Can a US citizen teach English in the Philippines ?

Cyrus2Ray

US citizen, male, single, with a university degree and 2 internationally recognized English teaching certificates; a TEFL from Bridge Institute in the US, and a CELTA from University of Cambridge in England, plus 2 years of English teaching experience, .... never been to the Philippines before .... looking to move to Cebu and find a job as an English teacher.

Now, my question is : Can I get a work permit to teach English ? How is the process ? What is required ? What types of work hours and pay levels can be expected ? etc.

I read somewhere online - I can not find that page again and unfortunately did not bookmark it - that the government in the Philippines does NOT issue work permit to non-Philippines citizens to teach English. I was surprised of course, since I had never encountered such a law during my online research regarding any other country, so I guess there are plenty of local Philippines nationals who can teach English and the government there does not want any competition from foreign teachers ??!! ... or am I totally mistaken ?

How about work permit requirements and regulations for other types of work in the Philippines for a US citizen ?

Any information regarding the laws and regulations about my 2 questions above would very much be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyrus2Ray

• lazydays

• TorJay

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

consider Vietnam. the pay scale is much better. I know of several guys stayed in Vung Tau on the beach, a beautiful very modern city where everything actually works right. Very little requirement

As far as i'm aware there is nothing to stop anyone running an online business in RP as long as its aimed at overseas customers and the income comes from overseas. Example - Teaching english online to

goggleye

You can find employment teaching english in the Phils. Getting hooked up with a call center would be the best - my impression is you might make $1000 dollars a month teaching English in cebu at a language school. I believe its customary for the employer to get the work permit. In an English language school you would be the token white guy that makes them look good to the Koreans who come to study. I think other southeast asian countries would be better.

lazydays

Sorry to say, the Philippine Gov't does not legally allow any foreign teachers to teach anything in the Philippines except under special circumstances, reason being that they have many thousands of their own teachers struggling to find teaching jobs.

Yes, you may be lucky to secure an english teaching job at a private Korean english language school or as an english tutor in a call centre, but those jobs are extremely hard to come by and you would need to secure a work visa, (another hurdle).

In the past some foreign english teachers have worked illegally, but you do so at your own risk, (not advised).

AS for general work, work permits are difficult to get due to the many restrictions on types of work. In addition, would you be happy working a 12hr day for a few dollars, (pay is by the day, not the hour) 6 days per week..

PS, the current pay for a Public school teacher (Philippine citizen) is P15,000 per month, thats around 350 USD per month.

Edited by lazydays
David_LivinginTalisay

US citizen, male, single, with a university degree and 2 internationally recognized English teaching certificates; a TEFL from Bridge Institute in the US, and a CELTA from University of Cambridge in England, plus 2 years of English teaching experience, .... never been to the Philippines before .... looking to move to Cebu and find a job as an English teacher.

Now, my question is : Can I get a work permit to teach English ? How is the process ? What is required ? What types of work hours and pay levels can be expected ? etc.

I read somewhere online - I can not find that page again and unfortunately did not bookmark it - that the government in the Philippines does NOT issue work permit to non-Philippines citizens to teach English. I was surprised of course, since I had never encountered such a law during my online research regarding any other country, so I guess there are plenty of local Philippines nationals who can teach English and the government there does not want any competition from foreign teachers ??!! ... or am I totally mistaken ?

How about work permit requirements and regulations for other types of work in the Philippines for a US citizen ?

Any information regarding the laws and regulations about my 2 questions above would very much be appreciated.

Many of the English Schools here in the Philippines have some Native English Teachers. Since they get paid 3-5 times what the Pilipino Teachers get paid (depending on experience and Teaching Certificates), many tend to use them for Group Classes.

I managed to get a 'Seasonal' Job for Winter English Camp, without any previous Teaching Experience, nor any Certification. This was 5 days a week, with 8 x 50 min Classes/day. I received Php30K cash, for 5 weeks work.

I did read that Native English Teachers are exempt the need for Alien Employment Permit. The English School would confrim this, or arrange any required Alien Employment Permit (AEP). I am Permanenet Resident, and thus exempt the need to obtain AEP, but would need an Alien Employment Registration Certificate (AERC) once given the Offer Letter or Contract'

The real problem is finding such Job Vacancies - they tend to not be advertised via http://www.tefl.com/jobs/search.html China is where most of the jobs for Native English Teachers, age 22-36 with 2+ Years Teaching Experience and CELTA / TEFL will not have much of a problem finding a job in China.

Just 5 weeks Teaching Experience, no Certifacation, and 57 years old, is more problematic - will have to get TESOL or TEFL Certificate at least! Then might work on getting CELTA

Native English Teachers in Korea may be replaced by Robots controlled by English Teachers in the Philippines!

http://tokyotek.com/...glish-teachers/

If you enjoy teaching and not worried about the pay, see http://www.visayans.org/teach-english-in-rural-schools

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
SkyMan

A Canadian friend of mine is an English teacher, eh? His wife is Filipina and they were in SoKor a couple years and then moved to Qatar for a few years. I met him hear in Cebu when the contract ran out in Qatar and he was on an extended vacation and (not really seriously) looking for a job here. He did a little looking but wasn't able to find anything close to what he considered a reasonable salary. He's been Saudi the last 8 months or so and has finally secured visas for his family to join him but since he's ready for a break he's coming back, maybe next month. I don't know if he plans to return to Saudi with them or move on to something else. I think he'd have stayed here if there was anything close to what he considered decent wages.

Panzertotem

To put it bluntly.

During the interview to obtain a 9G work visa a couple weeks ago at the immigration office in Mandaue the immigration attorney looks at me square in the eyes and says, "What can you do that a Filipino can't do?" Feeling a bit self conscious and backed into a corner I simply stood up and pulled down my pants.

Hehe I didn't pull down my pants but I should have...

They don't like us here, regardless what you will ever think.

tokyoman

But what is to stop you teaching English online through skype say and living in Cebu?

I know that there are schools in Japan that hire teachers for telephone lessons etc

You would earn in an hour what they pay Fillipino teachers here to do in a day

Another option is to start your own school and be the "face" of that school promoting it in Japan and Korea

But what is to stop you teaching English online through skype say and living in Cebu?

I know that there are schools in Japan that hire teachers for telephone lessons etc

You would earn in an hour what they pay Fillipino teachers here to do in a day

Another option is to start your own school and be the "face" of that school promoting it in Japan and Korea

Very true! There are lots of people that offer this kind of thing. Just need to search on Internet.

I seem to remember you could expect about 7USD an hour, though maybe Im wrong.

trouble is getting a client list established - so it does require a certain entrepreneurial flair!

but i would have thought if you can find a host country where you speak the language and "help" people to do their homework, explain the lessons, etc you could get going pretty quickly!

Edited by sperry
For Real

You can earn 10,000 PHP+/week (Pinoy's earn 2000+/week) in cash payments as a native speaker in the holiday seasons but its not legal for everyone. You could also work online (Skype) doing conversational English & be paid cash as well but it is not necessary legal and will not make you rich. if your bag is ESL its better to do so out of the country - more money & less chance of being locked up. Korean's & Japanese come to Cebu because it's cheaper than other places.

consider Vietnam. the pay scale is much better. I know of several guys stayed in Vung Tau on the beach, a beautiful very modern city where everything actually works right. Very little requirements to get started. Need to be on the ground there first tho. Then check for schools, private businesses offering english courses

• Like 1
KennyF

>>> US citizen, male, single, with a university degree and

>>> 2 internationally recognized English teaching certificates

>>> a TEFL from Bridge Institute in the US, and a CELTA from

>>> University of Cambridge in England, plus 2 years of English teaching experience,

With those credentials you could write your own ticket in Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville.

You'd also live cheaper and cleaner that you ever will in RP.

And it's all legal. Business visa and work permit are there for the asking

and with those you can even start your own business,

No more visa runs.

KonGC

Cyrus2Ray

Sorry to say, the Philippine Gov't does not legally allow any foreign teachers to teach anything in the Philippines except under special circumstances, reason being that they have many thousands of their own teachers struggling to find teaching jobs.

I wish I could once again find the online article that clearly stated, with bright yellow highlight, that the government in the Philippines does not grant work permits to foreigners to work as English teachers, but I just can not find it again !

Another question :

How about doing an online business for someone who is living in the Philippines on an extended tourist visa ? Is that legal in the Philippines ? or does that need a special permit too ?

The reason I ask this is because I have found out that in Thailand, for example, it is NOT legal to operate an online business of any sort if you are living there as a retiree or on a student visa.

Although, I believe many retirees and others on various types of visas living in Thailand may be having an online business of some sort to create some extra income, by law, by definition, all such activities are illegal from the immigration's point of view, and that the person is only allowed to live and spend money, not earn money, if on a retirement visa.

How is the situation in the Philippines regarding the above situation ?

Cyrus2Ray

Would a person need a "Work Permit" in the Philippines - if living in the Philippines on an extended Tourist Visa for example - to do online teaching of the English language to students anywhere in the world ?

How about a need for a "Work Permit" for any other type of online business ? such as online trading in the Stock Market and such ?? if one is living in the Philippines on an extended Tourist Visa.

Again, I ask this question because I have read online that one could stay in the Philippines continuously for up to a year and a half on a Tourist visa if extended every 90 days, and so I wonder if doing an online business or trade during that time would be legal or it would require a special permit.

Cyrus2Ray

>>> US citizen, male, single, with a university degree and

>>> 2 internationally recognized English teaching certificates

>>> a TEFL from Bridge Institute in the US, and a CELTA from

>>> University of Cambridge in England, plus 2 years of English teaching experience,

With those credentials you could write your own ticket in Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville.

You'd also live cheaper and cleaner that you ever will in RP.

And it's all legal. Business visa and work permit are there for the asking

and with those you can even start your own business,

No more visa runs.

KonGC

hhmmm.. something to think about ! ... Thank you.

I will check out the Cambodia Forums as well.