Windows 8

MattFromGA

I work in the software development industry and have been in it since CPM and 8" floppy drives. I worked with the big iron from IBM and used PCs where the 16k ram extension pack was an amazing increase of memory but required its own power supply.

Windows 8 is coming along to be a great OS. At its core is a leaner/faster version of Windows 7. Boot times are much faster, stability is there, and support for various hardware out of the box is amazing given its just a consumer preview (beta release).

The more I use Windows 8, the more I like its new metro interface, which threw me off at first because common things like closing an application had changed.

I'm somewhat sensitive to getting caught up in liking a product because I've grown comfortable with the familiar. I'm also very sensitive to taking on emotional decisions driven by marketing and conversation with peers who are driven by marketing. Believe me, the marketing and positioning done by companies like Apple, Microsoft, Oracle and others is a powerful influence. Once respected people buy into a position, lemming types are easily herded into the same mindset.

I believe Windows 8 tablets have a good chance of dominating the market over the next few years, but its still trying to predict the future and only fools truly believe they are relatives to Nostradamus. With Steve Jobs 6 feet under, its hard to say how sweet Apples future is. However, there is a strong backlash against Microsoft. I regularly meet tech people who just dont like the company and as a result they would never like anything Microsoft does. For those types, it really doesnt matter how good Windows 8 is. Because of the lemmings and herd mentalities, it is very possible that the better product looses out.

Some mention that Windows 8 wont be accepted in the business world, and in many cases that is true, but I think there is a fairly large group of industries that hunger for a Windows touch interface. Business touch interface changes the way you use your computer. Touch interfaces are a small paradigm shift in UI. While nothing new (how long have you seen waiters touching screens), the operating system didnt really make touch part of the core UI. Windows 8 changes that.

If you're not sure how much businesses will want touch, think about the CIO who has an iPad and then gets frustrated because they cannot touch their desktop/laptop LCD. I too find myself reaching out to touch my laptop LCD because I am growing used to direct manipulation from the tablets. I know that if I buy another traditional laptop or desktop LCD, I will be looking for touch screen. Even when you have a mouse, sometimes there is a desire to lift the arm up and touch it directly.

Once that kind of reaction happens to CIO and other decision makers, how long do you think it will be before they are desiring to upgrade and that trickles down.

Even if Windows 8 fails, it is an amazing time in UI. Hopefully even Microsoft haters can see that Microsoft has been good for innovation and competition and that we have all benefited from Apple and Microsoft trying to one up each other with product.

• Like 1
Experienced

I've always liked the Windows Phone 7 UI even though I've never owned one of the devices. Haven't been able to stand the bloat and crap in Windows size Vista... but looking forward to giving 8 a real workout even though I'm working pretty much exclusively on Macs these days.

MattFromGA

Another fascinating aspect of Windows 8 that could give it a big lift is its connection to the X-Box. Amazing to me is the fact that X-Box is the #1 gaming system right now. I was stunned when I read that. I know people who hate Microsoft and hate the Windows 8 metro ui who own x-box and love it. They will say they like the tile interface of x-box, but then dont like it for their desktop. I think its the bias.

Anyway, Windows 8 has an app called x-box connect. It will sync with the x-box over wi-fi and stream video/audio from the tablet to the x-box and I believe the other way around. I believe the app will also allow a Windows 8 tablet to act as a controller for an x-box game. Imagine a fancy UI for controlling a game on the tablet. A great example would be a flight game where the TV was the main visual and the tablet was the plane's dashboard and you use the accelometer from the tablet to control the flight path.

Apple does not have a game console and everything I've heard, neither Sony or Nintendo want to partner with Apple to compete with the Windows 8/x-box pairing.

This one feature could be the killer app that allows Windows 8 to get broad acceptance. I see x-box players spending big money on games, controllers and other things, so its not much of a stretch to see them buying a tablet just to be a controller in their game world. Those #s will be included in the install base of Windows 8 overll.

Also, for all those developers out there, let me ask you how easy it is to build an istore app for the iphone or ipad and get noticed? There are so many apps on the market now that its saturated. Windows 8 is a fresh start and a new app store. There is a VERY limited time to get a new app on the MS app store and have a chance to be seen. The value in that is so huge that there are already apps going up on the Windows 8 app store weekly even though it isn't fully released yet. Anyone who makes money writing software should be able to see the value of this situation.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

as soon as x box came out with the Kinect all sorts of people i knew either went out and got an xbox or started planning to

it's better than losing your grip and tossing a wii controller through your tv

SkyMan

You guys with your new fangled UIs oooooooooooo. I punched pallets of punch cards and that's the way I liked it. Oooooo touch screen ooooooooh. Hahahahaha Whatever happened to paper tape, huh?

When the release?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
Oooooo touch screen ooooooooh.

place i use to work had touch screen everything for a while.. then they got rid of every last one of them even on the time clocks.

they found out that when people are having a bad day or unhappy or late or whatever they would take it out on the touch screens.

and it was costing them a bundle replacing them more so than replace a keyboard anyway

that will probably change though eventually with better (hopefully cheaper over time)materials gorilla glass and whatever else they come up with

dennis1105

Having built and sold computers for a living for about 30 yrs of my life, I'm a tough customer to please....I'm using 64 bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview since Feb 29th and I also used the Developer Preview. I must say, it took a little while to get used to it but, I'm loving it now. I'm dual booting Windows 8 with Windows 7 and I haven't used Windows 7 since I installed the Consumer Preview. Everything that Windows 7 will do.. Windows 8 will do faster. It's very stable and it had all the drivers for my HP DV7-2170us Entertainment Laptop right out of the box. When the Preview first came out on Feb 29th, there were only a few apps for the metro side. Last count as of today, there are 97 apps to choose from. I recommend that everyone download the Consumer Preview and give it a spin. It's a great OS !! Microsoft got it right with Windows 7 but they topped themselves with Windows 8.

Dennis

SkyMan

So is the consumer preview free or what? Will it keep working after full release? How's this work?

MattFromGA

Consumer preview is free (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview), but it will expire. I'm not sure when that is, but Microsoft can change that later if they want. They extended the timeout from the developer preview released in Oct.

Cipro

I guess I should go yark it down from MSDN then. Maybe wait for the release version.

Davaoeno

You guys with your new fangled UIs oooooooooooo. I punched pallets of punch cards and that's the way I liked it. Oooooo touch screen ooooooooh. Hahahahaha Whatever happened to paper tape, huh?

When the release?

I agree ! Its been all downhill since Fortran !

Jack_be_nimble

When the release?

Paper tape ??? Yeah! I love my paper tape boot strap loader, my 12 bit addressing, my 8k of core memory, and my ASR33 terminal!!!!!

Don't need no steeeeenking Touch screen UI.

But, I should advance in time and at least get DOS 3.3

miles-high
Paper tape ??? Yeah! I love my paper tape boot strap loader, my 12 bit addressing, my 8k of core memory, and my ASR33 terminal!!!!!

Talk about progress! Our airplanes with state of the art flight management system which can land without using your hands still use 1.44 floppies to update the database, some use Zip discs or PCMCIA cards, which I am sure some younger members have never seen before…

http://dvice.com/arc...a-no-hand-1.php

B)

Cipro

You guys and your newfangled factory made bits; back in the day we made our own bits by hand and we were THANKFUL.