which philippine cities are disability-friendly?

Disabled here. (not service connected for anyone who knows im a vet).

Here are the ammenties I want: cool climate, lots of public transport.. in time I will, however, require someone to go out and get food for me.. like a wife..

I was considering Baguio.. but I found out it is polluted and crowded. What about the capitol of Palawan?

Frosty;

I can only tell you about Manila. Here they do have wheel chair side walks, the few that are. I can only guess that if mobility is an issue for you then you should look at the big cities. You can also try some of the government sites but be forewarned that they are not updated on a regular basis and the staff rarely are aware of the services that they provide.

smokey

Here are the ammenties I want: cool climate, lots of public transport.. in time I will, however, require someone to go out and get food for me.. like a wife..

I was considering Baguio.. but I found out it is polluted and crowded. What about the capitol of Palawan?

if you think baguio is bad wait till you see the rest,,, cool climate is baguio..

What other cities are cool? I went to Valentia (near Dumaguete) Negros Oriental.. which has a cool reputation.. it is too remote though.

junglelove38

How about Tagaytay? Aside from there and Baguio, most of your cooler climates are in remote, undeveloped areas and won't serve your needs. GL.

Headshot

What other cities are cool? I went to Valentia (near Dumaguete) Negros Oriental.. which has a cool reputation.. it is too remote though.

When you say you are disabled, what exactly does that mean? are you in a wheelchair? Few streets in the Philippines have wheelchair-worthy sidewalks...even Manila metro and Cebu City metro. If they build a sidewalk here, somebody will take the opportunity to push their business out into the space. Pretty soon, everybody is walking in the street, regardless of whether or not they built sidewalks. There are very few exceptions to that. Most malls are handicapped accessible, but even there, it might be a struggle to board elevators because, even though there are signs giving handicapped priority, nobody really does. They could rush past you to get on the elevator first and not leave you any room. So...if you are in a wheelchair, I would say that the Philippines would present quite a challenge.

Temperature in the tropics is a factor of altitude. Of course, as you have seen, there are very few real cities up in the mountains. Most cities are on the coast or at least down in the valleys. That isn't to say that you couldn't live up in the mountains near a city. Up on top of Mt Mannuggal, which is on Cebu (between Cebu City and Balamban), they grow strawberries, which require a bit cooler weather than is typically found here. It is mist forest (or cloud forest) up there, where it is very rare to not have clouds sitting right on the mountain. It takes 45 minutes to an hour to get from there to Cebu City. Unfortunately, in places like that, if you need handicapped accessible, you will need to have it built to your specifications. It is even more remote than Valencia (small villiages), but has good access to a big city.

Even if you decided to live in a city here, and live air-conditioned, the chances that you would find wheelchair accessible apartments are slim.

David Spicer

We visited Baguio City is Feb 2006. I remember being told the same thing about the pollution, but coming from Cebu I just didn't see it. It was about 78 in the afternoons and 50/60's at night. My wife nearly froze to death.

JamesMusslewhite

Baguio will still be the best place due to roadway accessibility, available medical care, infrastructure, and entertainment. Now you can live anywhere you wish, but you will destined to be confined to your homes and transportation ACs. The Philippine is tropical (almost as hot as South Texas year round), wet, often dirty and mostly third worldly. if you are trying to get by on the cheap, then Baguio.

SkyMan

As for public trans, you're likely limited to taxis and they are small. If a taxi is ok you 'might' be able to get in a trike or jeepney but that's about it. If the regular taxis are too small there some small vans & you should probably get the txt numbers of some of those. You could hire them for a day if you needed.

Edited by SkyMan
senseless

Here are the ammenties I want: cool climate

Try korea. You're not going to find a cool climate here. Just went outside today and lost 5lbs in sweat; and today is a cool day.

The only place here you're going to find a cool climate is in the mountains. Maybe baguio as the others have suggested.

Edited by senseless
mikejwoodnz

hmmm - "Leo" - are you crying wolf again ?

• Like 1

Another thought:

Frosty do you require constant care if not now but fairly soon? If you do then I would not recommend the RP. Not unless you live in Pasig, that is where the airport is as well as St. Luke. Pasig is very modern with roads, facilities, etc.. But its not cheap either. So unless you can afford it I would look at as some has said Korea or even Japan because they are modern and they have services that you do not have to worry if you can access them.

Edited by Cary
questsea73

You might get better response on the site CebuonWheels.com, an excellent site for the disadvanted physically. Yes, we do need more details to be helpful; we assume you mean wheelchair and I have seen some "very real and honest"(good) answers already here. I can not personally give you a meaningful answer because I have only visited PI several times and not in the last 12 years, although soon relocating there and being more attuned to a personal rather than physical disability (lonewolfism) wouldn't have picked up on the disability attractive places.

Basically, there are almost no provisions in 3rd Worldish SouthEast Asia for someone in your situation.....other than the fact "If you have money and are willing to spend it nothing is impossible". There may be disability-equipped vans available on special order out of Manila ???? ((very, very expensive, ditto importing one yourself)). There are special disability houses you could have built to the specs available in USA with slight modification from Filipino architects...if you want to rent the land, etc. There are guys with faces/bodies/demeanors that resemble pitbulls available in all countries to drive you and ensure you get on the elevator first in malls and highrises.

The closest probably to a place you are looking for in terms of physical inplace facilities that acknowledge the existance of the disabled and express the willingness to spend at least a little money on making places accessible to wheelchairs in SEA would be Singapore. I am guessing here as it has been 12 years since I was there. Singapore has the heat/humidity problem also.

One of the last times I was in Bangkok I stayed at a 4 story pension just off Sukhumvit Rd and I was on the second or third floor. The guy in the next room to me had lost his lower leg somewhere along the line....otherwise a sturdy specimen of USA manhood. He went up those steps not much slower than I did. So, too, it depends on your tolerance for discomfort. There's plenty of it in S.E.A.

No social network here except the local family, but Filipinas in my view support their reputation for adaptability and compassion for a guy who deserves their attention. But.....

Pay attention to what I told my son...."If you're a white foreigner, especially an American, bring money because without money you're nobody in the 3rd World."

With money, disabilities diminish greatly in importance.

I lived 4 years in Thailand....same problems as posters have noted....except I think Thai's would be more polite in the elevator example.

If you relocate to SEA without a great deal of money and the willingness to "make your own environment" in a condo, for example, you will have major hardships unless you can do without many of the things people in the West consider necessities. I see you have lived in P.I. before so you probably know what I mean.

Ken

• Like 1

progressive neurodegenerative disease -- cerebellar atrophy, although the exact type/cause is not known. No treatment. I can walk fine now, a bit clumsy.. but my cerebellar neurons keep dying... "eventually" i might be wheelchair bound... no one knows how long that is. I will come back to the us if it gets that bad. It is genetic.. my mom has had it for like 25 years. Nothing is wrong with the leg muscles.. just balance. It seems to only effect the legs.

one possibility is that a gene that makes a protein that works in the calcium ion channels between neurons is mutated...

Edited by Frosty

I wish I were crying wolf.. but I made a you tube video of my MRI. about 40% of my cerebellumis dead. I had it in dumaguete also, but then, it wasn't so bad. However, I will never need contant care.... in fact, I might be able to slow progression (through weight lifting excercise). There are no complications like other neurodegenerative diseases... my intellect, and mental health will never decline.

Edited by Frosty