New Computer ~ What Else Do I Need To Get

• Admin (Retired)
broden

ok i never did feel totally comfortable with liquid cooling.. one little leak kills a lot of stuff

besides it's just not working properly at all. my cpu is running hot and seeing as it's sealed and is otherwise running as it should i can only assume somehting is wrong with the actual coolant used in it.. either way i decided to pull it

so i ordered

3 x ($11.99) COOLER MASTER R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 Blade Master 120mm Case Fan

1 x ($34.99) COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

and 1 tube arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

one of the extra fans will attach to the heatsink to make it push-pull and the other two will go on top inside the case

so that will be taken care of..

now on to the actual topic

i won't be getting any more stuff on here till i get the heatsink taken care of

but as of now i have

chrome

firefox

opera

iron

and of course i.e.

on this thing.. any other must haves?

other than that i got

pkzip

7-zip

adobe reader and flash

coretemp

speedfan

hijack this

malware bytes

microsoft security essentials

winamp

what else do i need? i'm sure i'll think of more but i don't want to miss anything either

i'll get diskeeper later

USMC-Retired

I use VLC alot. It keeps me from loading a million codec.

If not klite mega codec pack is an essential.

I like paint.net as my paint replacement.

Since the task bar does not show internet traffic. I use a simple program freeware

Networx

I also use Revo Uninstaller Pro. Really a gem to unistall programs.

More then that I am just using many of the standard features.

Keep in mind with all those fans comes the added benifit of dust bunnies. So you may want a simple cheese cloth filter to help prevent that.

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

yeah this case has some filters in it but not everywhere. usually i just blow it out once a month sometimes more often. but i may give that cheesecloth idea a run through

• Admin (Retired)
broden

oh hey on win 7 where is the startup stuff? like Steam it starts up when the computer starts up. my bad.. but now i'd rather it didn't.

speaking of steam. again till i get the heatsink dealt with not messing with the computer but i had already put left 4 dead 2 on it. and i played it for just a bit on the 60 inch led.

oh my!

my son went up to the tv and was just stunned

USMC-Retired

Just use Hijack this. Remove them.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Just use Hijack this. Remove them.

i want steam i just don't want it to run on startup

The Mason

You can still get to MSCONFIG the old fashioned way...sort of....Start > msconfig in the Search box.

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

Just a suggestion but you might find the Utility from Lalalys Everest Ultimate Edition a useful 'Tool' to monitor CPU Core Voltage, Cooling Fans, and Monitor Temperatures of HDD's, GPU Diode, CPU, and CPU Cores.

It also damn sight better than MS Device Manager.

Seems Lavalys have discontinued Everest and replaced it with AIDA64.

One can still find Downloads of Everest however (including Torrent copy)

Search for Everest.Ultimate.5.50.2127b.Portable.rar/ This can also be put on a Flash Drive and used on any PC.

http://softarchive.net/blogs/itopsoft/portable_everest_ultimate.253705.html

logo.png

EVEREST Ultimate Edition description

Streamlined Windows diagnostics, benchmarking and hardware monitoring software

EVEREST Ultimate Edition has been discontinued and has been replaced with AIDA64 Extreme Edition.

EVEREST Ultimate Edition is an industry leading system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for enthusiasts PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology.

During system optimizations and tweaking it provides essential system and overclock information, advanced hardware monitoring and diagnostics capabilities to check the effects of the applied settings. FPU, CPU and memory benchmarks are available to measure the actual system performance for comparing it to previous states or other PCs.

Furthermore, complete software, operating system and security information makes EVEREST Ultimate Edition a comprehensive system diagnostics tool that offers a total of 100 pages of information about your PC.

Hardware Information

Motherboard & CPU

Accurate low-level information about motherboard, CPU and BIOS, including chipset details, DMI enumeration, AGP configuration information, SPD memory modules list, DRAM timing information and CPU instruction set support.

Video adapter & monitor

Detailed information about the video adapter, video drivers and monitor, including DDC information, monitor serial number and supported video modes detection, low-level GPU details, OpenGL and Direct3D features list.

Storage devices

Information about all hard disk and optical disk drives, including IDE autodetection, S.M.A.R.T. disk health monitoring, ASPI SCSI devices list and partitions information.

Network adapters, multimedia, input devices

Exhaustive information about network adapters, sound cards, keyboard, mouse and game controllers, including NIC MAC address detection, IP and DNS list, network traffic monitoring, DirectSound, DirectMusic and DirectInput information.

Misc hardware

Information about PCI, PnP, PCMCIA and USB devices, communication ports, power management information, device resources list, printers information.

Software Information

Operating system

Detailed Windows information, including operating system installation date and product key, system services and system drivers list, process information, environment variables list, system folders list, system files and Event Logs content, AX and DLL files list, UpTime information.

Server and display

Information about network shares, users and groups list, logged on users list, account security settings, opened files list, fonts list and Windows desktop configuration details.

Networking

Large amount of information about networking status, remote access and mailing accounts, network resources and Internet settings. List of network routes, Internet Explorer cookies and history of visited web pages.

Installed software

Detailed information about installed programs, scheduled tasks and startup programs.

Security

Windows Security

Operating system security information including DEP (Data Execution Prevention) status, list of installed security patches and system restore status.

Security applications

Firewall, anti-spyware and anti-trojan software list. Anti-virus software information including virus database details.

Diagnostics

CPUID Panel

EVEREST CPUID panel to provide a compact overview on CPU, motherboard, RAM and chipset. Invaluable information on overclocked systems, dynamic refresh to support Enhanced Intel SpeedStep and AMD Cool'n'Quiet technologies.

Hardware monitoring

Sensor information including system, CPU and GPU temperature, fan status, CPU, GPU, AGP and DRAM voltage monitoring, S.M.A.R.T. disk health status. Support for Corsair Xpert memory modules.

Sensor icons

Sensor icons feature to display actual system temperature and voltage values on the System Tray.

CPU and FPU benchmarks

State of the art multi-threaded benchmark methods to measure performance of both old and brand new processors. References list to compare actual performance with other systems.

Memory benchmarking

Memory read and write speed, memory latency measurement to stress the memory and cache subsystem, including references list to compare actual performance with other systems.

Diagnostics

CPUID Panel

EVEREST CPUID panel to provide a compact overview on CPU, motherboard, RAM and chipset. Invaluable information on overclocked systems, dynamic refresh to support Enhanced Intel SpeedStep and AMD Cool'n'Quiet technologies.

Hardware monitoring

Sensor information including system, CPU and GPU temperature, fan status, CPU, GPU, AGP and DRAM voltage monitoring, S.M.A.R.T. disk health status. Support for Corsair Xpert memory modules.

Sensor icons

Sensor icons feature to display actual system temperature and voltage values on the System Tray.

CPU and FPU benchmarks

State of the art multi-threaded benchmark methods to measure performance of both old and brand new processors. References list to compare actual performance with other systems.

Memory benchmarking

Memory read and write speed, memory latency measurement to stress the memory and cache subsystem, including references list to compare actual performance with other systems.

Disk Benchmark module

Disk Benchmark module to measure performance of hard disk drives, optical disk drives (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray) and USB flash drives. Graphical overview of disk performance measured on different areas of the disk surface.

Tips & suggestions

Detection of possible hardware and software misconfiguration and compatibility issues.

Reporting

Report Wizard

Easy-to-use method to produce report files of the system, by either using pre-configured report profiles or custom selection of information.

Report formats

Three different report file formats: plain text, customizable HTML and the unique MHTML format. MHTML reports including icons are ideal for printing purposes.

Report e-mailing and printing

Built-in e-mail transfer client using SMTP, also support for MAPI and Outlook protocols. Instant report display and one-click printing capabilities using IE4 technology.

Here are some key features of "EVEREST Ultimate Edition":

Generic features:

· Low-level hardware information: 47 pages

· Software and operating system information: 45 pages

· Security related information: 6 pages

· DirectX information including Direct3D acceleration features

· Diagnostics module that simplifies troubleshooting

· Tweaking features

Benchmarking features:

· 13 benchmark modules to measure CPU, FPU and memory performance

· Benchmark reference results to compare measured performance to other systems

· Cache & Memory Benchmark Suite

· Hard disk, optical drive and flash drive benchmarking with RAID array support

Unique features:

· UpTime and DownTime statistics with critical errors counter

· Monitor Diagnostics to check the capabilities of CRT and LCD displays

· System Stability Test with thermal monitoring to stress CPU, FPU, memory, caches and disks

· Hardware Monitoring to monitor system temperatures and voltages on the System Tray, OSD, Vista Sidebar or Logitech keyboard LCD

· Temperature, voltage and fan RPM data logging to HTML and CSV log files

· Overheating, voltage drop, overvoltage and cooling fan failure detection

· High Definition Audio and OpenAL sound card details

· AMD Stream, Direct3D Compute Shader, nVIDIA CUDA, OpenCL GPGPU device information

· Smart Battery information

· Web links: IT portals, software and driver download

· Manufacturer links: product information, driver and BIOS download

· Hardware information database for over 121,000 devices

· Overclock information

· Fully localized user interface: 35+ languages

· No installation or setup procedure required

Requirements:

· Processor: Intel Pentium or later

· System memory: 32 MB or more. CPU, FPU and memory benchmarks require at least 128 MB system memory (CPU, FPU and memory benchmarks require at least 128 MB system memory).

· Required disk space to install: 20 MB

Limitations:

· 30 days trial<br>· Nag screen

USMC-Retired

David for me as always way more info then the average user could need. However EVEREST Ultimate Edition great software to have on any computer.

Justin Kredible
what else do i need? i'm sure i'll think of more but i don't want to miss anything either

A Microserf wireless Xbox 360 controller and the wireless receiver.

Skyrim.

Trust me.

:)

Cipro

Go to Steam Settings inside Steam and uncheck "Run on startup"

• Like 1
CardiacKid

How about some eye drops. While you're at the drugstore, pick up a wrist brace to delay carpal tunnel. And, last but not least, a 20 cup coffeemaker and a relief tube to send the used coffee on its way without having to get up from the PC. Hope you enjoy it , a rig like that is a dream here in P.I.

• Like 2
afmayer
Hope you enjoy it , a rig like that is a dream here in P.I.

Are you sure about that? Here is a picture that was posted about his new system and it looks a little old to me... is that an XT case and dot matrix printer I see?

post-7379-0-49767300-1332243062_thumb.jpg

Edited by afmayer
  • Like 1
USMC-Retired

That is an Astro 8086 XT IBM Clone and Broden lookin dapper in his younger days.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

That is an Astro 8086 XT IBM Clone and Broden lookin dapper in his younger days.

yeah that was before i really let myself go