8am. You don't have to leave the boat when it docks if you don't want to. You can stay on it for hours afterwards until somebody says look buddy you have to piss off.

it's true ferries are different, my favourites are the ones with the videoke on deck, rather than down below when everybody has a right laugh, it's so much more fun when you have the sea breeze. 'Sailing' made famous by Rod Stewart, and of course the Titanic song are guaranteed to be sung.

you need to remember the names of the ships.

I always bring my own beers and food in a cool bag packed with ice and almost never spend any cash on board at all, apart from 5 pesos for the videoke.

never been delayed once I can remember. Last December we went down the port in Cebu with the aim of getting to Camiguin on the Friday night Super Shuttle, but it was eventually cancelled because of Tropical Storm Sendong.

it's true it was a bit of a drag having to wait around at the ferry terminal in the rain for a couple of hours before I decided it just wasn't happening for us, but it never occured to me to blame anybody, or curse anybody out for this.

• Like 3

Paul

Anemic chicken and rice? I'm dyin' here, man.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

samatm

Well at least the Captain didn't swing too close inland to impress his head cooks family and his mistress and crush the Superferry into a reef ala Costa Concordia.

Whippy is right on this one. You had a bad trip experience and the trip report was fun to read we appreicate that, but it shouldn't deter folks from booking with SuperFerry or 2GO as they are now called. SuperFerry is about the best run and most capitalized of the all the lines running here. I've never had problems with their lines as well. The 24hour run to Manila can be quite enjoyable as long as the weather is fine.

Has anyone taken the line to Gensan from CEB. ?

• Like 1

udonthani

I do like ferries but I wouldn't want to take a really long one, they're not like the QE2 after all. I went on the Cebu-Iligan one, that took 16 hours and the last few hours dragged a bit. The Gen San one must take 20 hours, far too long for me when you can fly so easily. Best time period on a ferry is like 8-12 hours, like CDO-Tagbilaran, or CDO-Cebu. You get a sing, a piss up, a sleep and then you're there. Night ferries are much better than a day ferry that takes like five or six hours but you don't sleep on it and just wastes a day.

• Like 2

KennyF

Yup, I've done the Super Ferry a half dozen times or more, back and forth from Cebu to Camiguin or CDO.

I like it because you can get a really good sleep after a 3 or 7 cans of SMB.

Never had a problem. Even in rough seas it sails OK.

I know it takes all night but hey, I'm asleep for 8 or 9 of those hours.

Trap for new players. Make sure your tickets give you and the significant other bunk beds alongside each other.

Most times it's a case of sleep where you like but sometimes to purser get pedantic.

KonGC

udonthani

knowing the layout of the ship helps a lot, for example if I'd known that the tourist class (aircon) accommodation on the Cebu-Iligan ferry was just one big dormitory instead of the more usual seperation into small compartments with bunks, I'd have paid extra for a cabin. Normally I wouldn't bother with a cabin, unless maybe on one of the much longer trips.

there should be some online resource somewhere that shows all the ships, gives their names, and what kind of accommodation they offer. I don't think there is one.

overall ferries in the Philippines are like trains in Thailand. Far better at night.

Edited by udonthani

shadow

I do like ferries but I wouldn't want to take a really long one, they're not like the QE2 after all. I went on the Cebu-Iligan one, that took 16 hours and the last few hours dragged a bit. The Gen San one must take 20 hours, far too long for me when you can fly so easily. Best time period on a ferry is like 8-12 hours, like CDO-Tagbilaran, or CDO-Cebu. You get a sing, a piss up, a sleep and then you're there. Night ferries are much better than a day ferry that takes like five or six hours but you don't sleep on it and just wastes a day.

I assume you may be confusing Iligan with another location. The Iligan/Cebu trip is no longer than the CDO/Cebu, Ozamis/Cebu or Dapitan/Cebu trip, unless they were paddling it or stopped along the way, of course.

We have been on dozens of overnight ferry trips, and enjoyed most all of them (Sulpicio notwithstanding). It is our favorite way to travel within the Islands.

Larry in Dumaguete

Wombat No More

Anemic chicken and rice? I'm dyin' here, man.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I reckon the rice was a bit aenemic lookin too mate (I eat brown/red rice only)

Martwain

I've taken Superferry many times to/from Cebu to Manila with no problems other than delays in departure/arrivals. I always get the stateroom and like others have said, I bring my own beer (and usually underestimate how much I'll drink and end up buying more at the store onboard ;) ) Drink some beer, watch some TV, nap, drink some more beer, eat, drink some more beer.... I don't mind the delays because I've grown used to that. I don't know if staterooms are available on all routes though...

Edited by Martwain

udonthani

I assume you may be confusing Iligan with another location. The Iligan/Cebu trip is no longer than the CDO/Cebu,

no it's much longer. Cebu/CDO is usually 10 hours though it can be less than that, Cebu/Iligan is supposed to be 15 hours (I checked with the travel agent where I bought the ticket and remarked about it at the time), but when we took it in February it overan, it left at 6pm but didn't arrive in Iligan until after 10am next day. The boat stopped in Ozamis port for almost two hours. It would have been much quicker to get off there and then get a jeep to Iligan.

shadow

no it's much longer. Cebu/CDO is usually 10 hours though it can be less than that, Cebu/Iligan is supposed to be 15 hours (I checked with the travel agent where I bought the ticket and remarked about it at the time), but when we took it in February it overan, it left at 6pm but didn't arrive in Iligan until after 10am next day. The boat stopped in Ozamis port for almost two hours. It would have been much quicker to get off there and then get a jeep to Iligan.

"or stopped along the way"

Yes, any stop along the way is going to add a minimum of three hours, it takes them an hour to dock sometimes. We always took the Cebu Ferries boat on the Cebu/Iligan trip, which does not stop in Ozamis, at least does not depending on which day you travel. Iligan and Ozamis being so close together it would be much cheaper and quicker to take the bus between them if that was the only choice.

Our favorites are Cebu Ferries (also a 2GO boat now) and Cokaliong.

Larry in Dumaguete