buying a tablet?

KennyF

I for one am not suggesting that these Chinese tablets are the be all and end all of computing as we know it.

What they excel at is video as in playing back AVI files, audio as in mp3, and as portable as you can get and still have a decent sized screen.

Watching a movie in bed on a 10" screen is just like viewing it on a regular 50" screen because you're just that much closer.

KonGC

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• KennyF

• Mang Kanor

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can say that 100% I am satisfied with my Android 3.2 Gingerbread.   Now let me say this. I went and tried all the cheapo Chinese Versions of tablets. They are junk.... If you sit a Samsung or

I have a 7" and 10" Android and I have a windows 8 tablet. My best recommendation right now is to get a refurbished Acer W500 for about $380 (http://www.ebay.com/...dmpt=US_Tablets). That is how I g

It depends what you want it to do. I have both 7" ($100) and 10" ($200) Chinese tablets running Android 2.2 and 2.3 respectively.   Both have wifi and I've used them in airports so that's no proble

Posted Images

MattFromGA
i tried it on my ipad2 and its pretty fast considering I tethered it using my iphone... it was less than 1 min

I am not referring to load time, but performance of the fancy background image flipping and mapping going on in http://www.newzealand.com/us/.

When you scroll, the background moves somewhat like a flip book movie. The scene changes from one part of New Zealand to another and the Google map changes to reflect the region the images are from. With a fast CPU, grabbing the scrollbar thumb and scrolling is an amazing effect. With a slow CPU, the site almost sucks, and some will say it does suck because of that.

I wasn't saying all tablets are slow, but that a low end cheap tablet that is slow is not the bargain a newbie buying might think it is. Their user experience will be less than optimal, and they may turn away from tablet all together due to that bad experience. A $500+ high end iPad is far from the low end slow tablets :)

Mang Kanor

as ive said, it was pretty fast on my ipad... i dont know with those android tablet armies lol

Whilst NOT Android 4, this aPAD, with the larger 10.1" Screen, is still under $200 and has built in GPS

Thanks David I've ordered one!

Spec looks OK!

David_LivinginTalisay

What about overall speed and battery life David? How does it compare in those areas?

Thanks,

Bill

The ibex FlyTouch 5, is an updated replacement of the FlyTouch 3

ibexflytouch4capacitive.JPG

As you can see the FlyTouch 4 runs Android 2.2, so might not offer Skype Video Calling (without Rooting and/or Custom ROM?).

There are built in 3G versions and it sports an FM Radio. But it costs more than the FlyTouch5, and if there is not any WiFi Hot Spot, I would use my Nokia N95 to connect to 3G/3.5G Network and run my own personal WiFi HotSpot via Application on my Nokia so the Tablet could connect via WiFi to my N95 to its connection to such 3G/3.5G Network.

The Flytouch 3 has been discontinued.

The Upgraded iBex Flytouch 5 has been released. The Flytouch 5 runs on a faster 1GHz Cortex A8 Cpu and has Android 2.3 instead of 2.2. There will be custom ROMs for the Flytouch 5 released soon.

Here are the Review Thread and Blog Post for the Flytouch 5:

Flytouch 5 Buying Guide

Review Thread

Below are Authorized resellers for the iBex Flytouch 4, And Flytouch 5 tablets:

1) ChinaGrabber:http://chinagrabber.....aspx?find=ibex

2) Flytouch4.com:http://www.flytouch4.com/rokquickcart

3) Gadget Greats:Link

4) Ebay Stores:

USA Store 1 http://www.ebay.com/...os260288/m.html

Ebay Store2

4) IG8.COMhttp://ig8.com/index.php?subcats=Y&t...roducts.search

5) PricedinChina.com:http://pricedinchina....aspx?find=ibex

Make sure to check out the real or clone buyer guide if the site in question is not in the above list

Lastly, there are already many clones of the Flytouch 5 out. Make sure you order one with an IBex Packaging. Even though they have a smaller battery than the Flytouch3, the firmware has been upgraded and the battery is of higher quality so it still gets the same battery life as the Flytouch 3.

Fake Clones Exposed

Article 1

http://chinagrabber....-tablet-pc.aspx

............................................Flytouch 2, 3 ..........................................................................................iBex Flytouch 5

Processor sp........................4gb............................................................................................................ 4gb

Battery................................3-4hours......................................................................................................4-5 hours

2d games............................will play most 2d games smoothly, angry birds play very smoothly.............Play most 2d games smoothly, angry birds play v.smooth

3d games .........................light 3d games ..........................................................................................will play a lot more 3D games than superpad 3

movies ................................720p smooth playback in different format, will support some 1080p...........720p smooth in different format, 1080p plays v. smooth

touch panel .......................resistive(single point) ...................................................................................resistive (more sensitive to fingertip operation, 2 point touch)

internet speed ...................average .......................................................................................................fast

Flash .................................flash 10.1 .....................................................................................................flash 10.3

Android Market ..................supported .....................................................................................................supported

system interface speed ......very smooth system Interface with Launcher Pro installed. ...........................very smooth Default system Interface

USB ports .........................USB adapter ..................................................................................................2 Built-in USB port

Gps ...................................use external antenna.....................................................................................use external antenna (supplied)

...........................................slow to find satellite, not accruate, a pain to setup most of the time.............Faster to find satelite, more accurate.

Whilst there are other Tablets starting to offer Skype Video Calling, ​what I like is the Custom ROMS, and the capability to 'Root' this Tablet and Customize it, wit the Forum support.

Whilst doing so may invalidate the 1 year warranty, if it is tried and tested and you have the skill sets to follow and achieve such 'hacking' Mods, then why not?

Or wait 12 months before trying such, as I did on my Nokia N95 8Gb, when the Warranty had expired.

This is why I might go with such Android 2.3 Tablet, if it gives me what I want, as the Price is coming down, with the release of so many Android 4 Tablets now.

BUT most of these new Android 4 Tablets don't offer built in GPS, and no Bluetooth on most (or problematic, if it is fitted), so unlikely to be able to use my external Bluetooth WBT-201 GPS Logger.

vbulletin4_logo.png

Check out if the aPad you are considering buying, has

1. Received a favourable Review
  2. Cenuine Version as per the Review
  3. Supported on this apad.tv Forum (custom Roms/Rooted/Firmware Updates etc

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
Cipro

For $330 my Xoom has been perfect, and while it shipped with 3.x on it, it got regular OTA updates pushed down from the manufacturer and was one of the first to get 4.x, again transparently and OTA. The China device I have ... not so much. You get what you pay for sometimes.

I took my Apple version 1 Ipad with me to Cebu last July and it worked just fine through the WiFi in the house.

Cipro

I took my Apple version 1 Ipad with me to Cebu last July and it worked just fine through the WiFi in the house.

Of course, WiFi is WiFi, but try to get your AT&T locked iPhone/iPad to work properly on SMART. It can get unlocked and can get data and voice service, but a lot of the AT&T slickity-do features break. If you update it, you have to re-open it. Add to that the fact that I hate the idea of a cell phone I cannot pull (or replace) the battery on and I'm pretty damn happy with my Android phone.

The Google stuff works equally well everywhere in the world. When it updates, I have to search for ... nothing. You CAN buy an unlocked iPhone, if you want to pay for it. A lot. $650 lot.

Edited by Cipro
Mang Kanor

the thing with androids is they always keep on changing almost every quarter.. what is a great phone today will eventually be replace in just 3 months or so, resale value also is low compared to iphones.

KennyF

the thing with androids is they always keep on changing almost every quarter.. what is a great phone today will eventually be replace in just 3 months or so, resale value also is low compared to iphones.

Not so, you can still buy new phones running Android 2.2.

It's up to the manufacturer what version they need to run the phone.

And anyway, I doubt there are as many versions of Android as there are versions of iPhones.

Take a look at this deal, a 4.3 inch screen dual sim DELIVERED FREE for $115:00

"http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330651286800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649"

I'm not saying the iPhone isn't better, it's just not 5 times better.

KonGC

Gringo69

As soon as i get back to the USA in april im going to the apple store and buy the new released Ipad..From what I hear the new screen is unbelieveable to see also having a fingerprint resistant screen.The $500.00 model works fine for me...

If the new screen is the big selling point for you just wait for the new Samsung after all both screens (yes even the super duper ipad 3 screen) are made by Samsung and I can assure you that Samsung have a new screen for their next tablet a well...

Mang Kanor

Not so, you can still buy new phones running Android 2.2.

It's up to the manufacturer what version they need to run the phone.

And anyway, I doubt there are as many versions of Android as there are versions of iPhones.

Take a look at this deal, a 4.3 inch screen dual sim DELIVERED FREE for $115:00

"http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330651286800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649"

I'm not saying the iPhone isn't better, it's just not 5 times better.

KonGC

yes it is up to the manufacturer what version they wanna run on their phones but you think a new phone with android froyo or less will ever sell when Ice cream sandwich is already floating? even the dell streak which has a somewhat good specs but runs android 1.6 (donut?) didnt even sell well at the time it was released because a new version of android where already marketed (think froyo that time), same goes with Sony Xperia X10.

if you know how to root and tinker phones it isnt a problem BUT people are not all geeks, and people who are looking for a new phone will settle with new OS Version rather than buying an old version with bugs that arent fix yet.

KennyF
you think a new phone with android froyo or less will ever sell when Ice cream sandwich is already floating?

Yes, because most folk don't know or care what the OS is nevermind what version.

KonGC

Mang Kanor

Yes, because most folk don't know or care what the OS is nevermind what version.

KonGC

if thats the case why androids still updating if most of the folks arent keen on looking what version they are buying?

why nokia slides downs? they were once the king of phones before ios and android came. it must be because they are slow on updating the symbian OS that may optimize the touch screen experience.

why samsung, htc and other phone manufacturers ships their latest phones with the new version if people buy an old version of their phone? they might gain more if they run their phones with the old versions.

why RIM's updating their OS if the version 5.0 which has an all text sub-menu is better and can sell more than the current OS7 their phones are running right now?

Edited by Aldin
KennyF

if thats the case why androids still updating if most of the folks arent keen on looking what version they are buying?

why nokia slides downs? they were once the king of phones before ios and android came. it must be because they are slow on updating the symbian OS that may optimize the touch screen experience.

why samsung, htc and other phone manufacturers ships their latest phones with the new version if people buy an old version of version?

why RIM's updating their OS if the version 5.0 which has an all text sub-menu is better and can sell more than the current OS7 their phones are running right now?

>>>> if thats the case why androids still updating if most of the folks arent keen on looking what version they are buying?

Android is being used on so many phones because it is free.

Android mostly update to accommodate more devices. Icecream Sandwich is just the old Android with additions for tablets.

Google did not think tablets would be such a big thing when they first built Android for smart phones on top of Linux.

If you buy a phone with Android 2.3 you are not missing out because the improvements in 4.0 are only minor on a phone.

Symbian in general is not as good as Android and it costs phone manufacturers to install it. Symbian were late looking at touch phones and it shows. I had a Sony Ericsson with Symbian and it was rather primitive.

>>>> why samsung, htc and other phone manufacturers ships their latest phones with the new version if people buy an old version of version?

I didn't say people bought old versions, I said they didn't know what they were buying, they just want a phone.

And don't forget, manufacturers don't have to pay to load Android nor are they forced to load the latest by Google the way Microsoft forces updates to Windows.

And as an aside, most if not all apps for Android are backwards compatible.

(And anyway, I think you'll find quite a few manufacturers are still loading Android 2.3)

KonGC