Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Philippine Passport for wife

Salty Dog

In order to change to the married name on the passport you must get the CFO sticker, at least in Cebu. They have moved to somewhere around the Capital and they have an online registration in Cebu but you are still required to be there at 8am to register even though the seminar is 2pm-5pm. My wife went yesterday and sat through the whole thing then was told at the 1-on-1 that she was denied because she didn't have my Affidavit in Lieu of Legal Capacity document from the Consulate. We turned all that in to the city clerk where we were married, I don't have a copy. We're going to check with the clerk's office to see if they have a copy, if not I don't know. Go back to the Consulate? Anyone know?

Typical BS. What the hell does that prove? They look for something to be wrong. My wife didn't have one but she called me late afternoon because they said they had to see my passport, WTF. So I rushed down there and they made a copy of it.

As far as I know you can't get the stamp without a Visa. She will get the certificate which use to be all they needed.

Jack_be_nimble

In order to change to the married name on the passport you must get the CFO sticker, at least in Cebu. They have moved to somewhere around the Capital and they have an online registration in Cebu but you are still required to be there at 8am to register even though the seminar is 2pm-5pm. My wife went yesterday and sat through the whole thing then was told at the 1-on-1 that she was denied because she didn't have my Affidavit in Lieu of Legal Capacity document from the Consulate. We turned all that in to the city clerk where we were married, I don't have a copy. We're going to check with the clerk's office to see if they have a copy, if not I don't know. Go back to the Consulate? Anyone know?

She doesn't have a passport yet. It will be her 1st. (with my/our last name).  Maybe it's the same requirement, yes, no?

shadow

Attendance of the CFO seminar has been a requirement to get a passport for fiance and spouses of foreign citizens for over 10 years. It was always sporadically enforced, and still it is possible to get the passport without taking the CFO seminar. The CFO seminar and CFO sticker are two different things. One must attend the seminar, they will be given a certificate of attendance. After one gets a visa, they will return to the CFO with the visa/passport and the certificate of attendance, and a sticker will be placed in their passport. No certificate of attendance = no sticker = not allowed to leave the country on any kind of immigrant or work visa.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

• Like 3

Jack_be_nimble

After one gets a visa, they will return to the CFO with the visa/passport and the certificate of attendance, and a sticker will be placed in their passport. No certificate of attendance = no sticker = not allowed to leave the country on any kind of immigrant or work visa. I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

It clears up some of it.  So, to get passport for filipina wife, who's never had one before, and get it in her married surname (foreigner husband name) she will need the CFO seminar cert.  If she will work or imgrate abroad, she will need the sticker.

But, if only for vacation to, say, Hong Kong or someplace with auto - a few days visa, only the seminar cert is required????

SkyMan

My wife did the CFO about 3 years ago? maybe 4 now.  Last year we went to their office with passport and cert and tried to get the stamp as it would be easier than carrying the cert around.  No dice.  Flat out refused saying the stamp was for OFWs.   The cert says it's good for travel to the US and I asked what if we want to go somewhere else?  They said immigration knows the rules, it's ok.  They can call us if there's a problem.  Ok, yeah, right.

Anyone gotten a stamp in their passport?  I'd really just rather have that as one less thing to lose.  I'll try again when she renews her pp.

cebubird

My wife's passport has the certificate, plus the stamp.

ozboy

• What are the requirements for a Filipino citizen to travel abroad?

At a minimum, a traveler intending to go abroad shall be required to present a passport valid for at least six (6) months, visa when required and a round trip ticket during the primary inspection.

• What are the instances when additional requirements shall be required?

Pursuant to the “Guidelines on Departure Formalities for International-Bound Passengers in All Airports and Seaports in the Countryâ€, a traveler will be subjected to a secondary inspection, when deemed necessary, for the purpose of protecting vulnerable victims of human trafficking, illegal recruitment and other related offenses. As such, Immigration Officers (IOs) are allowed to propound clarificatory questions relating to any documents presented or the purpose of travel. Based on answers provided, the traveler will be given a list of additional requirements to support his alleged purpose of travel.

The circumstances that may be assessed and the basis of additional supporting documents may include, but not limited to the following:

1. Age
  2. Educational Attainment
  3. Financial capability to travel

If not financially capable to travel, an authenticated Affidavit of Support or Letter of Invitation, indicating therein the relationship within the 4th civil degree of consanguinity or affinity, together with the supporting documents may be entertained; and

Affidavit of Undertaking/Guaranty may likewise be entertained.

The determination of the sufficiency of travel documents in relation to the purpose of travel rest upon the IO who will be conducting the primary and secondary inspection based on the totality of circumstances and statements/declarations of the passenger.

• What are the travel requirements for a Filipino minor who is traveling alone?

For minor traveling alone, a Travel Clearance must be secured from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and should be presented to the immigration officer prior to departure.

A Travel Clearance may be secured by the following:

1. Minor traveling alone to a foreign country;
  2. Minor traveling to a foreign country accompanied by a person other than his/her parents;
  3. Minor who is a subject of an ongoing custody battle between parents will not be issued a Travel Clearance unless a Court Order is provided stating that the child is allowed to travel abroad with either one of his/her parents or authorized guardian.

• Are there exceptions to the requirements of a Travel Clearance?

Yes.

• Under special circumstances where a minor’s parents are in the Philippine Foreign Service or members of the diplomatic corps or living abroad as immigrants provided s/he possesses a proof that s/he is living with his/her parents abroad and the intended travel does not constitute child trafficking;
    • A minor traveling to a foreign country with both or either parents or with his/her legal guardian;
    • In cases of illegitimate children, if they will be traveling with the mother, they are not required to secure a travel clearance from the DSWD.

• I am an overseas Filipino worker (OFW), what are the requirements to depart the Philippines?

Aside from the passport (at least 6 months valid), visa and contract, an OFW must also present a Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) before the concerned immigration counter. Otherwise, they shall not be cleared for departure.

• What are the requirements for Filipino emigrants?

As required by the Commission on Filipino Overseas (CFO), Filipino emigrants are required to:

• Register with CFO;
    • Attend in the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) to prepare them for settlement overseas;

Children of emigrants aged 12 years and below are exempted from attending the PDOS but should still be registered.

Children of emigrants aged 13 years and above are required to attend the Peer Counseling Program to help facilitate their adjustment to a new environment.

• Who are required to secure a Travel Authority?

The following persons are required to secure a Travel Authority from the Office of the President prior to travelling abroad:

1. Members of the Cabinet and officials of equivalent rank;
  2. Heads of the Government-Owned and Controlled Corporations (GOCCs ) and the Government Financing Institutions (GFIs) under or attached to the Office of the President for authority to travel abroad; and
  3. Heads of agencies under or attached to the Office of the President.

In case of GOCCs and GFIs attached to the Office of the President, their officials and employees shall seek approval from the heads of these GOCCs and GFIs.

Officials and employees of GOCCs and GFIs not attached to the Office of the President shall seek approval from the concerned Department to which they are attached.

The travel of Provincial Governors and Mayors of Highly Urbanized Cities or independent component cities shall seek approval from the Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Head of State Universities and Colleges shall seek approval from the Chairman of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), while all other officials and employees of such institutions shall seek approval from their respective heads.

Heads of Technical and Vocational Schools shall seek approval from the Chairman of the Technical Education and Skill Development Authority (TESDA), while all other officials and employees of such institutions shall seek approval from their respective heads.

Officials and employees of agencies under or attached of the Office of the President shall seek the approval from the head of these agencies.

Government officials and employees traveling abroad while on leave of absence need written Travel Authority from their respective department heads, except those with the rank of Assistant Secretary and above, who need Travel Clearance/approval from the Office of the President.

• I am a foreign national wanting to visit the Philippines, what are the requirements?

If you are a foreign national from a country with diplomatic ties or bilateral agreement with the Philippines, you are allowed to enter the country without securing an entry visa and will be given an initial stay of thirty (30) days provided that you are a holder of a passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond your contemplated stay in the Philippines and present a return or onward ticket.

Foreign nationals without bilateral agreement with the Philippines are required to secure an entry visa at any Philippine Foreign Service Post in their country of origin or place of legal residence prior to traveling to the Philippines. Furthermore, these nationals are required to possess a passport at least six (6) months beyond their contemplated stay in the Philippines and present a return or onward ticket.

1. Who can enter the Philippines without an entry visa?

The nationals of the countries below may enter the Philippines without a visa for not exceeding 30 days under Executive Order No. 408:

1. Andorra

2. Angola

3. Antigua and Barbuda

4. Argentina

5. Australia

6. Austria

7. Bahamas

8. Bahrain

9. Barbados

10. Belgium

11. Belize

12. Benin

13. Bhutan

14. Bolivia

15. Botswana

16. Brazil*

17. Brunei

18. Bulgaria

19. Burkina Faso

20. Burundi

21. Cambodia

22. Cameroon

23. Canada

24. Cape Verde

25. Central African Republic

26. Chad

27. Chile

28. Colombia

29. Comoros

30. Congo

31. Congo, Democratic Republic

32. Costa Rica

33. Cote d’Ivoire

34. Croatia

35. Cyprus

36. Czech Republic

37. Denmark

38. Djibouti

39. Dominica

40. Dominican Republic

41. Ecuador

42. El Salvador

43. Equatorial Guinea

44. Eritrea

45. Estonia

46. Ethiopia

47. Fiji

48. Finland

49. France

50. Gabon

51. Gambia

52. Germany

53. Ghana

54. Greece

55. Grenada

56. Guatemala

57. Guinea

58. Guinea-Bissau

59. Guyana

60. Haiti

61. Honduras

62. Hungary

63. Iceland

64. Indonesia

65. Ireland

66. Israel*

67. Italy

68. Jamaica

69. Japan

70. Kazakhstan

71. Kenya

72. Kiribati

73. Korea (ROK)

74. Kuwait

75. Kyrgyzstan

76. Laos

77. Latvia

78. Lesotho

79. Liberia

80. Liechtenstein

81. Lithuania

82. Luxembourg

83. Madagascar

84. Malawi

85. Malaysia

86. Maldives

87. Mali

88. Malta

89. Marshall Island

90. Mauritania

91. Mauritius

92. Mexico

93. Micronesia

94. Monaco

95. Mongolia

96. Morocco

97. Mozambique

98. Myanmar

99. Namibia

100. Nepal

101. Netherlands

102. New Zealand

103. Nicaragua

104. Niger

105. Norway

106. Oman

107. Palau

108. Panama

109. Papua New Guinea

110. Paraguay

111. Peru

112. Poland

113. Portugal

114. Qatar

115. Romania

116. Russia

117. Rwanda

118. St. Kitts and Nevis

119. Saint Lucia

120. St. Vincent and the Grenadines

121. Samoa

122. San Marino

123. Sao Tome and Principe

124. Saudi Arabia

125. Senegal

126. Seychelles

127. Singapore

128. Slovak Republic

129. Slovenia

130. Solomon Islands

131. South Africa

132. Spain

133. Suriname

134. Swaziland

135. Sweden

136. Switzerland

137. Tanzania

138. Tajikistan

139. Thailand

140. Togo

141. Trinidad and Tobago

142. Tunisia

143. Turkey

144. Turkmenistan

145. Tuvalu

146. Uganda

147. United Arab Emirates

148. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

149. United States of America

150. Uruguay

151. Uzbekistan

152. Vanuatu

153. Vatican

154. Venezuela

155. Viet Nam

156. Zambia

157. Zimbabwe

*Brazilian and Israeli nationals are given fifty-nine (59) days stay based on existing agreements.

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) official website is managed by the Management Information System Division (MISD).

All contents belong

shadow

My wife did the CFO about 3 years ago? maybe 4 now.  Last year we went to their office with passport and cert and tried to get the stamp as it would be easier than carrying the cert around.  No dice.  Flat out refused saying the stamp was for OFWs.   The cert says it's good for travel to the US and I asked what if we want to go somewhere else?  They said immigration knows the rules, it's ok.  They can call us if there's a problem.  Ok, yeah, right.

Anyone gotten a stamp in their passport?  I'd really just rather have that as one less thing to lose.  I'll try again when she renews her pp.

They have differing seminars, immigrant vs. foreign spouse vs OFW

• Like 1

shadow

It clears up some of it.  So, to get passport for filipina wife, who's never had one before, and get it in her married surname (foreigner husband name) she will need the CFO seminar cert.  If she will work or imgrate abroad, she will need the sticker.

But, if only for vacation to, say, Hong Kong or someplace with auto - a few days visa, only the seminar cert is required????

Correct, to visit certain countries as a tourist no CFO is required.

• Like 1

enoonmai

Attendance of the CFO seminar has been a requirement to get a passport for fiance and spouses of foreign citizens for over 10 years. It was always sporadically enforced, and still it is possible to get the passport without taking the CFO seminar. The CFO seminar and CFO sticker are two different things. One must attend the seminar, they will be given a certificate of attendance. After one gets a visa, they will return to the CFO with the visa/passport and the certificate of attendance, and a sticker will be placed in their passport. No certificate of attendance = no sticker = not allowed to leave the country on any kind of immigrant or work visa.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Right, I screwed up the terms, she needs the certificate to get the name changed on the existing passport. So my question is, since they are insisting on a copy of the Affidavit in Lieu and I turned it in 3 years ago when we were married what do you suggest if the clerk's office doesn't have a copy (which is likely) - going back to the Consulate and getting another? I think it's 50 bucks and they might not accept it because the marriage was 3 years ago. We've already gone to this place twice and it's a 2 hour trip each way.

shadow

Right, I screwed up the terms, she needs the certificate to get the name changed on the existing passport. So my question is, since they are insisting on a copy of the Affidavit in Lieu and I turned it in 3 years ago when we were married what do you suggest if the clerk's office doesn't have a copy (which is likely) - going back to the Consulate and getting another? I think it's 50 bucks and they might not accept it because the marriage was 3 years ago. We've already gone to this place twice and it's a 2 hour trip each way.

I've never heard of anyone being asked for affidavit in lieu. Who is asking for that? CFO? Would not surprise me, they make up new rules for some special applicants. I just love the wording on their website, in regards to requirements; "Other documents as may be required by counselor", meaning they can just make it up as they go...

• Like 2

Jack_be_nimble

I've never heard of anyone being asked for affidavit in lieu. Who is asking for that? CFO? Would not surprise me, they make up new rules for some special applicants. I just love the wording on their website, in regards to requirements; "Other documents as may be required by counselor", meaning they can just make it up as they go...

Yep. "Other documents as may be required by counselor"  That made me stop and think when I read the list on the CFO site.  In fact, I had asked for clarification of that statement in my email to them.  No reply yet.

shadow

Yep. "Other documents as may be required by counselor"  That made me stop and think when I read the list on the CFO site.  In fact, I had asked for clarification of that statement in my email to them.  No reply yet.

Years ago the CFO seminar was conducted by the nuns at St Mary's Euphraisa Foundation. We had a client with a young fiance. The client had a past including spousal abuse. They jacked this poor girl around for months, making her supply this, then that, then bring her Father from Bohol, then bring her MOTHER from Bohol (after already making her submit notarized letters of consent from them), complete court transcripts, tax returns, letter of employment from the US, everything they could possibly think of to try to convince this girl to change her mind. She made MANY trips to SMEF from Dumaguete, just to finally get the certificate. The cost of complying with all their demands ran into the thousands of dollars for this young couple.

SMEF is no longer doing the seminars, but as near as I can tell, things have not drastically improved. They can and do sometimes make life difficult. They especially target young girls with older spouses/fiances.

Don't hold your breathe for an enlightening reply.

• Like 2

Salty Dog

They have differing seminars, immigrant vs. foreign spouse vs OFW

Are you sure about that? My wife had foreign spouse and immigrant Filipina at her seminar. In fact hers was just for adding my last name for her Passport renewal. She used the same certificate when she desided to emigrate.

shadow

Are you sure about that? My wife had foreign spouse and immigrant Filipina at her seminar. In fact hers was just for adding my last name for her Passport renewal. She used the same certificate when she desided to emigrate.

Well, they have four differing schedules depending on what category they are in, and we have had OFWs who married Americans who were made to take a different (second) counseling session.

But as has already been established sometimes they make up their own rules as they go along, and it's possible immigration doesn't pay that close attention to WHICH CFO seminar was attended.

There are MANY variables in the immigration processes, and what one person's experience was is not necessarily always that of everyone else.

Edited by shadow