Sign in to follow this  
Mandala

smart hdd virus ?

Mandala

Has anyone been unfortunate enough to get a virus called" smart hdd" on your pc ?If so, how did you get rid of it? My desk top pc now gives me a message after loggin in to windows (xp), saying that there is a hard drive error, and i should send smart hdd some money to fix it ! It won't let me past it to get to any of my desk top icons. or any of my programs, I know it must be some sort of virus, and not really my hard drive ( I hope) . Any suggestions other than take it to a costly comp repair place ? I guess it got by my norton antivirus program

rfm010

you might try the following:

malwaretips.com/blogs/uninstall-smart-hdd/

edit: a quote from the page, in case the bug is making it difficult to access things on your computer:

As an optional step,you can use the following license key to register Smart HDD and stop the fake alerts.

Please keep in mind that entering the above registration code will NOT remove Smart HDD from your computer , instead it will just stop the fake alerts so that you’ll be able to complete our removal guide more easily.

We strongly advise you to follow our Smart HDD removal guide and ignore any alerts that this malicious software might generate.Under no circumstance should you buy this rogue security software as this could lead to identity theft.

Edited by Paul
made link a hyperlinnk

Mandala

you might try the following:

malwaretips.com/blogs/uninstall-smart-hdd/

I will try it , THANKS

Edited by Paul
made link a hyperlink

Mailman

A Google search for 'smart hdd' brings up many pages with removal instructions.

It involves some registry edits. If you are not comfortable with that sort of thing, it is recommended that you use someone more familiar does this for you (or walks you through it).

Good luck.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

That is a version of Anti Virus scam, malware. It is tough to remove and good luck. You can actually BSOD your computer removing it unless you are familar with how to remove it. Better read everything that involves getting it off prior to attempting to hack your registry or remove certain files.

Mandala

OK, thanks guys, I am working on it now, (malwaretips.com/blog/uninstall-smart-hdd/ ) I have it in safe mode and am downloading RKILL now, so far so good. this is giving me step by step directions, and hope i get thru to the end, i will let you know if it is a sucsess ( I am on my little netbook now)

Mandala

That is a version of Anti Virus scam, malware. It is tough to remove and good luck. You can actually BSOD your computer removing it unless you are familar with how to remove it. Better read everything that involves getting it off prior to attempting to hack your registry or remove certain files.

Whats BSOD ? doesn't sound good............it is scanning with "malwarebytes anti-malware " at the moment,( I selected the free version,) hope it works

USMC-Retired

Blue screen of death.

Mandala

well, it found and quarintined 322 trojans and adware, , about 300 of them associated with funshun,, and acouple of registry issues, but didn't see that it found smart hdd, I just rebooted and after loggin in windows , all my icons show up on mydesktop, but the screen is grey, not blue, and nothing will open, so i guess smart hdd is still there. So I guess i need to start over only i am going to try a full scan next, instead of quick scan this time, and hope it gets it. what does grey screen mean ?

USMC-Retired

about 300 of them associated with funshun. Yes it does not like the program. However none of those are malware or spyware. It is a false positive. If you review the removal it just removed pictures and anything with the word Funshion in it.

Mandala

I am trying to run an full scan, but running slow as shit, maybe i should go back and upgrade to the pay verion of malwarebytes, if does not get it

USMC-Retired

Let me add to above Funshion unless you run it through my program has a program called Funshion Service that starts everytime your computer starts. Additionally it will upload and download files without your permission. What I did was ensure that it did not do that. I have a kill task and INF file that removes the entries and stops it everytime the program runs. Also it will create pop-ups through the funshion service. Knowing these things and preventing them is key to running the program.

Pay program is no faster.... Same interface

Edited by Norseman

Mandala

Ok, i hear you Tim, but if i still can.t get rid of this smart hdd thing, i will try to uninstall funshun to see if it any better, It is 1:00 am here, and it looks like this full scan is going to take awhile ,so i am going to let it run and get some sleep, and attack it again later, thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted

SkyMan
after loggin in to windows (xp),
Maybe it's time to format your hard drive and install Win7?
  • Like 2

USMC-Retired

You clicked a link that said you were infected. When you clicked that link it installed this malware. It is such a common ploy. It is very very difficult to remove.