Fees to pay when leaving Philippines...

afmayer

I know this has been discussed before but I can find no thread that puts it all together and am somewhat confused by conflicting information I have found.

My wife and I are headed back to the states very soon and I need to know what fees/situations I will experience at the Manila airport (or before) so I can plan my pesos accordingly. I have been here about 1.5 years under a tourist VISA. Here is the fee situation as I understand it.

1) My wife and I each pay terminal fee at NAIA (Manila) airport of P750.

2) My wife pays VAT of P1620 (travel tax?) for her ticket. This will be collected at the airport. Am I exempt from VAT as I have been living here under a tourist VISA (not 13a holder)? Or... do I have to pay this tax also as I have been living here for more than 6 months?

3) Since I have been living here longer than 6 months, I have to pay a fee of P2880 for a BOI clearance certificate. This can only be done at a BOI and I must bring 3 passport photos? This item is what is confusing me the most.

So... assuming I don't have to pay the P1620 VAT at the airport, I will need about P6000 total? Are there other fees or "land-mines" I don't know about?

Any help is most appreciated.

Your fees are correct. As for the exit clearance, I never needed one since I always entered as "balik bayan", with Filipina wife in tow and in possession of an NSO-certified marriage certificate. I do not yet have 13A visa status. If this is your case, you will not need an exit clearance.

You are not required to pay the P1,620 travel tax. It is only levied on pinoys and permanent residents (who fess up to that fact). It sure helps to have two valid passports.

Don't get me started on the Terminal use fee. If the Phils gov ever glums onto how to run a great airport profitably, like Hong Kong or Singapore, they will do away with the garbage fees for the sake of concessions (Gucci, Rado, Luis Vuitton, Dolce & Gabana, etc.). Alas, there is not even a coffee shop, not even a JolliBee at Mactan Cebu Infernal Airport and none that I could find at NAIA. I have seen cattle yards in Wyoming that were cleaner and better maintained. When at NAIA, try to get out of the way of collapsing ceilings.

• Like 1
afmayer

I have been here about 1.5 years under a tourist VISA.

I do not yet have 13A visa status. If this is your case, you will not need an exit clearance.

So... this means that I do not have to go to the BOI and get an exit clearance?

Yes, that is what it means IF YOU ARE MARRIED TO A FILIPINA and can prove it. If your tourist visa has expired, be prepared to pay a big fine. If in your passport the entry stamp says that you are a "balik bayan" (usually just noted as "BB" and a handwritten date one year less a day from date of entry), you are good to go.

Edited by Ungaro
hookedtothenet
You are not required to pay the P1,620 travel tax. It is only levied on pinoys and permanent residents (who fess up to that fact). It sure helps to have two valid passports.

Actually you are required to pay this fee, even on a tourist visa if you have been in the RP for more than 12mth's.

I don't think you will have to pay an exit clearance fee to the BOI though in your situation, I know that I left the RP a few days before the 12 mth period when I was on a tourist visa and didn't have to pay a exit clearance fee, but after the 12 mth's you might be required to but others might correct me on that.

David Spicer

As ususual, mileage may vary. But 1.5 years here as a tourist indicates to me that an ECC might be required from the BI if the ACR I-Card is expired. Also, the P1,620 Travel Tax will have to be paid. I would contact the BI before departure.

Edited by David Spicer
softail

When my wife and I left NAIA airport on the 2nd of this month the terminal fee was 550, I know there is talk of going back to the 750 not sure if it has happened after we left or not.

Doug

Woolf

I know this has been discussed before but I can find no thread that puts it all together and am somewhat confused by conflicting information I have found.

My wife and I are headed back to the states very soon and I need to know what fees/situations I will experience at the Manila airport (or before) so I can plan my pesos accordingly. I have been here about 1.5 years under a tourist VISA. Here is the fee situation as I understand it.

1) My wife and I each pay terminal fee at NAIA (Manila) airport of P750. Since feb 1st 2012 the terminal fee is 550 PHP

2) My wife pays VAT of P1620 (travel tax?) for her ticket. This will be collected at the airport. Am I exempt from VAT as I have been living here under a tourist VISA (not 13a holder)? Or... do I have to pay this tax also as I have been living here for more than 6 months? This is NOT VAT but as you indicated travel tax

3) Since I have been living here longer than 6 months, I have to pay a fee of P2880 for a BOI clearance certificate. This can only be done at a BOI and I must bring 3 passport photos? This item is what is confusing me the most. I hope that your extensions are up to date, and yes you will have to go to BOI to get the exit clearance, if you have stayed in The Philippines for more than 6 months since your last entered the country, bring 3 id photes 2 x 2 inch and they will have your finger print taken, as far as I remember the cost is 500 PHP

So... assuming I don't have to pay the P1620 VAT at the airport, I will need about P6000 total? Are there other fees or "land-mines" I don't know about?

Any help is most appreciated.

• Like 1
afmayer
2) My wife pays VAT of P1620 (travel tax?) for her ticket. This will be collected at the airport. Am I exempt from VAT as I have been living here under a tourist VISA (not 13a holder)? Or... do I have to pay this tax also as I have been living here for more than 6 months? This is NOT VAT but as you indicated travel tax

So... does this mean that I have to pay also? Or only my wife?

Woolf

So... does this mean that I have to pay also? Or only my wife?

Found it (took a while)

http://www.philembassy.se/tourist-information/travel-tax

Who Must Pay Travel Tax

• Filipino nationals
  • Permanent resident aliens
  • Non-resident aliens who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year.

This is what me and my wife paid about a year ago...

Me: 14 months on tourist visa;

- Exit clearance at BOI about P3000

- Travel tax at airport about P1600

- Terminal Fee, we left from Cebu, P550 i think

Wife: First time out on visa to Australia;

- Travel Tax at airpot about P1600

- Terminal Fee, we left from Cebu, P550 i think

• Like 1
afmayer

Found it (took a while)

http://www.philembas...tion/travel-tax

Who Must Pay Travel Tax

• Filipino nationals
  • Permanent resident aliens
  • Non-resident aliens who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year.

Thanks... that answered that question, but prompts another one. As I was confusing this with VAT, do I have to pay VAT on my ticket in addition to my wife's ticket?

Edited by afmayer
Woolf

Value Added Tax (VAT)

In the philippines VAT is normally included in the price, not like in the USA where there is sales tax that is not added until checkout.

Every time you go buy anything in the Philippines 12% VAT is included in the price

VAT and travel tax has nothing to do with each other

I think that it is a little different in the countries that have VAT, I think some may have VAT on airline tickets and some may not, really I do not know

• Like 1
Woolf

The cost for the ECC (exit clearance certificate) is 500 PHP. People that say something else must have paid for more than the ECC

The cost for the ECC (exit clearance certificate) is 500 PHP. People that say something else must have paid for more than the ECC

You're right. I think in my case mentioned above, I had to pay another extension at the same time as I was leaving a couple of days after expiry.