PLDT: No to broadband

AFTER almost three years of testing the possibility of delivering broadband services using power lines, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. has decided to shelve its project called Broadband over Power Lines (BPL).

BPL is a synergy project between PLDT and Meralco that aims to deliver broadband services directly to the houses of 4.5 million household customers of Meralco via power lines.

But PLDT considered that "it is not technically feasible to roll out the new technology in the country," according to Napoleon Nazareno, PLDT president.

"It looks like we may have to shelve the project for the meantime. Technically, it seems that its not optimal and efficient to use broadband over power lines in the present circumstances in the way the broadband and power are being consumed," Nazareno said.

Last year, the company official admitted there was a technical issue that they needed to resolve because they wanted to make sure that the service is reliable before it is commercially launched in the market.

The trial of the new technology started in August 2009.

The two companies have been testing BPL in specific geographical locations, several types of loads, different weather conditions and also in high-rise buildings and residential areas to know the viability of the technology in the country.

The BPL service is being tested in certain parts of Metro Manila, particularly in Malabon and in two or three multi-dweller units in Makati, including PLDT’s main building.

The BPL project will allow PLDT to save up to P8 billion in investments for broadband infrastructure. Instead of building new ones, PLDT will use existing Meralco poles and lines.

The PLDT and Meralco forged the partnership after PLDT acquired in 2009 a 20 percent stake in Meralco for P20.07 billion from the Lopezes’ First Philippine Holdings Inc. and First Philippine Utilities Corp.

However, Manuel V. Pangilinan PLDT chairman, said that instead of the BPL project, the company prioritized the launched of Smart grid technology as it is more feasible to adopt given that it has been used by other countries.

In a related development, PLDT wireless subsidiary Smart Communications Inc. said that it has expanded the promotional offerings for its tri-net circle — Smart, Talk ‘N Text, and Sun.

Among Smart’s promo packages is the Tri-Net 30 bundle that gives Smart prepaid subscribers 100 SMS to all networks, 5 MB worth of mobile Internet, and 50 call minutes to any Smart, Talk ‘N Text, or Sun number. The package is valid for one day.

"We have made it more affordable for Smart subscribers to keep in touch with their loved ones who are Sun subscribers. The money they get to save because of our offers can then be spent on other things that are important to them," Nazareno added.

Also ongoing is the Trio 20 promo which provides prepaid subscribers of Smart and Talk ‘N Text with 15 call minutes and 200 SMS to any Smart, Talk ‘N Text, or Sun number, all for just P20 a day.

Meanwhile, the Smart Sun Dual Plan 549 offers unlimited texts to Smart and Sun subscribers, two call hours to any Smart number, and four call hours to any Sun number. The monthly plan also comes with a free dual-SIM phone.

Smart subscribers who already enjoy superior call quality and nationwide coverage can also look forward to an even better consumer experience as the wireless leader is undertaking massive network transformation initiatives.

Smart and PLDT have invested P67.1 billion for network upgrades, which will result in superior voice connection, quicker SMS delivery, and enhanced data connection speeds.

lazydays
because they wanted to make sure that the service is reliable before it is commercially launched in the market.

Ha ha thats a first!

• Like 3
Ha ha thats a first!

And I hope it continues. Seriously. The past 2-3 weeks Bayantel the service we use has been out and I do mean completely out and no customer service. Then its back on and then its out again. I signed a contract so I am stuck but if PLDT and the rest of country followed that policy of making sure its reliable first it would be a God send for the country.

MattFromGA

Knowing the infrastructure and terrain, the best thing they could do is improve cellular and get 4g working well in as many places as possible. When done right, 4g can be the equal of a 10mb connection. The phone system and internet would both benefit.

Building internet via power lines in the Philippines?? LOL

• Like 1
Cipro

The DSL service I'm getting from PLDT here is decent, excellent compared with the Click! cable modem.

senseless

And I hope it continues. Seriously. The past 2-3 weeks Bayantel the service we use has been out and I do mean completely out and no customer service. Then its back on and then its out again. I signed a contract so I am stuck but if PLDT and the rest of country followed that policy of making sure its reliable first it would be a God send for the country.

Bayantel in cebu?

MattFromGA

I had Bayantel in Cebu as my first internet provider. It was a "business line" (LOL) and was expensive - something like 11k pesos a month for 2mb or something. I was a sucker and didnt know better at the time. They were the worst internet provider I had - anywhere.

I had Bayantel in Cebu as my first internet provider. It was a "business line" (LOL) and was expensive - something like 11k pesos a month for 2mb or something. I was a sucker and didnt know better at the time. They were the worst internet provider I had - anywhere.

Correct Matt. What really ticks me off with them is that their customer service if they do answer the phone and thats a big IF, they say there is no problems. Most of the time they don't answer the phone.

senseless

Wow, that's really a world of difference from manila. In manila they answer the phone in 2 rings, for business accounts you should have had a dedicated account manager.

I was thinking that like in manila bayantel would be better here in cebu than pldt/globe services. So far no problems in manila.

What are the problems that you 2 are having with the service? Disconnections?

Bayantel has been way better for me the last two years - better than pldt and globe.

And it's 5k pesos for a 4mbit , not 11k for a 2mbit as MattFromGA says.

Plus they assign an account manager to you - you just mail him / her directly.

What are the problems that you 2 are having with the service? Disconnections?

Senseless;

my service keeps dropping or no service at all for several hours, especially on the weekends it gets bad.

senseless

Senseless;

my service keeps dropping or no service at all for several hours, especially on the weekends it gets bad.

You get your land line service from Bayantel as well? Or are they using a third party such as globe or pldt to provide you last mile connectivity?

It's just a standard DSL connection correct?

You get your land line service from Bayantel as well? Or are they using a third party such as globe or pldt to provide you last mile connectivity? It's just a standard DSL connection correct?

Yes it is a dsl line. As for if they piggy back on pldt I don't know but they do use the telephone lines as I see a service guy checking the poles every few weeks because several of my neghbors use bayentel as well. I guess we just happen to be in an unlucky subdivision because before I switch we had pldt and they were solid. They were slow as mud and thats why we switched and bayantel is faster when its working but pldt was more reliable.

MattFromGA

I had bayantel in 2006, so I would imagine their rates would be more in line now. I dont think they had the 4mb option at the time. What blows my mind is that people actually keep paying them pesos 6 years later.