opening bank account

forest51

FYI

I walked in off the street yesterday to Metro Bk Fuente Osmena main branch just down from Roberrtsons armed with a passport a filipina phone number , a filipina address( my hotel ) and in 20 mins had opened a bank account..

I have only a 21 day visa,...nothing more was asked for or produced...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• forest51

• Headshot

• InternetTough

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I opened a citibank account in the u.s. and will open one here in cebu once I get moved in. If you go with a citi gold account, you get some nice benefits, one being no foreign transaction fees. I tak

Here's a strategy used by many expats. When you come here, leave your money in a U.S. checking account. Upon arrival, open an account here. (I recommend BPI) Once a month, deposit a check from your U.

The thing about having money in a bank here is that it will probably NOT help you in the case of a medical emergency. Banks here are in the business of HOLDING your money...not in making it easy for y

Majorsco

Same thing here in Dipolog City with PNB. No other info was requested.

MarinePride

That's the way it should be, enjoy it while it lasts.

throttleplate
Same thing here in Dipolog City with PNB. No other info was requested.

Hey major,i lived in dipolog city for a year during the ugly brownouts in 2010 and spent lots of time hanging out at gfs home in dapitan,how are the brownouts at this time.Take care.

Paul

FYI

I walked in off the street yesterday to Metro Bk Fuente Osmena main branch just down from Roberrtsons armed with a passport a filipina phone number , a filipina address( my hotel ) and in 20 mins had opened a bank account..

I have only a 21 day visa,...nothing more was asked for or produced...

There are a number of banks you can deal with, easily. One I deal with will give you a checking account, if you would like.

O/T: You do not hold a 21 day visa. Such an animal does not exist. You were granted a 21 days stay, upon entry into the Philippines. You merely extend that stay each time you visit the BOI. If you were to purchase a visa, prior to entering the Philippines, it would be placed in your passport and look something like this:

philippines_9%28a%29_visa_small.jpg

More about the 9(a) visa by visiting this site.

Edited by Paul
forest51

and to answer u Ron it was both a bank book account and an ATM card.....but gotta wait for a week to get card....

the reason I posted this on this site...was because I had always been told and read on many forums that I needed this and that to open a bank account and had been told a few months ago by a woman in Metro bank in Ramos , Cebu that I couldn't open an account on the visa I had...( Sorry Paul I mean a 21 stay permit hahhahhahahhah)

so was surprised it was so easy....

forest51

and Towboat I deposited pesos into the account......

I don't live here but visit around 5 times a year, so like to send $ s from Australia when the exchange rates are up...hoard a few pesos,invade the dollar slips again.

InternetTough

Good for you! I finally got my bank account after asking how at many banks around town. It was not that easy. I had to prove that I was renting a place. Staying at the Diplomat Hotel was not good enough. I needed to show either the rental contract or an electric bill with my name on it. I got this told me at several different banks. I thought that if I kept on knocking on doors, one would be easier than the others. Nope! The bank officers were surprisingly consistent. I had expected from the various reports that I had read on this forum that I could find an easier one.

But...I did not go to the Metrobank just south of Fuente Osmena Circle.

By the way, Faluango was commenting on how you wrote "Filipina" as opposed to writing "Filipino". A Filipina is always a female. He was joking about what you wrote, because it sounded like you were saying that you were ensconced in a Filipina's life/house.

Edited by InternetTough

I have a bankaccount - peso saving account in BPI.

When I wanted to open an account in BPI, a peso saving account, I went to a BPI branch close to Fuente Circle. I was denied because I used the hotel-address and it's not allowed. Then I just went to another branch in SM and used the same adress without telling it was a hotel. I showed my passport, gave a phil phone-number and address in Phil. They didn't asked me about a visa.

When I will be back in Cebu I will get a gold-card and one more account, just to avoid the long lines when I withdraw in the bank. I have already asked in the bank and it will be no problem they told me.

I choosed BPI because one of the danish banks have a peso account in BPI, and it's easy for me to transfer money from my danish account to my BPI account.

saigon46

On the topic of banking, does anyone know where I can cash a dollar certified check? My GF has already tried bdo and metrobank with no luck. I was thinking the check was good as cash.

Later, SB

InternetTough

On the topic of banking, does anyone know where I can cash a dollar certified check? My GF has already tried bdo and metrobank with no luck. I was thinking the check was good as cash.

Later, SB

If I had one of those, I would try to deposit it in my bank account. I am sure that they would explain to me that I would have to wait until it cleared...in up to 20 banking days. That was my experience with another "as good as cash" banking instrument.

Faluango

They asked me for a bank statement from my home country.......... which I find kind of annoying