Reloading Windows 7

liquido

After awhile my laptop started having glitches like not shutting down properly having to hold the power button in.all the time.I do not have alot of info on my laptop so I thought I would reload windows.Well when I purchased this laptop in the states I forgot that a windows disk was not included which is not uncommon..I ordered direct from Toshiba..Underneath the laptop is a windows sticker with serial numbers and I did make a recovery disk when I first started using the laptop..My question is how do I reload windows now in this situation?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• KennyF

• USMC-Retired

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Kredible

After awhile my laptop started having glitches like not shutting down properly having to hold the power button in.all the time.I do not have alot of info on my laptop so I thought I would reload windows.Well when I purchased this laptop in the states I forgot that a windows disk was not included which is not uncommon..I ordered direct from Toshiba..Underneath the laptop is a windows sticker with serial numbers and I did make a recovery disk when I first started using the laptop..My question is how do I reload windows now in this situation?

I ain't no expert, but I would try booting with the recovery disk in the drive. (Enable the CD/DVD drive in boot priority in BIOS). Your laptop might have a recovery partition which the laptop will use to reinstall a "fresh" copy of Windows 7. Just make sure you back up all your important data (p*orn) first.

Norseman probably knows more about this stuff. Or DavidLiT could post up a series of Venn diagrams showing you how to do it (and build a toaster while you are at it).

KennyF

Your recovery disk will be on a hidden partition on the HDD.

Try starting in "Safe Mode" I think it's still F8 held down when you boot in 7.

KonGC

Cipro

A lot of these DVD-less machines have a recovery partition that can rebuild the system.

Cipro

As for the core issue, I'm curious how you broke Win7

KennyF

As for the core issue, I'm curious how you broke Win7

I don't think it's so hard.

I installed 7 on a brand new AMD 2000, 4GB, 1TB drive last week after nearly 10 years with XP.

7 on my PC takes 50% longer to boot than XP on the same machine (not guessing, I've timed it).

In the last 7 days Windows 7 has frozen solid twice, even CTRL ALT DEL did not work and I had to pull the plug.

Several of my programs that claim they are OK for 7 are throwing up problems (not 7s fault I guess).

When I get a little time I,m going to do a fresh install on my second new 1TB drive and see if its maybe something I did wrong win the first install.

After 7 days though, I'm starting to get used to the Windows 7 interface.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

Make sure the computer is turned off.

powering on the computer.

Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while booting

operating system, select one at this time. If not, skip

{If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit}

executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. Click continue.

A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is Yes to that.

Edited by Norseman
Cipro

I installed 7 on a brand new AMD 2000, 4GB, 1TB drive last week after nearly 10 years with XP.

I have heard a few people say that, but I've never seen it, seriously. My mom is using Win7 for over a year and she can't break it. Sister, same. 2 brothers, same. Entire building of software devs, same. I'm really curious how people do it.

7 on my PC takes 50% longer to boot than XP on the same machine

Maybe, I reboot about 1x every 2 weeks, I don't even see why people care. It takes less time than it takes me to refill my water glass, which is the main thing.

KennyF
Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while booting

Is this for this brand of computer or is it a new Window 7 thing?

KonGC

Cipro

With 4gb I would be sure to use 64 bit.

KennyF

With 4gb I would be sure to use 64 bit.

You sure? I have 64 install disk it but I thought you needed a 64 bit PC?

KonGC

USMC-Retired

Its a toshiba thing

Cipro

You sure? I have 64 install disk it but I thought you needed a 64 bit PC?

KonGC

The pc has 4gb and doesn't support AMD64? If it's an older machine, are you sure you have the drivers for it?

Yeah, if it only supports 32 bit, then use 32 bit.

FWIW, I would probably stick to what shipped on it.

KennyF

The pc has 4gb and doesn't support AMD64? If it's an older machine, are you sure you have the drivers for it?

Yeah, if it only supports 32 bit, then use 32 bit.

FWIW, I would probably stick to what shipped on it.

Yes it has 4 GB but of course Windows XP and I think 7 32bit can only use 3.6GB so you lose a little.

I may have this wrong but I'm told that once you run 64 bit then you need to install 64 bit programs as any 32 bit stuff you run actually runs slower because it's running "on top" of the 64 bit system

If you don't understand what I said it's probably because I don't understand it either.

KonGC

KonGC

Cipro

Yes it has 4 GB but of course Windows XP and I think 7 32bit can only use 3.6GB so you lose a little.

I may have this wrong but I'm told that once you run 64 bit then you need to install 64 bit programs as any 32 bit stuff you run actually runs slower because it's running "on top" of the 64 bit system

If you don't understand what I said it's probably because I don't understand it either.

KonGC

KonGC

It burns a little more memory for the WOW64 subsystem but execution is always at native CPU speed. It has all the advantages of running under a 64 bit kernel.