Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Changing a BLANK password in Mac

Jawny

I have asked this question on various Apple/Mac forums, and haven't been able to get a clear answer. In fact, I suspect I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but here goes.

The basic question is how to change a password from BLANK (no password, just hit enter to install software etc), specifically on a MAC operating OS X.

The secondary question is what to do if it goes wrong.

Basically, if a newly bought Mac (new from Apple) is set up with no password (BLANK where a password would normally go) how is the password changed? I know the steps seem simple (go to users, click on change password and "follow the directions"). Trouble is, the directions say to enter the password, which is BLANK. So, should the password be entered ( hit the return key) or should the field be left blank and tab thru to the next field?

I understand that when Macs get sold as second hand, it is common to change to a BLANK password which allows the new owner to enter a new password. I just want to get a bit of hand-holding to accomplish the task. I am concerned about entering a BLANK and somehow getting locked out and having to go to a new install etc.

Help via Google all leads to the process of resetting a password, specifically, to essentially ignore the password and set yourself up as the new administrator. That is not my intent. I just want to undo what the technician in Ayala advised....."do the password later".

I was told that I could go ahead and try and the Mac would not lock me out. It would be as if someone had forgotten their password. Try, try again. I just don't trust advice like that as I have had experiences when I got locked out after a couple of tries.

Forefall

install windows, lol!

AB2000

System Preferences -> users and groups, change password, make your main user administrator, or even better, make just one user administrator, but your main account as standard (so you must enter a password to install something). Not sure what your current password problem is, I'd just not enter a password for the current.

There is also a way if you log in as the root user, but that is not recomended.

Edited by AB2000