Any i3 notebook should be fine for your purpose. I suggest getting one with dedicated video memory rather than shared system memory.

Interesting to see there are still XP sp3 devotees out there. Kinda reminds me of when Win 3.1 came out and all the DOS gurus complained for years.

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• KennyF

• USMC-Retired

• Mang Kanor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any i3 notebook should be fine for your purpose. I suggest getting one with dedicated video memory rather than shared system memory. Interesting to see there are still XP sp3 devotees out there. Ki

I bet there are companies that still need to run CPM. I know there are companies that still use mainframes that use VM, MVS and even TPF. Sometimes a company cannot successfully migrate. Over the y

USMC-Retired

Yes one with dedicated video memory is nice thing in a laptop.

You are looking for this:

nvidia-2.jpg

Or this

ati-radeon-logo-oct08.jpg

On the box.

KennyF
Interesting to see there are still XP sp3 devotees out there.

XP sp3 is still the dominant OS in the world.

Even after nearly 4 years it still has a bigger user base than 7.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

XP do at 48% of the Market and WIndows 7 at 36%. Yet in 6 months windows 7 will surpass XP and Vista is 7%. Mac and linux make up the rest. 6% and 2%. Then other making up less then 1%.

I did round up and down so if its over 100 understand.

Cipro

XP sp3 is still the dominant OS in the world.

Even after nearly 4 years it still has a bigger user base than 7.

KonGC

XP do at 48% of the Market and WIndows 7 at 36%. Yet in 6 months windows 7 will surpass XP and Vista is 7%. Mac and linux make up the rest. 6% and 2%. Then other making up less then 1%.

I did round up and down so if its over 100 understand.

Depends on how you count, if you go by web traffic, reported installs, etc. but if you include PCs in use by businesses that haven't upgraded hardware yet, XP is till pretty popular. I was getting a little Netware work in 2008 too, doesn't say anything except corporate accountants are tightasses.

If you look at what the general public is using then it's 7 since last fall.

No one in their right mind is getting a new PC with XP on it this year, and that is the on topic point of the day.

David Spicer

today i went to cost co to look for a lap top for my wife who likes u tube and just looking at the internet there are 100sss of models.... 4 GB . 6 GB 8 GB.. then comes the 350,,,500,,,750,, HD , etc... and the prices also go from 600 to 1,200 us... if i am only going to use it to look on line and down load u tube which is a good set up ... cost co has a Dell 6 GB memory and 500 GB for 650 dollars and they have a 8 GB and 750 GB also for 620 dollars which is a better unit.. HP unit

I would check Wal-Mart. They are becoming increasingly hard to beat, especially on refurbished items, which are like brand new. IMHO they are better than brand new because they have been thoroughly tested:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-17.3-Pavilion-g7-1277dx-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Dual-Core-E-3300M-Accelerated-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/19852466

miles-high

windows 7 is a good OS

I wouldn’t make such a categorical statement… it all depends what you would use your computers for… At the moment, most, if not all of the training/simulation programs from Boeing (including their training, charting subsidiaries), Honeywell, Rockwell, etc., etc. only work on XP’s… Many have asked if they would rewrite their programs… and their answers are they are working on it… it’s been 4, 5 years now…

However, if your purposes of using computers are web browsing and email, anything will do… IMHO

MattFromGA

I recently bought an Asus laptop refurbished on ebay. It went so well that I bought a refurb acer w500 tablet the same way. Both purchases were tax free and shipping free as well as a solid 25% less than new from a store walk-in.

Given the general requirements for the laptop, I would say you should focus on overall size. Does your wife desire a large screen, which goes along with a bulkier laptop, or does she prefer a small footprint that will fit a given space or lifestyle.

You might even consider a used mac air. They get rave reviews and are easy to get along with for the basic tasks you've mentioned. If you have or are planning an iphone or ipad purchase the mac air might be the better choice. A friend recently went to buy a new laptop and mentioned the air prices are moving inline with some of the pc prices.

• Admin (Retired)
broden
I recently bought an Asus laptop refurbished on ebay

i like big company refurb stuff. i buy it when i can.

i look at refurb this way when they make a new item they turn it on turn it off see that it works and ship it out

when they refurb an item they have to give it a more thorough check through to make sure it works

Cipro

I wouldn’t make such a categorical statement… it all depends what you would use your computers for… At the moment, most, if not all of the training/simulation programs from Boeing (including their training, charting subsidiaries), Honeywell, Rockwell, etc., etc. only work on XP’s… Many have asked if they would rewrite their programs… and their answers are they are working on it… it’s been 4, 5 years now…

However, if your purposes of using computers are web browsing and email, anything will do… IMHO

I don't know, honestly, how you would write a user application that would run in XP and not 7, but whoever managed that needs remedial help. I strongly suspect it runs fine but is not SUPPORTED. The other thing would be explicit restrictions on the installer, but the application is fine.

Any idea why they claim this?

Mac OS X is the best OS

Best for what? Most tests show CS5 running faster (marginally) on the hottest Win7 box you can get rather than a Mac, and for games, forget about it. For office work and web/email .... anything will work.

Mang Kanor

i only said its good not best.

companies use xp because their own system application supports the old xp and i guess they havent revised it, also it costs a lot to revise and install a new OS, but for normal use and/or some other stuffs like CAD/CAM etc windows 7 is good.

my previous company migrated to XP very very late because of the cost of buying and installing new OS, why would the company spend on a OS when the old one is still capable of running the applications we need for our work? i guess thats the only reason why most companies still havent migrated to windows7. IMHO thats just me

MattFromGA

I bet there are companies that still need to run CPM. I know there are companies that still use mainframes that use VM, MVS and even TPF. Sometimes a company cannot successfully migrate. Over the years I have seen a few big companies try to replace a "legacy" system with a new team of hired guns only to fail after spending way more than they anticipated.

Its no surprise about XP either. I know of one prominent company that also continues to need to use IE6 because they cannot get the sites security options to work in any other browser, including newer versions of IE.

However, these are isolated cases. Nobody on this forum has ever had direct content with even .0000001% of all companies that use computers. To think your experience with a very small subset of businesses reflects a trend is misguided. Even reading articles that claim to know industry trends that quote usage numbers seem somewhat fuzzy.

Anyway - You cannot even buy a legit copy of win XP and to somehow suggest it is the right choice for someone looking to buy a new laptop is silly.

If you really want to get a new laptop, get Windows 7 or a Mac.

Edited by MattFromGA
  • Like 1

get at least an i5 with win7 for it to be somewhat future proof. win7 is great!