Reloading Windows 7

miles-high
Its a toshiba thing

If no recovery disk, try F12 (Fujitsu), F10 (some e-Machines), other F-key or "r" key on other makes of laptop/notebook/netbooks and you may get lucky…

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• KennyF

• USMC-Retired

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

philuk

stick with 32 bit if you have some older software it struggles to run it properly on 64 bit

Even using the compatibility wizard wont make it run properly,

Cipro

stick with 32 bit if you have some older software it struggles to run it properly on 64 bit

Even using the compatibility wizard wont make it run properly,

Such as what? I've never had a single issue like this, as a developer I don't know how to make software have an issue like this without explicitly trying. Device drivers and low level utilities, which usually cause more harm than good, are the only things I can think of that would stumble into such issues.

Oh - old games, but the XP compat stuff works like a champ.

miles-high
Such as what? I've never had a single issue like this, as a developer I don't know how to make software have an issue like this without explicitly trying.

I just received a Boeing CBT software – it is their “current” courseware which was originally developed in 1995 (as per the “property” information). It would not install on my Win7 64-bit desktop with an error message saying “Unable to install on x64 (64-bit) system, contact the software developer”… :(

So, I had to install this on my Win7 32-bit laptop with a 10” LCD, instead of studying on 4 24” LCD’s as I am used to on other training programs. :cry:

I have no time reinstalling Win7 32-bit as I am heading to Seattle this weekend, besides it would waste my 16G RAM…

Most courseware including desktop simulators work OK but they still recommend us to use XP’s… When run on Win7 64-bit, I see some anomalies such as a few degrees heading differences on the graphics and digital readout, etc. I don’t know what causes these minor glitches but it would not happen on XP machine…

Guess big companies (aerospace/defense) techies are too lazy to rewrite their programs… ;)

CardiacKid
Guess big companies (aerospace/defense) techies are too lazy to rewrite their programs…
Probably no great (if any) profit for them if they do.
USMC-Retired

It is a pain to rewrite programs that will operate on both platforms. Additionally it costs alot of money.

I wonder if that program was written as a 16bit program as that will never run on 64bit machine. (unless there is a 32 bit compatible environment not likely). Being it was developed in 1995 my guess it is 16 bit. That is a 17 year old program. WOW should run all your 32 bit applications in a 64 bit environment. However there are exception such as code injection will not be support between 32 and 64 bit applications.

The most part software is not issue when you go between 32 and 64 bit. So which should you chose. 64 bit if your computers is capable of handling this. Example a 32 bit machine under windows 7 is limited for physical memory at 4Gb. A 64 bit machine for Physical Memory is limited however at 192Gb. A program in a 32bit environment is limited to 2Gb per user and a 64 Gb is limited ot 8Gb per user. These are substantial numbers depending on what you are doing with the machine.

Edited by Norseman
KennyF

What about running Virtual Box?

I have virtual Box on my Windows 7 machine and when I need XP I fire that up (most of my help desk customers are still on XP)

KonGC

USMC-Retired

Yes that is an option for anyone. If you do so then your need for a 64 bit machine are even greater. Would it not be nice to dedicate 2 or 4Gb of memory to the virtual box. Thus you are not strapping it for resources.

KennyF

Yes that is an option for anyone. If you do so then your need for a 64 bit machine are even greater. Would it not be nice to dedicate 2 or 4Gb of memory to the virtual box. Thus you are not strapping it for resources.

I give just 1GB to the Virtual XP. That seems to be enough.

Leaves me 2.5 or so for Win7

KonGC

KennyF

I think Microsoft have their own Virtual Machine and an XP Virtual Drive that you can grab for free.

KonGC

Cipro

I just received a Boeing CBT software – it is their “current” courseware which was originally developed in 1995 ...

Well that would be the year Windows 95 was released, so I really doubt it's 32 bit, more like Windows 3.1 maybe, unless they have rewritten it. Even so, it should run. Run the installer inside the 32bit compatibility mode, and I bet all will be OK.

I think Microsoft have their own Virtual Machine and an XP Virtual Drive that you can grab for free.

KonGC

They bought Virtual PC a while back, and a lite version of it ships with Win 7.

USMC-Retired

Well that would be the year Windows 95 was released, so I really doubt it's 32 bit, more like Windows 3.1 maybe, unless they have rewritten it. Even so, it should run. Run the installer inside the 32bit compatibility mode, and I bet all will be OK.

It may 8 or 16 bit and it is not going to run inside a 64 bit environment. There is not compatibility module for it to operate. Just to darn old.

Cipro

It may 8 or 16 bit and it is not going to run inside a 64 bit environment. There is not compatibility module for it to operate. Just to darn old.

Maybe, but it's hard to imagine they have any 16 bit modules after almost 20 years, more likely they made the installer quit on 64 bit to avoid support calls.

philuk

Such as what? I've never had a single issue like this, as a developer I don't know how to make software have an issue like this without explicitly trying. Device drivers and low level utilities, which usually cause more harm than good, are the only things I can think of that would stumble into such issues.

software such as 3d home designer delux, mgi photosuite, both have issues in 64 bit, they will run bur are unstable

Edited by philuk