Sign in to follow this  
toshi

going to bantayan island

udonthani

Kota is not reasonably priced at all. Aircon rooms 2000 is not cheap, Fan room at over 1000 is more than double what I pay in Santa Fe for a fan room. I was being a bit tight last time I was there and got a perfectly OK fan room with fridge for 450. When I do want a better standard of accommodation there, I stay at studio apartment with cable, fridge, aircon, fan, safe, fully screened, with kitchen, I pay 5,900 per week, or 842 per day.

Davaoeno

I like to get the most bang for my buck, but I draw the line at cheaping out so much that I do not get a level that i feel very comfortable with. I did not work all my life to be just ok- i like some of the finer things in life, i like to be pampered, and i am willing to pay for it. I do not consider that to be a character flaw ! If i can get a just ok fan room for 450 pesos, and a very nice fully a/c unit close to the beach - i go for the 2000 peso every time. I refuse to appologize for knowing what i want - and making sure that i get it . I did my time back packing and sleeping in cars and in barns 40 years ago- now its time to enjoy some of the perks working hard and smart has brought.

I'm not a teenager anymore and I refuse to act like one !

Edited by DAVAOENO
  • Like 2

liquido

I happened to checkout the 5900 per week rooms..I found them to be dark and dreary..When im in Bantayan i want the breeze and sun light...

Kota is not reasonably priced at all. Aircon rooms 2000 is not cheap, Fan room at over 1000 is more than double what I pay in Santa Fe for a fan room. I was being a bit tight last time I was there and got a perfectly OK fan room with fridge for 450. When I do want a better standard of accommodation there, I stay at studio apartment with cable, fridge, aircon, fan, safe, fully screened, with kitchen, I pay 5,900 per week, or 842 per day.

Edited by liquido

Davaoeno

I actually paid 1200 pesos a night last time [ that was with a discount, 25% I think ]

but it wasnt Kota

Edited by DAVAOENO

batman2525

Last Feb we stated at Kota beach(3 rooms) each room was 700 pesos per night...it was a room with 2 beds(dbl and single)these rooms at 700 pesos per night were at the back of the complex and we did not have a view of the beach,wouldnt have mattered if there was a view as the windows were too high anyway.Oh,they gave us a discount on each room of 100 pesos per night because we took three rooms.

• Like 2

easy44

Check out Budyong Resort. It's right next to Kota Beach and, as I recall, cheaper. I paid P350/night for a fan cottage right on the beach. This was maybe 8 or 9 years ago and I was with a local girl so I know I got a deal. It's basic but clean and they have a decent restaurant. The best part is it is right on the nicest section of the beach.

SiamBeach

While you were there, you obviously did not visit Moby Dick's Bar & Restaurant. Or, you would have enjoyed some great meals.

I have had many drivers, over the years, offer to take us to Cebu for Php 500. Of course, I lived in Bogo at the time of many of those offers.

Ja, ja. I went to Moby Dick's many times with my pals. Usually good food it is true. Gringo prices, of course. I prefer Cheap Eats so that is why I eat the crap local food. Upside is I actually lost 30 pounds (13.5 Kilos) while on The Island. Many nights my friends and I would be drinking the cheapo SMLs at Arjaymay's and would just blow off eating dinner and fill up on SMLs instead. A good idea is to sit aty Arjayamay's tables (directly opposite Cou Cou) and order a farang style BBQ chicken from their resaurant 2 doors south. Foreigner Style means no marinade injections and a red onion stuffed in the cavity. Use your own beer for accasional rinse of the bird with a little poured in the cavity. Tell them to only cut it in half also. Good stuff. They make great Fries also. Eat there and SMLs are only 30P.

Locals say the Mayor of Santa Fe wanted a taste of every ticket sold so Mid Sea Express put it's flight 'on hold' to Banatayan.

The Peiping's Resto by the bridge in Town is for rent. Nobody piced it up in the 5 months I was there. The carendaria called Jela's near the market is a good place. Cool inside the eating area and very clean. A little more money than the usual crap carendarias.

Le Petit Boehner opened a carendaria opposite the market and next door to Arjayamay's resto and serves some decent cheapo food. I like their lentil soup. It's the roadside stall of the two or three stalls open.

Kermit's still pleasing it's customers with cakes and coffee.

Not bad carendaria is Maria's (no sign) on the side street alongside the Fire station in Town. On the right hand side as you ride into the street from The Plaza square. Ate there a lot as do some other gringos.

Only about 4 more months and I will be back. Getting a bicycle this time as well as renting a moto.

Find and visit Paradise Beach. It's not as great a beach as some say but it is a very nice and quiet small beach. Do Not pay the 20-40 Peso 'guest fee'. No problem refusing to pay. It's a Public Beach. They usually collect from Koreans coming by boat.

Edited by SiamBeach

ron100

i just been in santa fe for a week ,and every time i went to moby dicks i was the only one there,and they no food,think its on its last legs?,but then it was pretty quite all over,

Edited by ron100

liquido

How is the HK doing? Sad day when Vaughn passed...Hope that it was just slow at Moby Dicks,nice guy and his wife that run the place..Contemplating making the move from Bohol to Bogo and then commute on the weekends to Bantayan Island..

Ja, ja. I went to Moby Dick's many times with my pals. Usually good food it is true. Gringo prices, of course. I prefer Cheap Eats so that is why I eat the crap local food. Upside is I actually lost 30 pounds (13.5 Kilos) while on The Island. Many nights my friends and I would be drinking the cheapo SMLs at Arjaymay's and would just blow off eating dinner and fill up on SMLs instead. A good idea is to sit aty Arjayamay's tables (directly opposite Cou Cou) and order a farang style BBQ chicken from their resaurant 2 doors south. Foreigner Style means no marinade injections and a red onion stuffed in the cavity. Use your own beer for accasional rinse of the bird with a little poured in the cavity. Tell them to only cut it in half also. Good stuff. They make great Fries also. Eat there and SMLs are only 30P.

Locals say the Mayor of Santa Fe wanted a taste of every ticket sold so Mid Sea Express put it's flight 'on hold' to Banatayan.

The Peiping's Resto by the bridge in Town is for rent. Nobody piced it up in the 5 months I was there. The carendaria called Jela's near the market is a good place. Cool inside the eating area and very clean. A little more money than the usual crap carendarias.

Le Petit Boehner opened a carendaria opposite the market and next door to Arjayamay's resto and serves some decent cheapo food. I like their lentil soup. It's the roadside stall of the two or three stalls open.

Kermit's still pleasing it's customers with cakes and coffee.

Not bad carendaria is Maria's (no sign) on the side street alongside the Fire station in Town. On the right hand side as you ride into the street from The Plaza square. Ate there a lot as do some other gringos.

Only about 4 more months and I will be back. Getting a bicycle this time as well as renting a moto.

Find and visit Paradise Beach. It's not as great a beach as some say but it is a very nice and quiet small beach. Do Not pay the 20-40 Peso 'guest fee'. No problem refusing to pay. It's a Public Beach. They usually collect from Koreans coming by boat.

ron100

from what i seen its dead dead i went past or inside over 2 weeks and saw all but 2 people there and 1 was the owner??maybe ,and no food to be had

HD seems to be ok and many people most times,and stayed open till at least 2/3 am also food was ok as well

easy44

My experience is that after the first visit, Bantayan is good for about about 2 days at a time max. There just isn't anything to do there and hard to find decent food. You can't hang out at the beach all day, every day.

udonthani

My experience is that after the first visit, Bantayan is good for about about 2 days at a time max. There just isn't anything to do there and hard to find decent food. You can't hang out at the beach all day, every day.

Bantayan is quite interesting in that appears to be one of the few Filipine islands that have no topographical interest whatsoever. There's no mountain, no hot spring, no waterfall or raging river, no cave apart from a resort that says its a cave, no coral, no nothing. It just hasn't got anything much to sell, apart from a beach which, let's be honest isn't all that great. It's just OK.

having said that I've brought Filipinas from elsewhere to Bantayan several times. They all said they liked the vibe of Santa Fe, immeadiately, when they walked round for the first time.

Edited by udonthani

norm17

We went to Bohol when we were there in September last year during some sort of holiday,, big mistake,, no were to stay, couldn't get on a boat to get back,, all in all wish we had stayed home!!! wait untill after easter for a few weeks would be my advice.... but anywho,,, lucky you, Bantayan was my pick of were to go but got voted down by the family,,,,( all from Bohol ) it won't happen again, i will be putting my foot down,,,, mmm not that it will make any differance :sad_01: Bantayan looks good to me ...

nice place...what island is that?!

SiamBeach

I am very encouraged by the responses on this thread. I hope Bantayan Never takes off as a Must See tourist destination. It's a perfect place for a certain type of geezer expat. Like me.

There is really no night life and that is what the tourists want and when they read on the internet about how boring it is on the island, they go elsewhere. Thanks God.

There are no tourist oriented girlie bars and that is another Keep Away for many potential tourists.

Moby Dicks only serves up the food in season? The owner has plenty of money so maybe he will hang on. The Moby Dick's Annual Pool Tournament is a Big Effing Deal. The Sex Scandal that hit Moby's in March was fun for all. (I can say no more!)

Business might be helped if he would stop punching out the customes, tho ;o)

JohnBonham

I stayed there twice and it's not cheap but it is nice. Pretty sure me and the wife made our first baby there!

We went back and took the kids there last year and it was not quite as nice as I remember but still good. More expensive now. I think just under $100 US, for the family room. They have non aircon bungalow (but very nice) for around 2,000 pp. (not sure on prices. they do respond to emails after a day or so) Pool is nice and the underground cool water cave is awesome.

Biggest problem is getting there, its like a 6 hour ride from Cebu, maybe more. Less if you have your own car, but not much quicker as you have long wait for ferry.

Have fun!