USA Tourist Visa for Asawa?

cebubird

Yes, that's true, and of course we did same things for our son. My wife does of course now have a new passport with her married name on it. Anyway as I understand it, since we overstayed her 90 day visa, she has to wait 3 years before she can re-enter. The agency who handled our marriage certification and my 13-a, said it would be no problem getting a tourist visa for her now with owning land-plus me being 13-a. Obviously from what you and others have said, that is FAR from correct. I certainly can't imagine us staying away for more than a year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• shadow

• SkyMan

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this before but my wife was approved first try, no problem. I guess we're in the 1%. On paper, Headshot and I are almost identical. Similar ages of us and our wives. Married about the

That's the guy that rates arriving passenger's T&A and decides if they are hot enough to enter the US. The women's orgs are going to pitch a bitch fit when they find out about it.

I can understand the US embassy employees being very strict and denying the average Filipino a tourist visa unless they meet all of the requirements for a tourist visa. Even then it should be viewed o

shadow

Yes, that's true, and of course we did same things for our son. My wife does of course now have a new passport with her married name on it. Anyway as I understand it, since we overstayed her 90 day visa, she has to wait 3 years before she can re-enter. The agency who handled our marriage certification and my 13-a, said it would be no problem getting a tourist visa for her now with owning land-plus me being 13-a. Obviously from what you and others have said, that is FAR from correct. I certainly can't imagine us staying away for more than a year.

She did NOT overstay, and there is no such stipulation that she has to wait three years. She was granted 90 days in which to marry you. As long as she did that she abided by the terms of the visa and did not overstay. There is no stipulation on how soon you must file for adjustment of status, I know people who waited several years. She broke no law or stipulation by being out of status. However, being "out of status" means she has no visa. You would have to petition her for a spousal visa, or get lucky and be granted a tourist visa in order for her to enter the US again. Her leaving the US and returning to the Philippines would be a positive for applying for a tourist visa, because it shows she does not want to stay in the US. So really, her chances of being granted a tourist visa would be better than most.

Larry in Dumaguete

SkyMan
Should something happen to me while in the US, or -- strange as it may seem -- if my wife liked life in the US better than in the Phils, they would have no recourse, could not deport her.

Seems like odd logic though logic doesn't seem to enter into the approval process at all. But in either case, if something happened to you or you decided to stay, she could apply for either a widows or spousal visa depending on the circumstances with very nearly a 100% approval.

.....................If your legally married to her why bother with a tourist visa? Even if the two of you bought a house in The Philippines and plan on living there the rest of your lives, get the Spousal Visa. Going back will be easy once she is in The U.S.

The difference in cost is one reason but mainly, using a spousal visa as a tourist visa is a bit on the dishonest side as the spousal visa is an immigration visa meaning you intend to make the US your home and get citizenship. Now, anyone can change their minds, especially if she hasn't been to the place before.

Now one thing that may be of interest to some is that being denied a tourist visa is not a black mark and one can apply again and again and the spousal visa is always an option But I'm told that once a spousal visa has been applied for, the tourist visa is not an option. As Headshot said, I'm not sure how he might be affected by this.

I can understand their assuming a married filipina and her husband might try to use the tourist visa as a means of getting a cheap spousal visa but their is an easy fix. Simply charge the same for the tourist as the spousal and refund the difference when she returns. Easy enough.

Edited by SkyMan
Headshot

Her leaving the US and returning to the Philippines would be a positive for applying for a tourist visa, because it shows she does not want to stay in the US. So really, her chances of being granted a tourist visa would be better than most.

Well, that's good...because the next visa we will apply for will probably be another tourist visa...but first I need to have Skyman email me a copy of the letter his wife handed the consular officer. I would love to have a ten-year multiple-entry tourist visa for my wife. That would make our lives much easier. It would also save a lot of money not having to reapply each time we wanted to go visit.

MattFromGA

The big problem with the tourist visa is not just getting the visa. Every time your wife enters the USA on that visa, she is basically going through yet another evaluation of if she will leave, which is done by the T&A agent who happens to process her. They CAN AND DO decide that they cannot enter the country and if that happens your wife will be kept in a detention center until the next flight back.

If you have a wife on a tourist visa and think it is a slam dunk, THINK AGAIN. Imagine how you have all sorts of plans and spent thousands of dollars already, only to have it all thrown out on the decision of a moron T&A agent.

Headshot

What is a T&A agent?

SkyMan

What is a T&A agent?

That's the guy that rates arriving passenger's T&A and decides if they are hot enough to enter the US. The women's orgs are going to pitch a bitch fit when they find out about it.
  • Like 1
Bill H

This whole scam is repugnant to me and as an American citizen, embarrassing. We have a 2,000+ open southern boarder that almost anyone can walk across and the folks in Manila want to keep honest folks, applying the right way, from coming in. Insanity, pure insanity. Worse, I'm told there is no recourse and nothing you can do to rectify this horrible wrong.

miles-high

This whole scam is repugnant to me and as an American citizen, embarrassing. We have a 2,000+ open southern boarder that almost anyone can walk across and the folks in Manila want to keep honest folks, applying the right way, from coming in. Insanity, pure insanity. Worse, I'm told there is no recourse and nothing you can do to rectify this horrible wrong.

I totally agree with you.

I would think it more cost effective to have a fence on the other side, then another, electrified fence with lethal voltage on this side of the border and in between the fences, large “English” warning signs saying it could be fatal to cross the border… After all, illegals are committing the crime, thus we should treat criminals lex talionis

It is truly disgusting that the US Government treats people who applying entry to the states legally as almost like second class citizens… yet illegals (criminals) are freely walking, working, getting welfare benefits, medical treatments, enjoying life with the taxpayers’ money…

This whole scam is repugnant to me and as an American citizen, embarrassing. We have a 2,000+ open southern boarder that almost anyone can walk across and the folks in Manila want to keep honest folks, applying the right way, from coming in. Insanity, pure insanity.

Because previously too many of those "honest folks, applying the right way" from the Philippines never went back home. My wife has met multiple filipinas that are staying in the United States illegally. They probably outnumbered the local illegal mexicans when we lived in Jacksonville, FL.

Edited by T.S.
Bill H

Because previously too many of those "honest folks, applying the right way" from the Philippines never went back home. My wife has met multiple filipinas that are staying in the United States illegally. They probably outnumbered the local illegal mexicans when we lived in Jacksonville, FL.

I hear you, but I seriously doubt that it's true. The Mexicans came in by the MILLIONS after all.

MattFromGA

T&A is a euphemism for TSA created by Matt Drudge. I like it, and find it more fitting for the people involved.

johnormoc

I can understand the US embassy employees being very strict and denying the average Filipino a tourist visa unless they meet all of the requirements for a tourist visa. Even then it should be viewed on a case by case basis due to the multitude of Filipinos that have overstayed in the past. But what I cannot understand is the blatant refusal to allow WIVES of Americans a tourist visa when traveling with their husbands despite having all of the required documents. They don't even look at the packet with the documents their own website lists as meeting acceptance for a visa. They just refuse the entire packet with no review thereby causing unnecessary duress on qualified US dependents and American citizens.

This just happened to a good friend of mine. He and his wife have been married for nearly 2 years; they have a house, a business, 2 cars and a joint BDO account with 4 million pesos, all of the required documents and they were turned down without so much as a glance at their packet. No reason was given for the refusal.

To me, this is pure negligence on our embassy. Yet a Mexican is allowed to jump the fence, get a job, enroll their kids in public schools and get free health care. If you point out the unfairness of it all you're labeled a racist. I would love for a US Embassy worker to come on here and justify their actions but it will probably never happen as they feel they are above that.

• Like 1
tomaw

The other thing that is unfair is citizens of other countries like Australia, Newzealand, Japan and a few others can get a tourist visa quite easily. I guess it has to with being from a third world country vs countries with a U.S. standard of living. It still comes off though as blatent discrimination.

Headshot

T&A is a euphemism for TSA created by Matt Drudge. I like it, and find it more fitting for the people involved.

You do realize that TSA and Immigration are totally separate, don't you? TSA are the people who try to keep the bombs off the plane...not the bums.

Edited by Headshot