Can a US citizen teach English in the Philippines ?

lazydays

As far as i'm aware there is nothing to stop anyone running an online business in RP as long as its aimed at overseas customers and the income comes from overseas. Example - Teaching english online to students in Korea, Japan etc.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyrus2Ray

• lazydays

• TorJay

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

consider Vietnam. the pay scale is much better. I know of several guys stayed in Vung Tau on the beach, a beautiful very modern city where everything actually works right. Very little requirement

As far as i'm aware there is nothing to stop anyone running an online business in RP as long as its aimed at overseas customers and the income comes from overseas. Example - Teaching english online to

Cyrus2Ray

As far as i'm aware there is nothing to stop anyone running an online business in RP as long as its aimed at overseas customers and the income comes from overseas. Example - Teaching english online to students in Korea, Japan etc.

doing exactly what you mentioned is what I have had in mind,

but strange as it may seem, it is exactly what is considered not-legal in Thailand,

even though it is all directed to and coming from outside Thailand, such as trading an online account back in the US, such as with E-Trade.

So I guess the Philippines is not as strict about it as Thailand seems to be.

lazydays

but strange as it may seem, it is exactly what is considered not-legal in Thailand,

even though it is all directed to and coming from outside Thailand, such as trading an online account back in the US, such as with E-Trade.

So I guess the Philippines is not as strict about it as Thailand seems to be.

I doubt the Philippines would have any concerns as it would be income earned overseas and initially paid into your home country bank, i presume, via PayPal or other.

Therefore you are not selling too or competing with Filipinos, and the income is not being earned from within the Philippines.

( If income was earned within the Philippines then it would be subject to local taxes also).

If i were to start an Internet business like teaching english to foreigners in other Asian countries online, i would start doing it from my home country now, build up your reputation and customer base and establish an income stream before moving overseas, this will take time of course, it won't happen overnight.

Teaching english online to Koreans,Japanese or Chinese for that matter, would also be far more lucrative than teaching Filipinos or Thais etc.

Guy60417

even though it is all directed to and coming from outside Thailand

It would seem extremely difficult to police this. In any case, if the Philippines doesn't care about it, great. I'm going to be doing something similar -- I have a free-lance writing gig with a company that is paying me to make posts to their business blog a few times a week and write a monthly newsletter.

I don't understand why Thailand would care if I did something like that from Bangkok -- I'm certainly not taking a job from a Thai, nor would what I'd be doing impact Thailand in any way. Still, that their business. I don't understand why it's against the law to insult the king, either -- but it is.

Ozbrum

Ray

pm me privately i will give you some info on this

Al

The Mason

To put it bluntly.

"What can you do that a Filipino can't do?"

Show up on time?

Davaoeno

Show up on time?

Think about the consequences of things more than one day into the future.

Not only know what due diligence is but actually do it before i proceed with something .

Ginamos

Forget about it.

There are schools that offer cheap English classes to Koreans. By cheap, that means taught by a Filipino, whose grasp of English isn't quite the same as a native speakers.

Teach English in Japan, S. Korea, China or Vietnam.

Edited by Ginamos
David_LivinginTalisay

Forget about it.

There are schools that offer cheap English classes to Koreans. By cheap, that means taught by a Filipino, whose grasp of English isn't quite the same as a native speakers.

Teach English in Japan, S. Korea, China or Vietnam.

Having followed up on that Message Post offering Seasonal Job teaching English to mainly Korean Teenagers, I can confirm that a lot of Filipino English Teachers were hired for that Korean English Winter Camp @ Lancaster Hotel. over on Mactan.

I can can also confirm that got paid about 1/4 of what the Native English Teachers got paid. The Philipino Teacher mainly taught 1 on 1 Classes.

As a Native English Teacher, hired for that same English Winter Camp along with 3 others. There was also Faculty Native English Teachers that operated on a 'Shift' basis - some working Mornings, ans swapping with some colleages for the Afternoon, and a few opting for an Evening shift.

I was teaching 8 x 50 Minute Classes per day (4 x Group Classes of 4-7 Students and 4 x '1 on 1' Classes). Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner was provided. Originally, I was led to believe it was basic 6 classes per day, and if one did extra classes, there would be increased pay. By doing 8 classes per day I was expecting 25% increase to what was being offered.

I suggest you get this in writing, before you start teaching. I ended up getting about Php30,000 for 24 days work. Not good by Western Standards, but about 4 x what Filipino English Teachers got paid for doing more hours!

Yeh Philipino with good English skills, could earn more working in a Call Center, but this is Shift work, longer hours and 6 days per week, rather 5 days per week, 8am to 6pm.

There are also some aspects of some Call Center Operations, that some don't agree with, as they could be considered 'unethical'. So perhaps these Philipino Terachers have high moral standards and perhaps won't stoop to doing things they conside unethical.

udonthani

if you were any good at being an English teacher, one of the last places you would work would be the Philippines. I understand that there are plenty of inhabitants of the United States that don't speak English. Why don't you start with them.

• 1 month later...

This is something that I have also considered.

I have an internationally recognized TESL diploma but I do not have the "degree". I do have a college diploma though.

I will be marrying my Filipina girlfriend in the not too distant future and heard that this gives me an automatic right to a work permit once we are married. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Also, should I be asking this question in a new topic?

Davaoeno

if you were any good at being an English teacher, one of the last places you would work would be the Philippines. I understand that there are plenty of inhabitants of the United States that don't speak English. Why don't you start with them.

I was born in Gateshead in northern UK and there are lots of people there that don't speak English [ well, nothing that I could understand anyway ! ]

How about work permit requirements and regulations for other types of work in the Philippines for a US citizen ?

Any information regarding the laws and regulations about my 2 questions above would very much be appreciated.

There is no doubt that you can teach english in other asian countries... I think your only opportunity in Philippines is to tutor Koreans-- but set up your own business doing so. However, don't believe alll that you read... you CAN be a professor in the Philippines. I had one american english lit teacher and one belgian german teacher.

This is something that I have also considered.

I have an internationally recognized TESL diploma but I do not have the "degree". I do have a college diploma though.

I will be marrying my Filipina girlfriend in the not too distant future and heard that this gives me an automatic right to a work permit once we are married. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Also, should I be asking this question in a new topic?

There is no international accrediting body for TESL that I know of. i can't answer your question.. but apparently there are online english teaching jobs. if you get through the legal barriers, I think teaaching business english or writing might have a demand. the demand might still be koreans

There is no international accrediting body for TESL that I know of. i can't answer your question.. but apparently there are online english teaching jobs. if you get through the legal barriers, I think teaaching business english or writing might have a demand. the demand might still be koreans

Thanks Frosty. My TESL is accredited through TESL CANADA and is recognized internationally. TESL CANADA is recognized internationally as a bona fide accrediting agency. And you are correct in saying that there is no accrediting or governing body internationally for TESL. Some programs are recognized but most are not.

Edited by TorJay