Sign in to follow this  
Mailman

Walk-in services available at US Consular Office in Cebu

Paul
Yeah, that seemed a bit silly too. In my case (and if Manila was the only option for this task), it would alleviate my wife from a three-hour bus ride to Tacloban and a flight to Manila. A two-hour ferry to Cebu is still a hassle but far less of one as it only requires a two-hour ferry. If we can get this done in Cebu, then that is what we are doing. :)

LOL You guys are information overkill. I just needed to know if this task can be accomplished as a "walk-in" at that particular office. I am well aware of all the requirements.

It's okay though, I appreciate it. And I am certain that the information may be useful for future readers who may be looking for it. :)

Short answer - Yes, at the US Consular Agency in Cebu City.

----------

Hey, after you ring them in the morning, please post and let us know. That is, whether or not they answered the phone between 8am and 9am.

Edited by Paul

SkyMan

So, you can get the CRBA and passport at the same time. What about a SSAN? Can that be obtained overseas or do you have to get an ITIN and the SSAN when/if you get to the US.

Headshot

So, you can get the CRBA and passport at the same time. What about a SSAN? Can that be obtained overseas or do you have to get an ITIN and the SSAN when/if you get to the US.

You can apply for a SSN (for a child ONLY) through the US Consular Services office as well. They have application forms there and you can get a form from John's assistant, fill it out, and turn it back in. Then you wait for your name to be called and sign the form in front of John. If I remember correctly, I didn't even have to have my wife and daughter along for that one. All I needed was originals and copies of the CRBA, either a Philippine or US passport for the baby, my passport, and my wife's passport. It was pretty simple.

If you belong to RAO, be sure you put that address down in the application because they mail the card to you through the US Mail (and PhilPost if you use a local address). I put my local address on the application and have not received the SSN card. However, I was able to call the SSA at the Embassy in Manila, and they had my daughter's SSN, so I had them send me the SSN (through the Cebu Consulate) so I could use it on my taxes and so I could get her enrolled in DEERS. If the card for my daughter never comes, I will have to send in an application to replace a lost or stolen card, which is a whole other process.

Edited by Headshot

Headshot

As an update, My daughter's SSN never came through PhilPost. Since SSA in San Francisco sent it regular mail, PhilPost wasn't required to track it, so it never made it. The good news was that after PhilPost told me it was lost, I went back to the Consular Services Office, and submitted another form. To this, I attached a sheet of paper where I detailed what had happened to the original card. On the new application form, I put my RAO (FPO) address, and two weeks after I gave John Domingo the form, my daughter's SSN card arrived at the RAO. It was a very fast turn-around. I should have put this update in the topic back when it was fresh, but I forgot to do so. Just a reminder, if you are a member of RAO (retired US military), be sure to put that address on any correspondence going to SSA if you actually want to get it. PhilPost should not be trusted with any important documents, and SSA sends things through regular mail.

• Like 1

blimp

As an update, My daughter's SSN never came through PhilPost. Since SSA in San Francisco sent it regular mail, PhilPost wasn't required to track it, so it never made it. The good news was that after PhilPost told me it was lost, I went back to the Consular Services Office, and submitted another form. To this, I attached a sheet of paper where I detailed what had happened to the original card. On the new application form, I put my RAO (FPO) address, and two weeks after I gave John Domingo the form, my daughter's SSN card arrived at the RAO. It was a very fast turn-around. I should have put this update in the topic back when it was fresh, but I forgot to do so. Just a reminder, if you are a member of RAO (retired US military), be sure to put that address on any correspondence going to SSA if you actually want to get it. PhilPost should not be trusted with any important documents, and SSA sends things through regular mail.

Good advice. I think I might be in the same boat. I fear my son's SSN card fell in black hole. Incidentally, I planned on going to apply for RAO membership tomorrow.

SkyMan

For anything outside the RP I almost never use anything but the RAO address. Just ask yourself, "Does this person/organization need to know where I physically reside?" The answer is almost never yes.

• Like 1

Headshot

Good advice. I think I might be in the same boat. I fear my son's SSN card fell in black hole. Incidentally, I planned on going to apply for RAO membership tomorrow.

You can call the Social Security desk at the US Embassy in Manila, and they can send your son's SSN by email to the US Consul in Cebu (John Domingo). John can then give it to you when you show your passport and your son's birth certificate. You don't actually need the card to get him enrolled in DEERS. However, it is important to get the card replaced, so get your RAO membership and get the process started again (as a lost card) with a good address.

Edited by Headshot

blimp

You can call the Social Security desk at the US Embassy in Manila, and they can send your son's SSN by email to the US Consul in Cebu (John Domingo). John can then give it to you when you show your passport and your son's birth certificate. You don't actually need the card to get him enrolled in DEERS. However, it is important to get the card replaced, so get your RAO membership and get the process started again (as a lost card) with a good address.

I will become an RAO member today and re-submit my son's SSN application Monday. I already called the SSN desk and they did send my son's SSN number to the Consul in Cebu, so at least I have his SSN. Thanks.

Edited by blimp

enoonmai

Has anyone been able to get through by phone and talk to anyone at the consulate recently? I've been calling for 2 days between 9am-11am (now) and just get a VERY long recording saying to call the embassy. I'm 2 hours away and need to check if a passport is there. Calling 032  2311261. Thanks.

Jawny

enoonmai

did you ever get a response/answer to your query? I am in a similar situation, living in Leyte.  I wanted to know if they will be open on the 8th of April for regular business.  The 9th is a holiday and it is not uncommon for government offices to make four day weekends out of these holidays.  

I just want to spare myself having to make two trips for five people from leyte.

I tried contact the American Citizens services office in Manila but they gave me the same phone number and left it to me to call.  I had assumed wrongly they would know the office hours.

Jason S

Has anyone been able to get through by phone and talk to anyone at the consulate recently? I've been calling for 2 days between 9am-11am (now) and just get a VERY long recording saying to call the embassy. I'm 2 hours away and need to check if a passport is there. Calling 032  2311261. Thanks.

I am here in Cebu right now for the second time in a week and a half and got in the consulate today and got some paperwork done. I asked the guy why no one answers the phone and he told me the best time to call was between 10-11 because between 9-10 they are usually busy assisting people with their needs. I was getting irritated to no end because I kept calling and calling but no one would ever answer the phone and I live in Mindanao so I just bit the bullet and flew over here. Granted, I had to come back twice with-in a short period of time to get my paperwork completed but I got it done. 

Headshot

I am here in Cebu right now for the second time in a week and a half and got in the consulate today and got some paperwork done. I asked the guy why no one answers the phone and he told me the best time to call was between 10-11 because between 9-10 they are usually busy assisting people with their needs. I was getting irritated to no end because I kept calling and calling but no one would ever answer the phone and I live in Mindanao so I just bit the bullet and flew over here. Granted, I had to come back twice with-in a short period of time to get my paperwork completed but I got it done. 

Just remember that John Domingo is a volunteer US Consul. Without him, we would have to go all the way to Manila to get anything done. He is retired, and he does this for us. He gets no actual pay for his work. Please...treat him with respect. Anybody who complains about the Consular Agency's hours or phone answering should remember that.

• Like 3

enoonmai

enoonmai   did you ever get a response/answer to your query?

Sorry, I just saw this from a year ago. I don't read this forum every day so best to reply directly to the post so there's a notification. To answer, no one ever answered the phone so I went in and it was there. I was told they only answer between 9-11am Mon-Fri, if that.

Paul

Sorry, I just saw this from a year ago. I don't read this forum every day so best to reply directly to the post so there's a notification. To answer, no one ever answered the phone so I went in and it was there. I was told they only answer between 9-11am Mon-Fri, if that.

You may want to verify that with the US Consular Agency. It used to be that they would only accept phone calls between 7a and 9a. From 9a to 11a was for walk in traffic only. 

Jason S

Just remember that John Domingo is a volunteer US Consul. Without him, we would have to go all the way to Manila to get anything done. He is retired, and he does this for us. He gets no actual pay for his work. Please...treat him with respect. Anybody who complains about the Consular Agency's hours or phone answering should remember that.

Who is disrespecting John Domingo? I am not disrespecting anyone! I don't even know the guy.  I only went to Cebu instead of Manila because I wanted to see some people there. Silly me for thinking the United States Consular Office in Cebu was an official Government Office and operated accordingly. If I would have known in advance that the U.S. Consular Office in Cebu was a fly by night operation I would have went to Manila in the first place. Those of us that do not live on Cebu have to make travel plans and make other arrangements and spend money so we can get official business taken care of. We do not have the luxury walking out of our front door and hopping in a taxi and swinging by the Watergate hotel, to see if the office is open, on our way to starbucks. 

Kudos for John Domingo for doing what he does! He is a patriot for doing so, but if I have the need to get anymore official business done I will make an appointment online and just go to Manila and deal with that rat race.

• Like 1