Sign in to follow this  
KennyF

Teaching your kids English in RP

iam

I agree with whoever said do not use baby talk. I don't use baby talk even when speaking to infants. I think using the correct words in the same tone of voice will have the same effect.

rainymike

I think it's a good idea, but maybe on an age specific basis. For my kids under the age of 10, a combination of school and home seems more than sufficient for basic english skills. I'd say that the 4 year old actually speaks more English than Visayan.

There seem to be some expat tutors teaching English and other subjects in my area. Rates are maybe a tad higher than the local rates.

On the other hand, as they get older maybe they will need more tutoring to learn the formal rules of English. Not really sure on this one. I seem to get by without being able to explain the difference between a gerund and a participle. I was a heavy reader when young and kind of picked up more of the rules that way than English class.

dc3driver

we all have our crosses to bear !! :P

Well when I am in Canada I have to put up with the""Canadian" French.............not exactly the same as Parisan French. But Quebec is wonderful anyway.

David_LivinginTalisay

Anzhelica-Kate has just turned 2. Because she was 6 weeks premature, she is perhaps not quite up to other 2 year olds (but might be in 6 weeks time?). However because I spend a lot of time with Anzhelica, and only speak to her in English, that is what language she is speaking. We limit the TV she watches to mostly English Language and the cartoons such as Upin & Ipin, Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, Team Umi Zoomy.

As the OP suggested, Native English Teachers can indeed earn Php30-40,000 per month, and perhaps a bit more with experience and TEFL /TESOL Certification. Some seem to prefer CELTA Certificate. Many, particularly abroad like China, want education to a Degree (or equivalent) and want to see copy of the Certificate. Some will accept thise with little experience of teching but the better paying ESL Teaching Jobs want 2 years experience as a minimum.

I signed up to receive [TEFL.com] ELT JobLink DAILY e-mails listing Jobs in selected Counties. There are an awful Lot of Jobs for Native English Speakers with a Degree, and better with TEFL Certificate and some experience.

Here is an extract from one such Job Vacancy:-

Qualifications Applicants will need to have a degree and a credible TEFL certificate. We are looking for native English speaking teachers from the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa. We can offer better terms to teachers with experience working with young learners or with experience working for English First.

Compensation --6500 RMB (1st 3 months) to 7000 RMB (thereafter) per month salary for new teachers. This is negotiable for teachers with young learner experience.

--Furnished accommodation near the school

--Round-trip airfares from and to country of origin worth 9000 RMB paid after six months and twelve months

--Visa and local residential permits arranged and paid for by the school

--Paid vacation: 10 working days plus all Chinese public holidays (usually 2 weeks per year)

--Performance bonuses of up to 6,600 RMB a year

--Comprehensive health insurance

--On-going teacher training and development

--Career opportunities at EF Wenzhou as well as within EF’s global network of language centers

--Free Mandarin Chinese lessons

Whilst it is possible to find ESL Job without TEFL Certification (usually when there are these English Camps and they suddenly need more Native Teachers in addition to Filipino Teachers who get paid less than 1/3 that of a Native English teacher.

It is lot easier if one has such training and certification. CELTA is preferred since there is no On-Line study, one has to attend the course for 120 hours and pass the assessments to get the CELTA certificate. TESOL can be done via the internet and there are places here in Cebu that offer such. 4 week Course is $1,500 (but sometimes discounted).

If I had the money I would go on such Course.

towboat72

children are sponges and will absorb

towboat72

not sure what happened there with the first post .but children are very much into learning .my 7 year son spea ks very good english because that is how we talk so its easy for him .he talks to his mother in either or because that is how she tought him to speak.i think it is very important to keep his language as part of his heratage. i also ask that when the 3 of us talk i ask that it be english so i can understand.

its really funny because he is teaching me his language and he gets frustrated with me when i have trouble learning from him .any thing over 3 words im in trouble .

he will ask about diff words going from cebuna to english

ozboy

I have 9 grandchildren all under 9, all growing up next door to each other in the wifes barangay. My wife is excellent in English all thru self learning n reading having single handedly raised n educated 3 sons when the husband deserted her. Unfortunitely none of these guys can speak any english and seem to be stuck in this irresponsibility cycle as to their kids.

After much boundary raising we will only allow 3 older girls spend their weekends with us plus a semi adopted girl 4 who has a learning disability n its my crusade to help her as we are now inseparatable, she loves her Daddy so much n lives with us.

Anyway i have tried to make the parents realise the kids need to learn English if they hope to have any future but it does not compute. What we have done is bought a large whiteboard n pens, books etc n condition for the kids is they must spend at least 1 hour a day learning English basics. its great my wife is able to use both languages as a teaching method.

i stay in the background as the kids are too shy with me to open up. I think things are looking promising but i hope they dont lose it when all they speak is visaya at home.

• Like 1

lazydays
Tagalog still has her perplexed, but she will pick it up

Wouldn't worry about the Tagalog its compulsory teaching in schools anyway.

caloy

A lot of kids in private schools have a harder time in their Filipino subject than their English subjects. Cebuanos are generally better in English than speaking in Tagalog. Tagalogs even make fun of Bisaya folks if they speak the Tagalog language. :)

Paul
We limit the TV she watches to mostly English Language and the cartoons such as Upin & Ipin, Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, Team Umi Zoomy.

I have heard some lame excuses for wanting to watch cartoons. David, we know it is you who really wants to watch them. :lol:

A lot of kids in private schools have a harder time in their Filipino subject than their English subjects. Cebuanos are generally better in English than speaking in Tagalog. Tagalogs even make fun of Bisaya folks if they speak the Tagalog language. :)

Cebuano's should be making fun of the Tagalogs, because most cannot even speak Cebuano. :P

Hope you are well, Carlo. It's been a while since I have seen you, man.

David Spicer

Wouldn't worry about the Tagalog its compulsory teaching in schools anyway.

Since her mother is fluent in both, I'm by no means worried.

David Spicer

This is far from my experience here on Cebu. Since most here speak Cebuano and Tagalog fluently, they make fun of any Filipinos here that can not speak Cebuano.

David_LivinginTalisay
We limit the TV she watches to mostly English Language and the cartoons such as Upin & Ipin, Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, Team Umi Zoomy.>

I have heard some lame excuses for wanting to watch cartoons. David, we know it is you who really wants to watch them.

Well clearly you have NOT watched mucany classy Educational Cartoons then Paul?

Upin and Ipin is based on Moslem Twin young children, living in Malaysia, so Anzhelica gets exposed to some different cultures that involve FASTING etc

Nei How Kei Lan (that I forgot to mention), teaches Anzhelica some Chinese as well as English

Nei How, or Neimen How as Hello to an Individual or to a Group

Xie xie or Xiè xie nǐ is Thank You

Zài Jiàn! is Goodbye

Anzhelica knows these Paul, do you?

With Dora the Explorer and Diego Garcia, she learns some Spanish as well as English, as well as Counting, and Maps, deductions and the finer points of making friends and influencing people!

In Team Umi Zoomy, Anzhelica learns colors, shapes, patterns and numbers.

OK so I am also learning a bit more Chinese and Spanish also, as well as some time with Anzhelica.

I missed out on that with my Daughter kim! I had to leave home in the UK in the dark in Winter to travel to London from Christchurch or Hinton Admiral Station @6:00am, and the family all asleep.

By the time I got home @ 9pm, it was dark and my daughter was asleep (as was my son Paul also).

So I spent much less time with my daughter Kim especially.

At least with my son Paul I got to spend time with him before he was born and for 3 months after. Then when posted abroad with Cable & Wieless to Bahrain, the working day was 7am to 2pm, so had every ofternoon with Paul (apart from 1 afternoon per week, to get Thursday Afternoon and Friday off).

So I spend some time with Anzhelica, watching the cartoons together. Even if she sitting watching from her little chair I am usually in the room with her so can add comments and encourage her to do the actions, songs and dances and applause when she does them well.

I think I might have an issue, with anyone who has a problem with that?

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay