Sign in to follow this  
Fish Sandwich

Window AirCon Freon Recharge Kit

Fish Sandwich

Today I was quoted P2500 to clean and charge (freon) my window aircon unit. The fan blows, but the air is no longer cold. The guy took it to his shop, found a small leak, braised it, and charged me P250 for the service call (since I didn't want to pay the P2500). No complaints as this all happened in one day...one day it's cold, the next it isn't. So, a leak makes sense, especially since the thing was somewhat jumpy when the compressor kicked on.

My first question is whether anyone thinks that quote is too high? If Yes, then do you know of anyone or anywhere that's reasonable?

Does anyone know where I can find one of those recharging kits for it (and possibly the cost), so I can do it myself? I'd rather do this so I don't have to take it anywhere as that might be a little hard on a scooter. :)

Help, it's getting hot. Thanks!

USMC-Retired

Windows aircons are not designed to be recharged there is no valve on the low or high side to determine the amount of freon in the system. They must cut the system and then place at least a valve on the low side to put freon in. However without accurate measurement of the amount of freon in the system it could be overcharged (blowing hot) or undercharged (freezes up). Also there are added problems of leaks as this new valve can create issues. Depending on how well they cleaned the area and how well they brazed the joint.

Is 2500 to much. How much is a new one? Is putting off the inevitable for 6 months worth the money. Your course of action will not be a long term fix. As there was a reason it leaked to begin with and more then likely will spring another.

Edited by Norseman

Fish Sandwich

This aircon I have appears to be a hack job already as it has the valve you are referring to and the wiring isn't that clean either. The guy offers a 3 month warranty, but ultimately, I'm in total agreement with you as this aircon appears ancient, the compressor is rusted at the bottom, the fins are all jacked up, smells like fish tank, etc.. P2500 is a quarter of the way to a new one. I guess I was hoping someone would have a $2 fix.

I'm not sure how more efficient new models are, but my other thought was that I might be able to make the money back in efficiency savings too.

USMC-Retired

I lived in Pardo with one window unit. I ran that unit at night only. My electric hovered around 4500. Today I have two brand new A/C units and my electric hovers around 2500. I also run my A/C twice as much and have electric for a burner. I have not changed my habits just the A/C. The savings in my opinion could be huge.

CardiacKid
smells like fish tank, etc
That A/C could be making you sick. Remember Legionnaire's disease? If you have not cleaned it with bleach on a regular basis you might be spreading molds and viruses around every time you use it. IMHO you would be better off selling it to a repair shop or junk shop and buying new. Energy Efficiency Ratings (EER) are attached to all new units. Pick the highest number you can afford as the most efficient are usually the most expensive. Samsung,Panasonic,Hitachi, and Carrier make good units. I would steer away from the Chinese brands.

RogerDat

Greetings! I am an aircon repairman in US. I have been here 7 years.. P2500 is a good price. If it is corroded, you can get better value for a new unit. Go to ASIA HOME for the best prices on a new unit. keep in mind the size of the opening, if a cement surround, it can get very messy with dust to cut a bigger hole, so plan ahead.

good luck. where do you get your corn bread from?

take care.

musicman666

yeah i got ripped off when i had 3 units recharged .... waste of money as they were on their way out. I bought a couple of brand new ones and just gave the two old ones away since i had enough of the hassel of trying to maintain them.

• Like 1

Woolf

Greetings! I am an aircon repairman in US. I have been here 7 years.. P2500 is a good price. If it is corroded, you can get better value for a new unit. Go to ASIA HOME for the best prices on a new unit. keep in mind the size of the opening, if a cement surround, it can get very messy with dust to cut a bigger hole, so plan ahead.

good luck. where do you get your corn bread from?

take care.

I have found that you can get better deals at echo appliance, try to negotiate the price until they have to go ask the manager

A_Simple_Man
The savings in my opinion could be huge.

Me too.

When I upgraded, a while back now, my electric went from 5K to 3.5K pesos a month so the new unit was paid off in less than a year and its still running and still saving me money a year and a half later.

• Like 1

Fish Sandwich

That A/C could be making you sick. Remember Legionnaire's disease? If you have not cleaned it with bleach on a regular basis you might be spreading molds and viruses around every time you use it.

I think you're right as I'm allergic to mold, among other things, and I've been sneezing around a lot lately. Fortunately, I've only been in this place a short time and purchased everything as a package deal. At first I thought it was bad luck, but now I'm starting to think it's a blessing.

Go to ASIA HOME for the best prices on a new unit. ... where do you get your corn bread from?

I bought my LG fridge at Asia Home appliances and it seemed like the best deal. I had forgot about them, so I'll give them a try. Corn bread? That went over my head. :stick_poke:

I have found that you can get better deals at echo appliance, try to negotiate the price until they have to go ask the manager

Looks like there is only one echo appliance In Banilad?

After my previous post we went shopping around a bit at the bigger stores (S&R, Metro Gaisano & SM Hypermart). Anyone ever heard of a Matrix aircon? According to the SM Hypermart guy, the unit comes with a 3 year warranty, the parts are local (or the warranty center is?) and it has a Toshiba compressor. The thing I like about it, other than being cheap, it seems to be built with decent parts, has one of the highest efficiency ratings for it's size, and it has a compact design. So, the 1 hp unit is about the same size as a 1/2-3/4 Hp unit. The Matrix half hp unit was super tiny. I can fit the largest of models in my wall (22" x 15"), but I'm trying to think ahead if I need to move out or sell the thing. Anyway, I hate buying no name items, but the kid said if money were no object, the Matrix 1hp model is the one he would buy. I'm going to see what I can find online about it. Otherwise, I think I might stick to a name brand I know.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
When I upgraded, a while back now, my electric went from 5K to 3.5K pesos a month so the new unit was paid off in less than a year and its still running and still saving me money a year and a half later.
Anyone ever heard of a Matrix aircon?

My upgrade was FROM a 10K peso Matrix aircon TO a 17K peso Panasonic. With 1.5K per month difference in the electric usage I would never consider one of those cheap units again, unless i was only planning to use it on rare occasions.

• Like 1

Fish Sandwich

My upgrade was FROM a 10K peso Matrix aircon TO a 17K peso Panasonic. With 1.5K per month difference in the electric usage I would never consider one of those cheap units again, unless i was only planning to use it on rare occasions.

Wow, that was a fast response. Thanks, good to know, and now I don't even have to bother researching it on the net.

Woolf

I think you're right as I'm allergic to mold, among other things, and I've been sneezing around a lot lately. Fortunately, I've only been in this place a short time and purchased everything as a package deal. At first I thought it was bad luck, but now I'm starting to think it's a blessing.

I bought my LG fridge at Asia Home appliances and it seemed like the best deal. I had forgot about them, so I'll give them a try. Corn bread? That went over my head. :notallthere:

Looks like there is only one echo appliance In Banilad?

After my previous post we went shopping around a bit at the bigger stores (S&R, Metro Gaisano & SM Hypermart). Anyone ever heard of a Matrix aircon? According to the SM Hypermart guy, the unit comes with a 3 year warranty, the parts are local (or the warranty center is?) and it has a Toshiba compressor. The thing I like about it, other than being cheap, it seems to be built with decent parts, has one of the highest efficiency ratings for it's size, and it has a compact design. So, the 1 hp unit is about the same size as a 1/2-3/4 Hp unit. The Matrix half hp unit was super tiny. I can fit the largest of models in my wall (22" x 15"), but I'm trying to think ahead if I need to move out or sell the thing. Anyway, I hate buying no name items, but the kid said if money were no object, the Matrix 1hp model is the one he would buy. I'm going to see what I can find online about it. Otherwise, I think I might stick to a name brand I know.

I bought one the Matrix 1 hp units, it cools very well, BUT it is very noisy compared to my other unit I have that is a 3/4 hp Carrier.

The Carrier has a flat front, looks very nice, I bought that unit at echo, I got it for 14,100 at Echo, thats for the unit with remote control. If I had to buy another aircon I would take another Carrier

Edited by Woolf

fredanna

"AIRCONS" take a real beating over there. The air filter in our apartment unit needed cleaning (washable filter) once a week. Black water in the rinse. The poor window banger ran 24/7 for us and looked like never cleaned inside the cabinet. All black dust inside and who knows if the condenser coil ever flushed out. The owner probably never listened to any of my suggestions of MAINTENANCE. The same for the REF. We had to defrost it twice during our stay. (we stayed in this apartment 2 mos.) Worked very well, but not a frost free unit and the more that ice cakes up in the box, the less effecient it becomes.

The electrical system in the Phils will also shorten the life of electronics and appliances.

IF you own your place think about a split unit and measure the space to be cooled and get the proper sized unit. With lack of insulation in building construction or if you live on the top floor, the air conditioning load increases. You're fighting tropical weather.......very high humidity and temps always 75 and higher.............like now..........Summer in the Phils.........enjoy

A high SEER 1 1/2 or 2 hp unit might be what you need.

fred