20/40 ft sea container shipment; info on blocking/bracing, etc?

questsea73

For future need for myself hopefully, re a 20 foot steel container to ship household effects to P.I. via sea transport:

Does anyone know a website or detailed reference with tips/instructions for packing a 20 foot(or 40 foot) container yourself for shipment??

I have packed many individual things myself, so would have no need of a professional mover; would try to do everything myself with the help of a couple of strongback local hire helpers here in USA. So, my main concern is the damage items would get if not properly blocked and braced via attachments to floor and walls of the steel 20 foot unit. I am not sure but think some/many of these boxes have a thin wood inner sheathing so perhaps screws/short nails could be sunk to hold anchor straps...???? Also some item-to-item banding/strapping could be done.

For reference for others: I tried an on-line calculator October 2011 to get an estimate of what it would cost if I did ship a 20" box from Huntsville, Alabama to Davao, and was shocked at the price I got (compared to a similar quote to Bangkok 3 years previous ($2699 vs $5597.). Cebu might be a bit cheaper. ((www.freightcalculator.com)).

For reference for others: the 20 foot container was described at Exterior: 19' 10" length, 8" wide, 8"6" height. 38,000 maximum payload. Interior: 19" 4" L x 7'8" W x 7"9" Ht. Capacity: 32.9CBM(1,161 cubic ft); container weight itself: 5,138 lbs. Other companies boxes might slightly vary from these dimensions/weights.

The $5597. breakdown was $4519 for freight and the rest went for 11 fees. I wild-guessed for the quote 15,000 pounds and a minimal insurance value. I believe the delivered container dropped off at your residence was allowed 4 days for you to load before extra charges for a deferred pickup were charged. This was without designating a destination broker...clear myself.

From my area balikbayan boxes to Mindanao cost $100.

Ken

Edited by Paul
enabled hyper-link
Davaoeno

I never got too far into investigating, but the quoted container drop off and pick up fee was not cheap . Also i wanted to ship an suv and that particular shipping company insisted that they block it into a container [ empty] at a cost of $1000 !!.

Paul
Does anyone know a website or detailed reference with tips/instructions for packing a 20 foot(or 40 foot) container yourself for shipment??

Websites that should help you find answers:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4 - Informative PDF brochure

My Advice: ALWAYS pack the heaviest items toward the front of the container. Lighter, more fragile items should be toward the top and rear of the container.

I have packed many individual things myself, so would have no need of a professional mover; would try to do everything myself with the help of a couple of strongback local hire helpers here in USA. So, my main concern is the damage items would get if not properly blocked and braced via attachments to floor and walls of the steel 20 foot unit. I am not sure but think some/many of these boxes have a thin wood inner sheathing so perhaps screws/short nails could be sunk to hold anchor straps...???? Also some item-to-item banding/strapping could be done.

Depending on the cargo you wish to ship, and how it needs to be secured, I would recommend buying ratchet straps similar to the one pictured below:

49488_RTDS-5M5T-H.jpg

You see, the inside of a container will have the following, for ease of securing cargo:

1. Welded rings about every four feet (4'), to which you may secure the straps, above. If you know how to make a "rope com-along", you could save having to purchase the ratchet straps.

2. Wooden flooring, to which you may nail blocks of wood, or perhaps secure a pallet of secured items to the floor to prevent the cargo from moving.

For reference for others: the 20 foot container was described at Exterior: 19' 10" length, 8" wide, 8"6" height. 38,000 maximum payload. Interior: 19" 4" L x 7'8" W x 7"9" Ht. Capacity: 32.9CBM(1,161 cubic ft); container weight itself: 5,138 lbs. Other companies boxes might slightly vary from these dimensions/weights.

In case you are not aware, and depending on how much cargo you wish to ship, there are 45' containers, and 40' high cube containers as well. Both allow additional cargo to be packed inside. The one thing you will not have to concern yourself with, is overloading a container by weight. You may run out of space due to volume, but weight will not be an issue when shipping household products.

More Advice: Make it a point to stay on top of the delivery schedule. I do not know about the Philippines, but detention (waiting time for you to have the box in your possession in order to unload it), or demurrage, will be quite expensive. So, make it a point to know how many hours you are given, upon delivery, to unload your items from the container. Depending on the shipping company, the length of time is as little as two (2) hours, up to four (4) hours.

Still More Advice: Make sure that all nails, straps, packing material, and any debris are removed from the container, prior to sending it back to the port. They will charge you for cleaning it if you do not do this. (Take photos upon arrival, before breaking the seal, after opening the doors, of any damaged items, after all cargo has been removed, and after sweeping / cleaning the container.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
smokey

For future need for myself hopefully, re a 20 foot steel container to ship household effects to P.I. via sea transport:

For reference for others: I tried an on-line calculator October 2011 to get an estimate of what it would cost if I did ship a 20" box from Huntsville, Alabama to Davao, and was shocked at the price I got (compared to a similar quote to Bangkok 3 years previous ($2699 vs $5597.). Cebu might be a bit cheaper. ((www.freightcalculator.com)).

The $5597. breakdown was $4519 for freight and the rest went for 11 fees. I wild-guessed for the quote 15,000 pounds and a minimal insurance value. I believe the delivered container dropped off at your residence was allowed 4 days for you to load before extra charges for a deferred pickup were charged. This was without designating a destination broker...clear myself.

From my area balikbayan boxes to Mindanao cost $100.

Ken

i was quoted and paid under 3,000 us for a 40 footer from portland oregon to cebu.... in 2005 a company called southern shippers i think

greatplace

The only thing you should consider is don't rap any wood furniture in bubble rap......I shipped everything I had from Perth aussie in a 20' container and the professional guys told me this......as the heat inside the container gets really hot and the bubble rap can melt on to the polished wood surface.

When you go to unrap the furniture it can pull off the gloss varnish and ruin the surface of the furniture....just tip