Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Computer can't find keyboard

shadow

Last week suddenly my computer decided it would no longer detect my PS2 keyboard. The keyboard worked fine on my wife's computer. We bought a USB keyboard, and although it is still a little finicky (have to plug it in several times before it will detect) it does eventually work.

Last night my wife's computer did the same thing, it will no longer detect her keyboard.

Could this be some kind of bug? Mighty coincidental it happened on two computers. We are always lacking in USB slots, so I like using a PS2 keyboard/mouse rather than tie up USB slots.

Thanks,

Larry in Dumaguete

musicman666

Try buying some anti rust/contact cleaner oil based spray.. Its in ace hardware. ...eventually all metal contacts in the Philippines will get oxidized and need this... The fact that your keyboard will work after several tries points to this rather than something more sinister.

Spray the USB port male end.

It's good to spray your memory contacts too as odd stuff starts to happen ...and trust me it will ...so getting a can of that is essential for living here where dust and humidity is a real problem.

Edited by musicman666

Davaoeno
eventually all metal contacts in the Philippines will get oxidized

i agree with that- but i also agree with shadow that the timeline is way too coincidental to be corrosion.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Before I start spraying stuff all over your computer. Have you installed any hardware into the computer? Have you added a webcam, printer, any USB devices?

Go to your computer right click on it. Then go to manage. Then Device Manger. Do you have any yellow triangles or question marks? If so that is an issue you need to fix.

I would disconnect all of those devices as stated above. Then I would start the computer in safe F8 keep pressing it after the restart. Start in Safe Mode. Does the mouse work?

If the mouse does not work. Then more then likely it is a bad mouse. I would get one PS2 mouse and test it in both machines. See if that corrects the issue.

If not it is a resource issue with the mouse and where it is allocating resources.

Chances of the port going bad are slim and same with the connections. What happens many times is you get a surge of power in that com port. Thus it shorts the weakest link. The mouse.

As for you USB mouse. It will take time everytime the computer loads it loads the USB drivers for it. Unless you disable the onboard PS2 ports for your mouse.

Edited by Norseman

Dragon

Sounds like something is screwed up with PnP. Unplug all devices except mouse and keyboard. Go into Device Manager and plug/unplug the keyboard to see if the system detects its presence. Assuming no hardware defect, if the system does not detect the keyboard then the BIOS is likely messed up. Reset your BIOS to default and try again.

Good luck.

USMC-Retired

There is a common link of device you are plugging into both machines. Odd that both computers do it at the same time. What did you install or unistall? Oddly though a keylogger of sorts or spy software can cause it also. Just so you know. If that is the case a system restore will revert any registry settings back to what they were.

Edited by Norseman

Davaoeno
a keylogger of sorts or spy software can cause it also

I can hear the gears turning already !! ;)

musicman666

Before I start spraying stuff all over your computer.

norseman dont tell me you spray your whole computer with contact cleaner...lol!... if i have problems such as these i begin by cleaning the contacts of the thing thats giving me problems. Its very easy to do and immeadiately discounts that as being a problem. Also its good to do anyway just as preventative maintenance.

a little spray takes i second.... you will kick yourself if you spend hours trying to fix a problem when this might be the only problem that you could have done to start off with.

USMC-Retired

I do not spray anything. I use a a good eraser sometimes or little emery cloth on them. Yet I can see it. You tell someone to spray something. The mentality is a little is good but a whole bunch is better.

• Like 1

musicman666

I do not spray anything. I use a a good eraser sometimes or little emery cloth on them.

i cant see how you can avoid using the spray if you want to clean contacts that you cant get to any other way. ...just curious ..what is it that you thinks is so bad about using spray?

USMC-Retired

Nothing there are some good contact sprays out there. I am really unaware of side effects of them if they leave residue after you use them. If they do (which I do not know) it can attract dust or lead to a form of corrosion. Like I said never had a need. I some small emery rods that get to almost an contact or connector. Then a little compressed air and done.

livinglife007

This spray to clean contacts can it be 10 W 30 with a QTip or something I must order at the computer store and ask for cleaning kit.

musicman666

its called 3in1 contact cleaner ..by the 3in1 company. It looks like a can of wd40 and is applied the same way with a little tube on the end of an aeresol.

on the can it says no residue and its non conductive. .. you dont really need a qtip just spray locally and thats it.

its not just an oil as such.. its specially made.

can be found in cebu home builders and ace hardware.

3m also do one called tartan although that seems to have stopped for some reason.. that was good too. Probably the same stuff if truth be known.

livinglife007

Thank you musicman66 , 3in1 contact cleaner will be on my shopping list when I go to the city.

shadow

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. For now we just bought yet another USB keyboard, and all works, even if a bit temperamental.

There are many brands of contact cleaner available here, check most any major hardware store.

Now, if we just had an internet provider that was dependable, but we have Globe, so we were down most all day.

LinD.

Edited by shadow