TRICARE: We are in DEEP Trouble

afmayer

Headshot, I agree with your analysis. ...and in 7 months, I am supposed to start paying $115 per month for the "privilege" of being able to pay whatever fees Tricare decides to charge, as well. I am trying to work out the cost/benefit figures, but right now, its not looking good for the "Tricare for Life" program.

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and perhaps better) to find your own personal health insurance? $115 per month is more than you would pay for individual health insurance in the phils, right?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• RetiredNavyGuy

• SkyMan

• highwinder

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smokey, I just told you the one thing you can say to the guards that will get you into the US citizen services area every time. If you don't want to use it, that's just fine with me. I guess it's a lo

"....that's the way it is" As long as you are in the U.S.. Medicare doesn't pay squat overseas. Yet we have to have it to be eligible for Tricare which doesn't pay, as for as I can tell, anything eith

Greetings! I can understand Cebu Doctors being removed. i was admitted there about 2 years ago for an angeoplastie. My cardo doctor came from the Chongwa groupe. He was just great, but the things the

JSL-USMC

The worst of it starts in 2013. Obama wants to be re elected before the drastic cuts in our Health Care. "The FY 2013 budget proposes significantly increasing health care fees for military retirees" This from MOAA magazine, April edition Pg 33. Tricare standard would start paying an enrollment fee...plus, the deductible would increase every year.

Tricare For Life would start paying an enrollment fee also in addition to the medicare part B. That fee would be graduated based on retired-pay amount.

The Medicare Part B is the single worst screwing that retirees get...over 65 for those living abroad.

This issue also has an article on "means testing", Pay according to your rank. pg 36. No other group will be means tested,

I'm sure that other military associations have articles about this too. I will leave my issue of MOAA at the RAO .

Headshot

Wouldn't it be cheaper (and perhaps better) to find your own personal health insurance? $115 per month is more than you would pay for individual health insurance in the phils, right?

That is certainly an option people should explore, but like I said, once you make the decision to decline Medicare Part B, you can't go back and change your mind...ever. Therefore, if you move back to the US at some point (for any reason), you will be totally screwed...because it isn't likely you would find a decent health insurance policy for that money anyplace in the US. My crystal ball isn't really very good, so I try to keep my options open.

Wombat No More

Greetings! I can understand Cebu Doctors being removed. i was admitted there about 2 years ago for an angeoplastie. My cardo doctor came from the Chongwa groupe. He was just great, but the things the CD pulled were not. Treating my diabetic condition when not authroized to, and doing a very bad job of it. They did not know how to do a blood test properly with a meter, I had to teach them. Leaving the urin bag drain open, and then taking three times to clean it up over a two day perioud. Using the fire escape stairs as storage. Feeding me potatos and bacon when on a low calire dieat. Spreading my medication out over a three hour perioud instead of all at once as prescribed.

CD and their sister Mactan Doctors are only intrested in thge money. Their doctors have NO compassion for "foringen" patients, constently complaning about how "WE" are getting such a good deal from them, and poor them have to treat us for such a low price! AVOID the CD and MD at all cost. Go to Chongwa if you want proper treatment.

I was admitted to Cebu Docs about 6 years ago and I have diabetes but very well under control through diet and tablets, I don't look like going onto insulin just yet for a while, maybe forever?

Anyway, I was there for other stuff and they were taking a diabetes blood reading now and then after me telling them I was diabetic... and at mid morning one day, and 20 minutes or so after I had eaten 2 slices of pizza my wife brought in, they came in to take a blood sugar reading. Told em it was a waste of time coz it will be quite high as I ate pizza shortly before. They insisted; as expected the reading was high and I said it will be fine by lunch time, I know my diabetes. Four hours later (!!!), and about 2.5 after lunch, they came in with medication to put in my drip feed. Just in time I saw the writing on this quite large needle, with a lot of fluid within... It said "INSULIN"... WTF, "what the hell are you doing, get the hell away from me with that I yelled at the 3 nurses attending"... "But doctor ordered this coz of your sugar being much too high" one said... "Tell the doctor she is a friggin idiot from me will ya".. "Wait, I will test my sugar now"... It was just under 4, (a little lower than I expected) a low reading in the normal sugar range (3.5 to 6.9). The insulin would most assuredly, have put me into a diabetic coma and by the time I was next checked on I would quite probably have been gone... The lot of them, fecking idiots and real real dangerous....

• Like 1
dennis1105

That is certainly an option people should explore, but like I said, once you make the decision to decline Medicare Part B, you can't go back and change your mind...ever. Therefore, if you move back to the US at some point (for any reason), you will be totally screwed...because it isn't likely you would find a decent health insurance policy for that money anyplace in the US. My crystal ball isn't really very good, so I try to keep my options open.

It's my understanding that you can decline Part B and re-instate it later if you want to but, you will have to pay a 10% premium penalty. That's according to the Medicare.gov site. Remember, if you decline Part B(doctor visits, etc), you still are enrolled in Part A(Hospitalization, etc) of Medicare automatically because it's free. I don't know how this affects military retirees but for regular retirees like me that's the way it is.

Dennis

JSL-USMC

"....that's the way it is" As long as you are in the U.S.. Medicare doesn't pay squat overseas. Yet we have to have it to be eligible for Tricare which doesn't pay, as for as I can tell, anything either. For a good discription of this read read Joseph Heller's "Catch 22"

• Like 2
Headshot

It's my understanding that you can decline Part B and re-instate it later if you want to but, you will have to pay a 10% premium penalty. That's according to the Medicare.gov site. Remember, if you decline Part B(doctor visits, etc), you still are enrolled in Part A(Hospitalization, etc) of Medicare automatically because it's free. I don't know how this affects military retirees but for regular retirees like me that's the way it is.

Dennis

You are correct. What you cannot reinstate is your TRICARE coverage, so if you want to just be covered by Medicare Part A and B if you go to the US, then go right ahead and decline Medicare Part B. It will take you (and your family) off TRICARE permanently. Living in the Philippines, neither Medicare plan will cover anything, but like I said, if I (or my wife and daughter) has anything major wrong, we will go to the US for treatment. If you no longer have TRICARE, that option goes away and your family isn't covered by Medicare at all, so you are stuck with the treatment you can get in the Philippines. There is no way I would put my family in that position.

RetiredNavyGuy

I read the following in the "Live and Invest Overseas" newsletter this morning. I have not vetted it, but somehow [without getting into politics] I would not be surprised if it is true, especially for those who started on Social Security before the mandatory age 65 for Medicare, Part B. However, it is another variable in puzzle, especially for those who are considering Tricare for Life, which requires Medicare Part B anyway. The publisher of this newsletter is Katheleen Peddicord, who now lives in Panama, and used to be one of the publishers of International Living. ...not advertizing competitors, but some people on here are obsessive about citations.

"Kathleen, Medicare is automatically deducted from Social Security. How is this handled when living in Panama?"

--Terry R., United States

Unfortunately, the U.S. government has the two, Medicare and Social Security, tied together. If you opt-out of Medicare, then the U.S. government will stop sending you Social Security payments. A group is fighting this as it is illegal, but, for now, this is the reality. One reasonable option would be to invest in local health insurance wherever you're living but keep Medicare, as well, for emergencies. This would mean returning to the United States for medical care, but, again, could be a very reasonable strategy.

Edited by RetiredNavyGuy
  • 3 weeks later...
Headshot

On a related note...I was in Ultimatecare today and got good news. International SOS has performed its recertification inspection of Ultimatecare and its member doctors and found no problems. The are recommending that Tricare recertifies the Ultimatecare organization. Hopefully, within a few weeks, this nightmare will be over, and we will have a participating provider in Cebu again. When does the next certified provider list come out? Does anybody know?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, that's fun. I can't file the claim for my daughter's birth from last August (at CDUH) until she is enrolled in DEERS in May, and now they have decertified the hospital? Let's see now...when Tricare was here a couple of months ago, they said they were going to make things better for us. Is this what they were talking about? What a bunch of lunatics they have running the Tricare program. BTW...it is SOS International (the Tricare contractor that "serves" the Philippines) that decertifies providers here...not Tricare themselves. Well, this will delay my payment, but according to Tricare, if you get services from a decertified provider, then Tricare will pay the claims as soon as the provider is recertified. This is fricking ridiculous.

But, you don't have a problem - generally the bills incurred when the provider was CERTIFIED - predating the decert. - are not cancelled or delayed. Only prblem will be for services provided during the eperiod of decert!

Headshot

But, you don't have a problem - generally the bills incurred when the provider was CERTIFIED - predating the decert. - are not cancelled or delayed. Only prblem will be for services provided during the eperiod of decert!

Well...we will see. They have the claim now. I guess I will find what they will really honor and what they just say they will honor. I have heard since then that my claims will likely have the effect of getting the providers recertified, since they were decertified because of a lack of claims.

• 1 year later...
lokias

Since this is a pinned topic I figured better to ask for updated information instead of starting a new topic.

How is the Tricare service in Cebu or anywhere in the Philippines now?

Have more hospitals been added or removed?

Are there any areas in RP that are better for Tricare support?

Is it better to just forget Tricare/VA and just get local insurance?

Or are people better off making trips to Siquijor to see the local witch Doctor?

• 2 months later...
smokey

Well, that's fun. I can't file the claim for my daughter's birth from last August (at CDUH) until she is enrolled in DEERS in May, and now they have decertified the hospital? Let's see now...when Tricare was here a couple of months ago, they said they were going to make things better for us. Is this what they were talking about? What a bunch of lunatics they have running the Tricare program. BTW...it is SOS International (the Tricare contractor that "serves" the Philippines) that decertifies providers here...not Tricare themselves. Well, this will delay my payment, but according to Tricare, if you get services from a decertified provider, then Tricare will pay the claims as soon as the provider is recertified. This is fricking ridiculous.

maybe you have not noticed but the embassy is NOT run by Americans but seems to be subcontracted to someone else  hence the reason its so hard for an american to get in the front door of the embassy guess they sub out everything here ., Last time i went to the embassy i wanted to go inside to get some forms the guard would not let me  as i needed an appointment so i asked to speak to someone in charge and another guard came out and asked me what and why i needed to get in and i told him and he said... Sir  YOU CAN DO THAT ON LINE SIR AND WALKED AWAY ,  my wife spoke and whalla he gave me a paper with a phone number to call but NO going in side.. In my mind the embassy is worthless and only on tv and movies is it a place to get help if you need it..

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1