Stress Testing The New Box

• Admin (Retired)
broden

running prime95 now

gonna run furmark later

found out that the new asus P9X79 motherboards have compatibility issuses with some programs like speedfan .. so the computer was actually being cooled ok .. i'm using Adia64 now and even that has some issues with the separate cores still just like the other programs showing at a rock solid 91c but the cpu shows at 25c ... so eventually new driver/bios i'm sure will clear all that up.. it's so far working wonderfully and cold. and really i'm just as happy to have the watercooler out of it anyway. i'm just old school but one little drip and that's all she wrote

and i still have room for 2 more fans if i ever want them on the inside side of the drivebay.

just can't wait for ssd's to become the norm and much cheaper ... win 7 starts in a flash

it's running like a charm but i have a lot of file transfering to do and some tweaking still

Cipro
Just can't wait for ssd's to become the norm and much cheaper ... win 7 starts in a flash

My main system boots from an SSD and yes, in fact the system is ready for login BEFORE the Logitech G15 firmware has finished initializing on a cold boot.

Justin Kredible

Damn, now I have to get an SSD.

Durn Jones's......

Cipro

It took a few times for me to understand what was going on, since it was fine from a login prompt or update/reboot warm boot cycle. The system would boot within seconds, and the login prompt would show, but my keystrokes wouldn't get registered.

I bet Logitech has or will have to fix this.

• Like 1
musicman666

Ssd is the future but I worry about their reliability....... an ssd integrated high capacity raid mirror..... now we are talking!

KennyF

You only need a small SSD for the OS.

I'd say 40 to 60 gig would do but a 120 Gig would be perfect because you could put you swap on it too..

Then all your big stuff like photos, videos and music on a regular sata drive.

KonGC

musicman666

You only need a small SSD for the OS.

I'd say 40 to 60 gig would do but a 120 Gig would be perfect because you could put you swap on it too..

Then all your big stuff like photos, videos and music on a regular sata drive.

KonGC

Just dont use hibernate/standby with a high memory machine.....otherwise the system ssd will fill up real fast.

Edited by musicman666
  • Like 1
Cipro

The newer motherboards from Intel can use an SSD as a drive cache.

Cipro

Just dont use hibernate/standby with a high memory machine.....otherwise the system ssd will fill up real fast.

Hibernate doesn't fill up the disk, it just reserves space once. As for reliability, the newer bigger drives have lives that outpace rotating media.

• Like 1

You are stress testing my box with all these posts about your new pc.

I've gone from being the same as you, buying a top line pc every year to being content with a pc which will last a couple of years.

Now because of all you buggers I am going to order an SSD and a few other items which I didn't really need.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

You are stress testing my box with all these posts about your new pc.

I've gone from being the same as you, buying a top line pc every year to being content with a pc which will last a couple of years.

Now because of all you buggers I am going to order an SSD and a few other items which I didn't really need.

not quite every year.. every 3 to 5 just depends

anyway i went with a 90 gig ssd. and a 2 t hard drive for storage.

i can move games back and forth to the ssd if i want to.

i'll be very happy when i can replace with hard drive with a similar sized ssd .. that's when i'll consider them cheap enough