PLEASE tell me I can record TV

Rocketman

I fell in love with my DVR at home, being able to record the shows and sports that I wanted to watch, pause, rewind, etc. Now in Cebu and retired, I hear its not possible and no units like tivo are available to buy. I will be getting with our resident expert once my stuff gets here for the computer hookup, but wondered about not using the computer. Its nice that this is my biggest problem in life right now! ;-)

SkyMan

If you have a TV tuner card in your pc you should be able to record on the computer. Or you could bring a Tivo from the US. It won't be as easy to use as you're probably used to bringing up the programming menu and selecting what shows to record, but you should be able to go in manually and tell it to record from 5-6PM every Thurday or whatever. Just make sure it's plugged into 110V. I used to watch a lot of TV but now I haven't watched anything I didn't download myself in a couple years.

Edited by SkyMan
USMC-Retired

Just adding to Skyman he hits is right on the head

CDR king sells them for you computer. They are inexpensive at about 1200 pesos. Then you have recorded it on your computer. If it is a laptop or desktop it has a some sorta out port. If it VGA HDMI SVIEDO if you let me know what you have for out video out port and type of TV. I will let you know how to get it back to your TV.

Toshiba and Magnavox are really the only manufacturers of personal DVRs now. The Magnavox box is a hot item at Walmart in the states now. A TiVo won't really help you much here. It depends so much on it's subscription. Google "Toshiba DVR" and "Magnavox DVR" for more info. I have looked around and can find neither here in the Phils.. Perhaps HK or Singapore.

SkyMan

Toshiba and Magnavox are really the only manufacturers of personal DVRs now. The Magnavox box is a hot item at Walmart in the states now. A TiVo won't really help you much here. It depends so much on it's subscription. Google "Toshiba DVR" and "Magnavox DVR" for more info. I have looked around and can find neither here in the Phils.. Perhaps HK or Singapore.

Well, I was using Tivo as a generic DVR term but you're right, DVR is the more correct terminology. I brout my DirecTV DVR box but didn't watch enough TV to bother even hooking it up to see if it would work when I did have TV.

I should have said non-subsciption based personal DVRs.

I recently read that Skycable (ughhhh) was offering a TiVo-like box for subscribers for a monthly fee. I am not sure if it is available in Cebu.

Rocketman

Thanks for the feedback,guys. I'd really want to be able to see the schedule to determine what to record. Looking at the schedule manually then recording the times would suck. Oh well. I'll be getting with you soon for some computer help,Tim.