Sign in to follow this  
Wombat No More

PIZZA BOX MAKER/SUPPLIER, where the bloody hell? (Wombat)

Alan S

It might be worthwhile sourcing them from overseas, even if you have to buy more than you need and sell the surplus on.

Or keep a large stock.

EVen with shipping, it could still be cheaper.

There might also be quality or reliability advantages too.

Kim_

Come with your OWN pizzabox and get 10 Peso DISCOUNT!

or

http://www.splitcoas...rials/pizzabox/

http://www.ehow.com/...izza-boxes.html

maybe someone can make the boxes out of recycled cardboard...

Just trying to think outside of the box to help with new ideas....

Dont be so negative...

Edit; AND become environmental friendly at the same time .. :)

Edited by Kim_

Chris24

Wombat - that's brilliant, starting an ancillary carry out and delivery pizza business. Many years ago I managed a Dominos Pizza in the states, no recollection of what the cost of boxes was and it would have no bearing today in the Cebu/Mactan market anyway.

What I do recall is that the delivery box was a PRIME marketing opportunity, you can stick everything from coupons to refrigerator magnets onto them in order to garner repeat business. If you are going to custom-print your own boxes, you might as well have the printer also run a few thousand 2-color or 4-color box-toppers to incent the buyer to order from you again. And to cross-sell your on-site business with hours of operation, specials, special events, etc.

And don't underestimate the potential of carry-out business. One of the beauties of pizza is that it travels well, and if you can get a good stable of customers who call ahead for a carry-out to take back home to the family, you save the cost of delivery while providing a valuable convenience to your (repeat) customers.

If I lived there I'd volunteer to come help you set this up, but alas, that's still a few years off yet. Sorry you were not open earlier this year when I saw your newly-painted establishment from the back of a multi-cab, might just stop back there in October or February to try a pizza. No doubt you'll have solved the box issue by then. Remember the marketing potential of those boxes. It'll need to be a coupon or add-on because people will not keep the boxes, but they'll be inclined to keep stuff that's stuck onto it, and you want them to hang onto something that'll be handy next time they're thinking about what to do for dinner......

• Like 3

expat08

Wombat - that's brilliant, starting an ancillary carry out and delivery pizza business. Many years ago I managed a Dominos Pizza in the states, no recollection of what the cost of boxes was and it would have no bearing today in the Cebu/Mactan market anyway.

What I do recall is that the delivery box was a PRIME marketing opportunity, you can stick everything from coupons to refrigerator magnets onto them in order to garner repeat business. If you are going to custom-print your own boxes, you might as well have the printer also run a few thousand 2-color or 4-color box-toppers to incent the buyer to order from you again. And to cross-sell your on-site business with hours of operation, specials, special events, etc.

And don't underestimate the potential of carry-out business. One of the beauties of pizza is that it travels well, and if you can get a good stable of customers who call ahead for a carry-out to take back home to the family, you save the cost of delivery while providing a valuable convenience to your (repeat) customers.

If I lived there I'd volunteer to come help you set this up, but alas, that's still a few years off yet. Sorry you were not open earlier this year when I saw your newly-painted establishment from the back of a multi-cab, might just stop back there in October or February to try a pizza. No doubt you'll have solved the box issue by then. Remember the marketing potential of those boxes. It'll need to be a coupon or add-on because people will not keep the boxes, but they'll be inclined to keep stuff that's stuck onto it, and you want them to hang onto something that'll be handy next time they're thinking about what to do for dinner......

Best advice on this topic and someone who's been in the Pizza Biz. One thing to consider is manufacturing your own. Materials to maintain the heat, moisture inside. Something to go with it that is sturdy enough that won't just break like most pizza boxes in Cebu. You have a great PRODUCT. Make sure you deliver GREAT SERVICE with it. Your market will not just be Expats in the future.and your competitors will creep up to flagship restaurants and chain stores.

In fact....I'm actually interested in investing in your business.

Edited by expat08

Wombat No More

Best advice on this topic and someone who's been in the Pizza Biz. One thing to consider is manufacturing your own. Materials to maintain the heat, moisture inside. Something to go with it that is sturdy enough that won't just break like most pizza boxes in Cebu. You have a great PRODUCT. Make sure you deliver GREAT SERVICE with it. Your market will not just be Expats in the future.and your competitors will creep up to flagship restaurants and chain stores.

In fact....I'm actually interested in investing in your business.

Well, I dunno mate, my thoughts on keeping moisture inside, ie, the food can't 'breathe' is that it effects the quality of the food. Crispy stuff is no longer crispy after 10 minutes etc. Corrugated cardboard keeps a lot of heat in for a while and allows the moisture to settle elswhere than on the crispy bits...

I already had a partner a few years ago mate and he got my entire $70k plus (which was the funds from selling my house in Australia) and it's still in the courts... So saying, I do everything alone and will either sink or float with my very meagre income. I'm not a good investment anyway mate coz I'm generally between 20% to 40% cheaper than any other place around and don't plan to raise prices & never did intend to try and make lot's of money...

And it's not my business but my wife's, I just built it all and watch tv in the cafe and say hi to folks. Well, most folks but there's one yank here somewhere going around bad mouthing the place and calling the food shit (the opposite of everyone else) coz when he came here 1st time, I didn't get up and say hello to him and companions inthe hour they were there... A rare event but I am sometimes (very infrequently) super stressed and don't talk to any folks til I feel better... A legacy of my military service. Ooroo folks (there's no facility on this reply section to do colour or bold and it keeps flicking down to this lower size... bloody site)

• Like 1

expat08

Well, I dunno mate, my thoughts on keeping moisture inside, ie, the food can't 'breathe' is that it effects the quality of the food. Crispy stuff is no longer crispy after 10 minutes etc. Corrugated cardboard keeps a lot of heat in for a while and allows the moisture to settle elswhere than on the crispy bits...

I already had a partner a few years ago mate and he got my entire $70k plus (which was the funds from selling my house in Australia) and it's still in the courts... So saying, I do everything alone and will either sink or float with my very meagre income. I'm not a good investment anyway mate coz I'm generally between 20% to 40% cheaper than any other place around and don't plan to raise prices & never did intend to try and make lot's of money...

And it's not my business but my wife's, I just built it all and watch tv in the cafe and say hi to folks. Well, most folks but there's one yank here somewhere going around bad mouthing the place and calling the food shit (the opposite of everyone else) coz when he came here 1st time, I didn't get up and say hello to him and companions inthe hour they were there... A rare event but I am sometimes (very infrequently) super stressed and don't talk to any folks til I feel better... A legacy of my military service. Ooroo folks (there's no facility on this reply section to do colour or bold and it keeps flicking down to this lower size... bloody site)

Investors don't necessarily take your money. They put their OWN into your business or partner to give you a service you can't find or own a small share of the biz or however that works. I'm going to business college right now and just keep open on ideas or potentials. Where I'm from it's really cold and no humidity so you want the moisture in the pizza. I guess i need to switch gears it's the Philippines.

I think your place has a big chance of growing into something. Not a corporate or a chain thing just really successful and alot of pleased customers (not just expats).

I already got several that wana try your place. Gave your pizza to some filipino friends and they said it's better than shakeys or greewich. They were shocked by your price.

Nice to see a foreigner do it on his own and strike well with the whole demographic.

I want one tonight actually.

Edited by expat08

Wombat No More

Investors don't necessarily take your money. They put their OWN into your business or partner to give you a service you can't find or own a small share of the biz or however that works. I'm going to business college right now and just keep open on ideas or potentials. Where I'm from it's really cold and no humidity so you want the moisture in the pizza. I guess i need to switch gears it's the Philippines.

I think your place has a big chance of growing into something. Not a corporate or a chain thing just really successful and alot of pleased customers (not just expats).

I already got several that wana try your place. Gave your pizza to some filipino friends and they said it's better than shakeys or greewich. They were shocked by your price.

Nice to see a foreigner do it on his own and strike well with the whole demographic.

I want one tonight actually.

Ah well, memory probs (genuine) kicking in again... I don't remember meeting 'expat08' and I'm sorry about not knowing who you are right now... But, if you hurry up in the next 2 hours, you have a pretty good chance of being the 1st customer for the day... Yeah, we are doing that good, unfortunately we don't have enough to advertise and it's hard but I'll stick it out for the duration to help the wife's cafe, I just won't have much pension left. Lost a little over P40k this month and had to spend another P60k in still stocking the place... Finding the P30k for the pizza boxes is still doable.

Hello!!! first customer just came in... yes, it's a pizza to go. And buffalo wings...

expat08

Ur location is hard to find and distant. I think that is one of the reasons. You're basically doing viral marketing and that is only based on the positive experiences of how many consume your product or get your service. Also most are used to what is in Cebu. So they think a new place won't be AS GOOD as Greewich (which I think is disgusting). I'll be by your place hopefully before you close tonight.

You've met me before ;-)

and also i think 1/20 businesses at least in the USA are around after the 5 year mark and usually completely have gone under or closed, been sold, change their entire strategy of products and services.

Most usually lose money the first year considering everything put into it and ROI. It takes time to build it and stick with it to find the right formula (operations).....

Edited by expat08

Stranded Shipscook

I slightly remmber that i gave you the Adress of Star Paper Corporationin Mandaue.. maybe you lost it. Here is a link:

http://www.ilink.ph/view.php?id=1657

Ok,here is what i do since 10 years. And will not change as well in future, been there with the Box guys, way to expensive.

I buy some sheets of cardbox of Starpaper, with one side glossy, the other grey. If you add a peso, you can have all glossy.

They have several sizes, one can make about 8 boxes, smaller ones 6 boxes.

The common mistake is that People buy the boxes too thick btw.the stability comes from the folding,not from the Material.

So i used my old brain a bit and drew something on the sheets, cut them out, and stapled them with a simple office stapler. My waitresses do that in their "off time" instead of folding tissue paper.

Once you got a Master "cut out, you can use it over and over as a measure, after 3 months the staff can do it blindfolded anyhow.

The cardboard i use is about10 sheets (quite thin) for 260php, making 60boxes,i use the leftover cutting for something else. I could use larger sheets making 8 boxes, but i need the leftover cutout.

If you need a lot, say 100per/day, you can outsource the labor to People which need money. (Cottage Industry)

Hope this helps.

One word to the "Print" For bloody what ? The guys which order the Pizza know where they ordered it and the box goes in the trash anyhow.

I doubt people get inspired by Trash to order a Pizza ( At least not the ones going through the garbage)

So safe your money and scrap the Print. Or place a simple Rubber stamp saying " Wombats is the Best" on each lid. Rubber stamps you can have manufactured Roadside in Colon.

Edited by Guenther Vomberg
  • Like 1