Sign in to follow this  
toshi

going to bantayan island

udonthani

I took a taxi from Cebu to the ferry for a cost of 2000 php. On the return trip i took the non air com bus for 70 pesos.[ x2] You need to really have a death wish to ride the bus tho !!

what a dumbass you didn:t comprehend the economics its always much better to get the bus out of the big city< and the taxi back in the price nosedives the drivers are going back to the city anyway so they will accept a low price

• Like 3

Jimone

If you go to wowbantayan.com there is lots of info there and the owner of the site can arrange a charter flight for you,,, have no idea about the cost or the aircraft, but would be great to get a view from the air before you are on the ground..

post-3349-0-39136400-1333925856_thumb.jpg

SiamBeach

I just left Bantayan after 5 months there. Stayed in Santa Fe.

Stay near the beach or out of Sta Fe as 'in town' can be way to loud what with the church starting the bells at 5AM on many days.

The food is shite, it's true. But, I never got the runs and I lost twenty pounds and am now a svelte 170 pounds. The foreigner restos are also shite and expensive.

I rented a motorbike for 4,000P a month and would eat at Jelas in town most days. Slightly better shite food there. Pizza is not bad in Santa Fe. New place, La Esquina, does a pretty authentic pizza for about 270-300P.

BONUS!! The store opposite CouCou has a few tables in front and sells SM for 25P and SML for 27. Also has cheap Red Horse and the big Double Eagle bottles. Often this place, Arjaymay, has more customers drinking there than any other place on 'Main Street'.

Sugar Beach is fabtastic. Sure there is too much crap on the beach but that is the Phils, Comrades.

Plenty of motornike rides to take. Find Paradise Beach. Find the beach roads that got to Madridejos from Sta Fe or the road going nearly to Bantayan Town along the beach by the mangroves.

BONUS!! The town has started killing off the stray dogs so it is a little quieter in the AM in Sta Fe. Dogs were never a big problem except in the AM and they were never barking at farangs.

I love Bantayan Island and will be back in October for 6 more months.

asiawolfie

the scheduled flights from Mactan's Aviation terminal to Bantayan have been dsicontinued since quite some time.

I sat on MIDSEAEXPRESS' only second departing flight from Bantayan to Cebu in February 2011. It was great fun, think of low altitude cruising, headphones to protect you from the noise. I sat just behind the two pilots and was able to shoot some nice Video sequences, particularly when cruising just above SM CITY and the RADISSON. few people get to see those from such a perspective.

The reason why they stopped flying to Bantayan is - as far as I know - that they now employ a bigger size aircraft that may need a longer runway, or that such a bigger aircraft can not be operated profitably to Bantayan.

the promo-fare that time was 1200 PHP, but keep in mind that there is only a 10 KG luggage allowance plus 3 KG carry-on. If you bring more, you pay dearly.

If you like my pics, why not award me a click on the THANKS or LIKE THIS button ;-)

post-2558-0-41508800-1337504982_thumb.jpg

Aircraft arriving in Bantayan

post-2558-0-10408100-1337505494_thumb.jpg

Bantayan Airport, a major HUB of Asia-Pacific ;-)

post-2558-0-11996100-1337505542_thumb.jpg

The Pilots, who were obviously not so convinved of their own flying skills, so they decided........

post-2558-0-91151700-1337505594_thumb.jpg

.....to put their trust in someone else {~_~}

post-2558-0-03248100-1337506177_thumb.jpg

it was time to say GOODBYE to Bantayan's Chicken Farms (those chicks that actually lay eggs).....

post-2558-0-40013500-1337506246_thumb.jpg

....and to the island's lovely beaches

post-2558-0-01469800-1337506471_thumb.jpg

and say "Hello again" to familiar places........

post-2558-0-58157100-1337506610_thumb.jpg

Cebu City, here we come

post-2558-0-26565500-1337506794_thumb.jpg

landed safely at Mactan's Aviation Terminal

post-2558-0-77442500-1337507001_thumb.jpg

It was a nice and unique adventure and well worth the 1200 PHP Promo-fare.....

• Like 6

udonthani

the Mid Sea Express Camiguin flight has been running regularly since April 2011 and seems to be viable. It costs like 2000 on average, which is competitive compared to the other ways of getting there, which only cost slightly less and of course takes hours and hours. It was always going to be hard for them to make a Bantayan flight pay, as it only takes five hours to get there even using a bus and ferry and costs like 400.

when I was there in January I was disapointed to see the best restaurant on the island, Peiplies by the bridge in Bantayan town, had closed. Not sure if the building is going to re-open again as a resto or what. That was a great place. You could feed about eight people there, and well too, for about 1000.

batman2525
I took a taxi from Cebu to the ferry for a cost of 2000 php. On the return trip i took the non air com bus for 70 pesos.[ x2] You need to really have a death wish to ride the bus tho !!

We took the bus from Cebu to where you catch the ferry to Bantayan Island..and back....no problem with our bus.

udonthani

more and more buses are airconditioned now, to the point where its probably I think around two-thirds of them. Even about seven years ago when I first started going, yes the buses were pretty dire, and they were also a lot slower. Now they're a doddle. We were even using a laptop on it most of the time, though sometimes the signal cut out.

m60man

You guys are funny.........Bantayan is a great place to get away from the hustle and bussle of the big cities. How you get there is your business, how you get back is easy. Taxi's are waiting to come back to Cebu. Some pay 2000 plus to get there and the driver only has two choices.....go back to Cebu empty or accept 1000 peso's and head home! Take a bus up and a cheap taxi ride back!

Some of the best meals I have had in the Philippines were on Bantayan.............there a a lot of places to stay........I have my favorite. I have posted about it before. Many say it is to expensive! I guess it's who you know........but when the beach and the high tide breaks under the house and the morning sun warms the deck.......I'm happy. Catered meal served on the deck........all for a price less then a room at Ogtong Cave.............

I could tell you more but in the past there is always several others that know more then I do. So I will not waste my time going into specifics. Enjoy Bantayan.........it can be done in style for affordable prices if you know who to talk to and when to go.

udonthani

the best of the foreign restaurants I tried in Santa Fe was the Mabuhay Balikbayan, that's been going a while now. Good menu, good ambience, a bit expensive, but not bad at all. They did a budget lunch menu too, it's very competitive in Sta. Fe, with a lot of restos chasing not all that many tourists. That's why so many restaurants that are just restaurants close down, or change hands, so often. If they haven't got anything else to sell, like rooms, it seems they can struggle.

Peiplies in Bantayan town closing down was a big blow for me. That was one of the best restaurants I've seen anywhere in the Philippines, certainly for value for money. Main courses, good for 2 averaged around 80, Shanghai Rice good for 2 was like 95. 330ml SMs, 21. SM Grandes, 56. Unbelievable prices. I certainly hope that place opens up again.

don't forget the big caranderia in the Bantayan town market. Big, plenty of selection, and clean. Better than any of the caranderias in Santa Fe.

there's a little coffee bar in Bantayan town too, near the main square, called Kermit's. This is where the nearest thing to Santa Fe's bohemian set goes, for coffee, cake, it's like a little version of Starbucks.

another place a lot of foreigners seem to miss is the videoke place out on the road from Sta. Fe to Bantayan town, past the gas station and cemetery, on your left. It's a restaurant as well as a bar, the videoke is free, but by pinoy standards the prices are quite high : small SM's are 50, Grandes, 90. Sisig good for 2, 120, and French Fries (large portion) 85. The chicken combo meal, good for 2, is 230.

popped in there in February and it looked like it may have changed hands, they had hardly anything on the menu. Empty. Places can change, be uneven. But back in late 2009 that was a great place. It was corking. Busy most nights, good atmostphere. It seemed foreigners almost never went there and I could never figure out why, as it's right on the main road with a lit sign and everything.

• Like 1

Paul

I just left Bantayan after 5 months there. Stayed in Santa Fe.

Stay near the beach or out of Sta Fe as 'in town' can be way to loud what with the church starting the bells at 5AM on many days.

The food is shite, it's true. But, I never got the runs and I lost twenty pounds and am now a svelte 170 pounds. The foreigner restos are also shite and expensive.

I rented a motorbike for 4,000P a month and would eat at Jelas in town most days. Slightly better shite food there. Pizza is not bad in Santa Fe. New place, La Esquina, does a pretty authentic pizza for about 270-300P.

BONUS!! The store opposite CouCou has a few tables in front and sells SM for 25P and SML for 27. Also has cheap Red Horse and the big Double Eagle bottles. Often this place, Arjaymay, has more customers drinking there than any other place on 'Main Street'.

Sugar Beach is fabtastic. Sure there is too much crap on the beach but that is the Phils, Comrades.

Plenty of motornike rides to take. Find Paradise Beach. Find the beach roads that got to Madridejos from Sta Fe or the road going nearly to Bantayan Town along the beach by the mangroves.

BONUS!! The town has started killing off the stray dogs so it is a little quieter in the AM in Sta Fe. Dogs were never a big problem except in the AM and they were never barking at farangs.

I love Bantayan Island and will be back in October for 6 more months.

While you were there, you obviously did not visit Moby Dick's Bar & Restaurant. Or, you would have enjoyed some great meals.

driver only has two choices.....go back to Cebu empty or accept 1000 peso's and head home!

I have had many drivers, over the years, offer to take us to Cebu for Php 500. Of course, I lived in Bogo at the time of many of those offers.

• Like 1

udonthani

well. I know we all of us like to think we can things for low prices, but I don't think a driver will take somebody back for 500 any more. My best ever was 700. This is something I did for 1000 in February. I know that is a lot, but I was with my girlfriend, and talked this German guy on the ferry into coming with us. He donated 300, so in effect I got the two of us there for 700, which I was happy with and the taxi driver was more than happy with. When you offer 1000, they won't hesitate. They'll just say OK immeadiately.

the fixers that come on the ferry acting as agents for the drivers (though there's usually no more than about two, or three drivers waiting) ask for 2000. Ignore these, or just say straight up that there's no way you're paying 2000.

once I got all the way to Talisay for 700, that was in 2008 I think, I don't think I'd be able to do that anymore. I realised that was a very good deal though, even then, and tipped him an extra 100. You've been in the car with him for three hours, for chrissakes and talking to him. Of course you're going to be a bit generous. If it's much longer than three hours, like four hours, you have to stop, take a rest and and have something to eat, a meal break - at your expense, of course.

another time we were going to Fuente, the traffic was really bad and the driver asked - politely - if we wouldn't mind getting out at SM and taking another meter taxi from there, because he was tired and had been at work since early that morning, wanted to get home and just didn't want to sit in a big traffic jam. Totally reasonable request. Of course I said yes.

there is some kind of racket thing going on at the port, and taxi drivers have to hand over 200 'tax' when they get the fare in the car to whichever organised gang is in control at the port at the time, otherwise they'll get their windows bashed in probably if they ever come back. I've seen them hand over the money a couple of times and one time, during the ride, a driver complained about it. So look at it from the drivers point of view. Aim to get a good price for sure. But not a totally ridiculous one. I would say 700 is good. 1000 is generous. Anything over that, too much.

Davaoeno

last year when i returned from Bantayan i thought i would find a taxi/van returning to Cebu and negotiate a deal with them, but after waiting over an hour and no one going that way i broke down and took the kamikaze bus !

easy44

Peiplies in Bantayan town closing down was a big blow for me. That was one of the best restaurants I've seen anywhere in the Philippines, certainly for value for money. Main courses, good for 2 averaged around 80, Shanghai Rice good for 2 was like 95. 330ml SMs, 21. SM Grandes, 56. Unbelievable prices. I certainly hope that place opens up again.

Those prices are most likely why they went out of business. I have found that many Filipinos running small businesses really don't know if they are making a profit, or not, until they go out of business.

liquido

I have to agree with Udonthani about the food at Peiplies how good it was,i ate there several times also..One of the reasons why is because they prepared the food why you waited.None of that tired cooked at 5am in the morning Carandaria food that Filipino's are so use to eating..There was a for sale sign on the place the last time I was there so I guess it never got sold...

the Mid Sea Express Camiguin flight has been running regularly since April 2011 and seems to be viable. It costs like 2000 on average, which is competitive compared to the other ways of getting there, which only cost slightly less and of course takes hours and hours. It was always going to be hard for them to make a Bantayan flight pay, as it only takes five hours to get there even using a bus and ferry and costs like 400.

when I was there in January I was disapointed to see the best restaurant on the island, Peiplies by the bridge in Bantayan town, had closed. Not sure if the building is going to re-open again as a resto or what. That was a great place. You could feed about eight people there, and well too, for about 1000.