which philippine cities are disability-friendly?

mikejwoodnz

I wish I were crying wolf.. but I made a you tube video of my MRI. about 40% of my cerebellumis dead. I had it in dumaguete also, but then, it wasn't so bad. However, I will never need contant care.... in fact, I might be able to slow progression (through weight lifting excercise). There are no complications like other neurodegenerative diseases... my intellect, and mental health will never decline.

OK - CBD would be best but pollution may becomes another problem for you - so why not, while you are still ambient, travel about and find a suitable climate and location - then look for a partner/wife or maid/housekeeper would seem to cover all the bases. I have multiple disabilities, balance issues, upper arm amputee, laryngectomee,tracheostomy and mute, plus a wife :biggrin_01: not wheel chair tho, CBD is my choice.

Edited by mikejwoodnz
Jim Sibbick

Disabled here. (not service connected for anyone who knows im a vet).

Here are the ammenties I want: cool climate, lots of public transport.. in time I will, however, require someone to go out and get food for me.. like a wife..

I was considering Baguio.. but I found out it is polluted and crowded. What about the capitol of Palawan?

Contact Mike at Cebu on Wheels

http://cebuonwheels.com/

Download and watch my No Disability video. It may give you some ideas about living a disabled life in Cebu City

http://www.bigjimsph..._disability.wmv

(copy and paste as it won't be clickable)

My experience with disabled people in the Philippines is that Filipinos are usually willing to help out a stranger, for no reward. However, disabled facilities are virtually non existent.

For instance, some one must have told every shipping company that they have to provide disabled toilets. So, they all chose an existing toilet and stuck a disabled sticker on it. So for most of these toilets, the only disabled people who can use them are mentally disabled.

I have only visited Davao City once but found it cooler and cleaner than every where else I have been in the Philippines. I mentioned this to a Filipino living in Davao City who used to live in Cebu City. He agreed.

Instead of a wife, consider a live in helper. Cost will be up to your negotiations skills.

Regards: Jim

Headshot

OK - CBD would be best but pollution may becomes another problem for you - so why not, while you are still ambient, travel about and find a suitable climate and location - then look for a partner/wife or maid/housekeeper would seem to cover all the bases. I have multiple disabilities, balance issues, upper arm amputee, laryngectomee,tracheostomy and mute, plus a wife :lol: not wheel chair tho, CBD is my choice.

CBD?

mikejwoodnz

CBD?

Central Business District - like Makati for example - this is generally the type of area I chose to live and stay in because it has the most facilities and is user friendly :dance:

JamesMusslewhite

I could suggest Surigao city, small, airport and ferry terminals close, plenty of open access restaurants, land prices are reasonable, growing infrastructure, plenty of banks and medical facilities, several close beaches, and very warm and helpful expat community and locals. It is becoming a small town with a big town feeling about it, but everything is still very close to each other. There is also a small immigration office located here. It may well be worth a look, because it does not have all the hassles, long drives, congestion, and filth of the bigger cities.

Plus it is a beautiful landscape with easy access to big fishing

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1

You asked about Puerto Princesa, Palawan, the cleanest and greenest of the Philippines' major islands. That is where we would live but the land speculators have driven real estate prices through the sky. You will pay 2 - 3x what it would cost you to live in Cebu and 3 - 4x the cost of more remote provinces.

If you are looking for cool climate, you are in the wrong country.

I have not found anyplace in the Phils that is handicapped friendly. Smooth sidewalks with wheelchair ramps? What are sidewalks? Oh, I know -- that is where the motorcycles drive when the street is too congested. Or where the outdoor BBQs, nativity scenes and vulcanizers are.

Thailand and Vietnam are far better (climate and access) but visa status is harder to get.

I hope this helps.

smokey

Contact Mike at Cebu on Wheels

http://cebuonwheels.com/

Download and watch my No Disability video. It may give you some ideas about living a disabled life in Cebu City

http://www.bigjimsph..._disability.wmv

(copy and paste as it won't be clickable)

My experience with disabled people in the Philippines is that Filipinos are usually willing to help out a stranger, for no reward. However, disabled facilities are virtually non existent.

For instance, some one must have told every shipping company that they have to provide disabled toilets. So, they all chose an existing toilet and stuck a disabled sticker on it. So for most of these toilets, the only disabled people who can use them are mentally disabled.

I have only visited Davao City once but found it cooler and cleaner than every where else I have been in the Philippines. I mentioned this to a Filipino living in Davao City who used to live in Cebu City. He agreed.

Instead of a wife, consider a live in helper. Cost will be up to your negotiations skills.

Regards: Jim

this is an assisted living place in cebu and 4 more of them in manila... i think its called living care try to google assisted living cebu... might be cheaper then a wife ...

Edited by smokey

Thanks guys.

Lets forget the disability--

What kind of food is available in Baguio? I read they grow blueberries. How about potatos? garlic? I assume no quinoa? Can I order things off the internet? There are aspects of colder countries that I like-- I like the seasons. I think there is biological/ evolutionary aspect-- my ancestors evolved to be in northern Europe... my body expects seasons. So maybe I'll just live there a few years. So how is baguio's air pollution compared to Cebu or Dumaguete?

smokey

Thanks guys.

Lets forget the disability--

What kind of food is available in Baguio? I read they grow blueberries. How about potatos? garlic? I assume no quinoa? Can I order things off the internet? There are aspects of colder countries that I like-- I like the seasons. I think there is biological/ evolutionary aspect-- my ancestors evolved to be in northern Europe... my body expects seasons. So maybe I'll just live there a few years. So how is baguio's air pollution compared to Cebu or Dumaguete?

them 7 peso rides everyone braggs about and the cheap taxi come with a price.... smog

them 7 peso rides everyone braggs about and the cheap taxi come with a price.... smog

Is it still 7? I think it was 6.5 in 2008.

questsea73

This is a 1 shot in a million suggestion. If you get around to seriously considering Thailand rather than P.I. and a cool climate is your top priority, you should consider LOEI. I have never seen this town/small city publicized on websites but I was on a bus tour from Chiangmai some 10 years ago and the tour bus stopped at this Resort just for dinner which was a simple buffet laid out on tables outdoors.....and I thought I was going to freeze before I got out of there....the temperature was so much different from the daytime temperature. Major fog also. I believe it has a reputation locally for being extremely moderate/cool for S.E.Asia. I haven't googled it for info now but my impression is that it is quite a small place with limited housing to meet foreigner standards, undoubtedly little or no infrastructure for the disabled. But thought I would mention it....

It's in northcentral Thailand, as I recall on one of the major roads.

Ken