Sign in to follow this  
Mailman

Walk-in services available at US Consular Office in Cebu

USMC-Retired

Jason I think it was just a general statement. He quoted you but did not mean to single you out. John is a good guy and does help many people. If you are ever there you will see the flood of jerks that come into the place. Never ever knowing John does not get paid for his service. Yes it can be a pain there but its a million times better then going to Manila for every thing. So the Cebu expats get a little protective of this situtation. Because if he leaves so does the consulate.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mikala

Because if he leaves so does the consulate.

Anybody ever consider volunteering to help John with his work there? If John retires (or has medical problems), perhaps some retired LinC member would consider volunteering to take over the job?

The one time I was there, John was very polite and professional. I could find no problems to complain about and the waiting area was quite comfortable with a library to browse.

USMC-Retired

You have to pass the test and background check...

Mikala

I'm sure I could pass the background check, but if it's a urine test, I might have to study-up.

That being said, I'm not available for at least several years. I tend to volunteer for a lot of things though. Back home in Hawaii, I volunteered for every charity event on the island while teaching robotics in my spare time at 3 schools. I like to keep busy. Of course that was while I worked 60-70 hours a week at the local utility.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

What test?

I assume if you had a secret or higher clearance in the military, that a background check would be no problem.

When I was there last year there were three people working behind the counter. I think one was Filipino.

Sent from Note 3

Edited by Salty Dog

Jason S

If you are ever there you will see the flood of jerks that come into the place

Oh, I met one the day I was there and he was right outside waiting with the rest of us. He was trying to include me in his conversation but I ignored him. Even when we went inside he was rude, obnoxious and loud. Who acts like this in an official government office? lol. I was going to tell him to shut the hell up but I didn't want to start drama and get kicked out of there. 

The Consular's Office took care of me in quick order and I was on my way. 

Jason S

Anybody ever consider volunteering to help John with his work there? If John retires (or has medical problems), perhaps some retired LinC member would consider volunteering to take over the job?

The one time I was there, John was very polite and professional. I could find no problems to complain about and the waiting area was quite comfortable with a library to browse.

I am assuming Jhon is the older white gentlemen that works there that stamps off on all the paperwork? I didn't interact with him but for two minutes and he seemed like a nice guy. I am surprised the ex-military people that live in Cebu don't volunteer to work there, especially if they are traditionally retired because most would have had some type of security clearance in the military. If I lived there and stayed here on a permanent basis I would consider volunteering. Just think of the wealth of knowledge that guy has from working there.

Mikala
Just think of the wealth of knowledge that guy has from working there.

Plus all the interesting people you'd get to meet! And you'd be in an aircon workplace! Free library too!

I'll volunteer to work there if I live long enough to retire. Next year I start a gig in the UAE that might earn me a bullet.

I'm only guessing that it was John that was the older white gentleman (looked Hispanic). See photo below.

John Domingo.jpg

Edited by Mikala

Paul

That's him. 

While I do appreciate what he does in that office, I have no lost love for John Domingo. Trust me, if you have issues with the Philippine government, he will NOT help you, unless you are a buddy of his. I know this from personal experience while at the Bureau of Immigration in Mandaue, back in 2006.

It's all in who you know, right? 

enoonmai

You may want to verify that with the US Consular Agency. It used to be that they would only accept phone calls between 7a and 9a. From 9a to 11a was for walk in traffic only.

Could be, I got that information from an operator who finally answered but, who knows, it could have been the Waterfront Hotel operator. Maybe they share the PBX. She said they answer "when they can". I called many times at different hours, mainly because Mr Domingo said I should call first before coming. That was the only time anyone answered.

Paul

Could be, I got that information from an operator who finally answered but, who knows, it could have been the Waterfront Hotel operator. Maybe they share the PBX. She said they answer "when they can". I called many times at different hours, mainly because Mr Domingo said I should call first before coming. That was the only time anyone answered.

I wouldn't worry about calling first. Just be there well before 9am. If in a rush and want to be in and out faster, be there fairly early as the line grows fast, sometimes. Make sure it is not a US or Philippine holiday.

Monsoon

That would be logical and economical. We can't have any of that in government.

With the appointment system the way it is in Manila I may just fly down to Cebu with the fam to so a CRBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big RB

Am I to understand that the US Counselate in Cebu is at the Waterfront Hotel? And that I can renew my 9 year old son's, and 6 year old daughter's passports there? What if one has recently expired? As for telephones and government websites, I prefer to just walk-in. But could someone post a link in the Embassy website.

Salty Dog

Am I to understand that the US Counselate in Cebu is at the Waterfront Hotel? And that I can renew my 9 year old son's, and 6 year old daughter's passports there? What if one has recently expired? As for telephones and government websites, I prefer to just walk-in. But could someone post a link in the Embassy website.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/71104-cebu-consular-offices-closing-may-9-thru-may-30-usa/?p=814711

• Like 1

Headshot

Yes, you understand correctly. Just walk in between 0900 and 1100 hours on normal week days. You will need to take your children with you. Have their passports, and have current pictures with you that are the same size as is in their current passports. They have the applications there at the consular office for renewing the passports. The consul will send the applications in to have new passports made (they are made at the State Department). I doubt their will be any problem with a recently expired passport. There is nothing that says you must keep passports current. If there is any question that your child still looks like the child in their previous passport picture, take pictures of them growing up with you, so it can be shown that the child in the previous passport picture has grown into the child you take in with you. You can check the embassy website to see if I missed any requirements.

• Like 1